June - Sludge in Urine

GuineapigM

Post   » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:54 pm

Hi,

My 6.5 year old female guinea pig has white thickish urine for the last week. I assume this is sludge and after some research have started giving her Britta filtered water, and stopped giving her high calcium foods. She only gets 1/8 cup oxbow pellets each morning. She also gets oxbow Timothy hay. Her diet is 1/2 green or red leaf lettuce then a combo of red or yellow peppers, cucumber, carrots or celery.

The sludge started a week after she was on antibiotics for a sore on her face. She had negative side effects from the anti-biotic and stopped eating. She was taken off ASAP at that time and it took her a week with meds and critical care to recover. I’m not sure if these are related but I’m thinking it’s not likely a coincidence.

I’m going to call the vet tomorrow because I’m honestly out of ideas but I wanted to ask here for some feedback. I’ve read about others mentioning changing the pellet but I’d feel better talking to my vet before doing that.

Thank you!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:04 pm

The Oxbow pellets are fine.

Is she dehydrated? Or has she been inactive? Both of those things can contribute to sludgy urine.

GuineapigM

Post   » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:10 pm

Hi,

Sorry I should have included that info. She’s not as active as I’d like her to be but she moves around through the day, but will lie down different places around the cage to relax. She’s slowed down a bit in general as she has gotten older. I haven’t notified a marked different in water consumption during this time it seems about same as it usually is.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Feb 07, 2021 8:31 pm

You may want to increase her water consumption for the time being. Offer her water via syringe, perhaps 2 or 3 times a day if you can.

GuineapigM

Post   » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:35 pm

How much water? She drinks almost about the total of her current bottle each day which is 10 fluid ounces. I fill it through the day so it’s hard to say for certain.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:38 pm

Does she really drink all that much, or is she playing with the bottle? That's quite a bit for a pig to drink.

GuineapigM

Post   » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:55 pm

I’ve never seen her play with it. But I’d say for certain she drinks about a quarter to a half through the morning. Then another quarter to a half through the evening. I filled it this afternoon around 3 pm and it’s 9:50 pm and about another quarter is gone. Also her poop looks healthy not dry

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:51 am

Ah, sounds like she is adequately hydrated then.

GuineapigM

Post   » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:05 am

Yeah, so I’m confused as to why the sludge and how to help her. Is it possible that it’s caused by the antibiotics messing with her digestive tract?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:15 am

Which kind of Oxbow pellets are you giving her? The timothy based ones?

GuineapigM

Post   » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:56 pm

Oxbow essentials adult guinea pig food. Says on the back made with Timothy hay.

GuineapigM

Post   » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:03 pm

Today she not seem to be drinking as much. If I wanted to try giving a little bit of water via syringe how much should I give?