FOOD IN ORAL CAVITY?

jenicillin

Post   » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:40 am

I have a new foster pig (maybe 2) that the rescue couldn't care for due to time constraints. she had an infected uterine tumor removed and stopped eating. i took her her in and have been giving critical care and meds, but there is always food in her mouth just sitting there. once it was poop (go ahead and eat poop!). googling food in oral cavity got me some weird stuff. her incisors look great. what reason would she have for not swallowing critical care or some hay? she is finally pooping, and reasonably active, but she still retains a lot of food in her mouth.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:03 am

Are you weighing daily? How long ago was the surgery? Does she show any signs of pain? Has she had a good oral exam by a skilled veterinarian?

jenicillin

Post   » Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:44 pm

yes to daily weigh-in. the surgery was 6 days ago now and she is still on metacam, antibiotics and reglan. she's pretty active and lively and doesn't seem to be in particular pain. i just got her two days ago. i will get them to take a look at her teeth, thank you.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:06 am

The last time I brought Lacey in I was concerned she wasn't eating enough and she had lost a little weight. I was alarmed when the vet checked her mouth and said it was hard to see her teeth with all the food around them. Then she said guinea pigs always have food in their mouths so checking their teeth can be tricky.

I would agree that a good oral exam would be good idea just to make sure there is nothing else going on.

jenicillin

Post   » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:55 am

so maybe it is just a gross thing she does? i mean, they all do some pretty gross rodent things. they are going to look at her teeth in a couple of days. there was some concern about not doing anesthetics again too soon. but, she is eating again? i really want to keep her alive. she looks like a little tiny loaf of bread. i've been rinsing her mouth out before meds, to make sure she really ingests.

jenicillin

Post   » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:56 am

google tells me she is probably a silkie cross? i don't know breeds at all. they are all just little fluff muffins.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:41 pm

You can evaluate her weight using guidelines a vet provided me with to help tell if a guinea pig is at a good weight or over or underweight. Look a little further down this page:
https://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:45 pm

I think they eat like a conveyor belt. When the input stops, everything just kind of sits there until the conveyor starts again!

jenicillin

Post   » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:07 pm

according to the page linked, she is probably too fat. i don't think i want her to lose weight due to not eating after surgery tho. i asked for more info, and she is at least 3, and was surrendered to the rescue with "no known medical issues" but had to have tumors removed a week later. maybe some people are jerks. she does seem to actually be swallowing her food now, so that is less of a concern. i had never seen that before? thank you all.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:42 pm

How much does she weigh? Most recommended weight charts you'll see are based on lab animals, not pets, and they're very light.

jenicillin

Post   » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:14 am

currently 1250 grams, but she is also little?

jenicillin

Post   » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:26 am

very short and round, long overcoat with a flat little face