Amelia's medical thread

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:44 pm

We got Amelia last Tues. She hasn't been interested in her pellets at all. She was eating some hay the first couple of days, but not that much and doesn't eat it at all now. She mainly likes to poop in it. We've ordered some softer hay for her to see if that makes a difference.

She eats lettuce, green pepper and carrots and eats her Oxbow vitamin C tablet (very hard). Daughter's been giving her CC which she's been enthusiastic about up until today.

She's had several daily floor times but wasn't interested in roaming this afternoon. She also has hardly pooped today. Daughter also thought she heard a pain sound when Amelia was peeing, but only once.

She went to the vet last week. He checked her for mites & lice. She does have mites and they gave us some revolution for her. They also did a fungal culture. She has a bare spot on her back.

I don't have any more info on the vet visit. Husband took her & couldn't go in. I guess they didn't give him any more info. Diagnosis is open.

Any ideas?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:35 pm

Knowing you, you are weighing her daily, no? What kind of pellets is she getting? Change can be very stressful - stress can contribute to medical conditions. If you were someone new who just showed up, I would be wondering about a URI - only based on her starting to wind down, not eating as much, not interested in roaming.

Were the mites a significant problem? Was she scratching a lot? The pain from mites can also sometimes interfere with appetite.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:31 am

Daughter weighed her once - she'd lost about 3 oz. from what the humane society said she weighed. She was also weighed at the vet but that's probably on a health report that is still in husband's car. She's hard to weigh because she tries to jump out of the "pan" - can't think of the word.

She's getting Oxbow pellets. I didn't notice her scratching but she does have a 2" long bald spot on her back. If that's from the mites, I'd consider that a pretty bad infestation. I can't believe the humane society didn't catch that.

She ate her hay overnight for the first time and was acting somewhat better yesterday evening. No URI signs as yet but we'll be watching.

Daughter tends to panic and we lost 2 pigs from last Oct-Dec, so she's really hyper.

I agree stress may have a lot to do with it. Because we're having to force feed her she's getting a lot more handling than a newbe would usually get. She has become comfortable being held by both girls.

Thanks for the input & hand-holding. :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:25 pm

I have permanently misplaced my magic wand. I so wish I could set any ill guinea pig right!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:06 am

Good to hear she ate some hay overnight. You would think if she had a really bad mite infestation, the humane society vet would have noticed. But they don't always pay as much attention to the critters as they do dogs and cats.

When I weigh Lacey, I put her in a shoe box with a lid. Otherwise she would jump out, or keep turning around and it's almost impossible to get an accurate weight.

I hope Amelia starts eating more and feeling better.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:50 am

That's a good idea - the shoe box. I always thought Lacey was perfect in every way. :) Yesterday daughter weighed her in her sleeping bag and that worked. She is so darned big, it's hard to get hold of her to control her.

We're going to skip the green pepper today & see if that makes a difference.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:46 am

“I always thought Lacey was perfect in every way” - she certainly thinks she is!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:57 am

Emelia (Miss Fuzz) has settled in & all the eating problems are gone. She's very happy to be held by us.

We've been working on introductions for a week, trying to follow the suggestions on the care guide. The initial encounter was in a hall. Emelia was the aggressor, with chasing, huffing & lunging. Vicky, the youngest & smallest also did some huffing and other aggressive behavior.

Things seemed to be progressing ok, so we put Emelia in the big cage and Emelia chased, lunged and was caught with fur in her mouth. We tried a buddy bath and another cage session - didn't go too well. So this morning, back to the hall & Emelia and Vicky got into a fight - a tussle - & Vicky drew blood on Emelia's nose.

Is it time to give up?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:13 pm

I'd leave them separated for a few days, and then try again with each of them having a tiny drop of vanilla on both nose and butt.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:34 pm

Interesting idea...we'll try it!