Urgent - Bladder stone stuck in urethra?

schaefa2792

Post   » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:49 pm

I took my 3yo female guinea pig Cinnamon to the vet about 2 weeks ago because I noticed she was losing a bit of weight and there was blood in her urine. They did an x-ray and confirmed that she had 2 bladder stones, 1 of which was in her urethra. I was prescribed Meloxicam and Gabapentin to relax her and ease the pain; the vet was hopeful the stone in the urethra might come out on its own. One week later, Cinnamon seemed to be in increased pain and was not eating well -- took her back to the vet, who, under anesthesia, was able to move the bladder stone out of the urethra. This left 1 stone still in the bladder, which we planned to remove via surgery in a couple weeks after she had recovered and was stable from the 1st procedure.

Now it is a few days later, and Cinnamon is in a lot of pain when trying to urinate. I suspect the 2nd stone may be on its way out. I am extremely worried that it is getting stuck in the urethra. She keeps trying to urinate every couple of minutes, is squeaking in pain, and little urine is coming out. There is some coming out but not very much at all. I called both of the ER vets in the area (it is Sunday so my normal vet is closed today) and neither has an exotics vet in today. I can take her in first thing tomorrow to our normal exotics vet, but I am worried that the stone will block urine from coming out, she will be immense pain, and possibly die?? Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this? Does anyone know how I can make her more comfortable until I can take her to the vet tomorrow? I gave her meloxicam (a larger dose, approved by the vet) and Gabapentin this morning but she still seems to be in quite a bit of pain. I am almost considering if euthanasia would be the most compassionate option as she seems to be suffering quite a lot, but I don't know... I hate to see her like this. :(

Thank you.

schaefa2792

Post   » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:42 pm

Also... she will eat fresh veggies and is eating a little hay. I have been supplementing with critical care and water. She is acting a bit more alert/not quite as in pain as when I posted this an hour ago, so I'm getting a bit more optimistic that she will be okay until I can get her to the vet first thing tomorrow.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:04 pm

I am so sorry you are in this circumstance. It sounds like you realize how serious this is and how important it is to get her medical care.

I so hope that the improvement you have seen indicates she will make it until tomorrow. There are times we feel so helpless, especially when our pets are in pain and there are no vets available.

Please let us know how she does tonight.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:31 am

Keep syringing water to her -- that might help flush the stone out.