Breathing issues

Oreo2

Post   » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:36 pm

I have been struggling with my guinea pig since this past summer. I took her to a vet recommended for guinea pigs because she had a chronic slightly crusty eye. On the way there she got very upset and almost died by the time we got there. Barely breathing and high temp. It took her several days to recover. They said she possibly had the start of pneumonia. I had never heard any breathing issues at all before this, no runny nose, etc. Once home she did have a runny nose and odd breathing sounds. Was on smz for a month. Got better for a month then second xrays done when breathing sounds returned. Showed a few spots in lungs but nothing substantial. She had a mild fever. Did Baytril for a month. Got better within days of starting besides one off day. Then it came back again last month. New xrays showed nothing at all and normal temp. Vet was reluctant to give meds so we tried meloxicam and saline nebulizer. No improvements for 2 weeks so started smz again. Within 2 days breathing improved but I can still hear a little after nebulizer. The sound is like a mucousy breathing sound. Besides after that first trip to vet she does not act sick. Eating, stool normal, screaming for veggies, popcorning, no sneezing or mucous discharge, etc. So it seems antibiotics help but a month or so after stopping sounds return. The university the xrays were sent to only suggested a ct scan of her sinuses to rule out those issues. My vet (treats exotics) said if there were heart issues or fungal issues we would have seen on xrays by now (those were my only two thoughts). Age unknown but guessing 5-6. On oxbow pellets & hay, a cup of greens a day, vit c supplements, fleece bedding that is kept clean & washed with unscented detergent, no drafts and kept in bedroom with consistent temp. Also her 6 year old cagemate pig has never been sick so I assume nothing contagious. I do have a video of the breathing but not sure how to post.. Any ideas what this or or anything else to try? Thank you

tumble

Post   » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:02 pm

Sorry to hear about this.

My very experienced exotics vet says that there's a trend among exotics vets (which he approves of) to give antibiotics for longer periods than people used to do. So she might need a longer course of antibiotics to completely clear up a lingering infection. (It's definitely possible, although I don't know how common it is, for someone to have a lingering infection that doesn't show up in tests.)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:00 am

I am sorry she is having these problems. It is good that your vet considered heart issues (I think the xrays would have shown this).

Is there anything environmental that might be affecting her? Any mold in the house? What is your hay source?

Oreo2

Post   » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:43 pm

Sorry, new to this and just saw comments. When she is on the antibiotics it has been for a month at a time.
As far as environmental concerns I have tried to think of everything possible. Definitely no mold, no drafts, no diffusers, unscented detergent. Hay is oxbow bagged Timothy hay. I have occasionally given her a hand full of other hay but main kind is oxbow. Thank you!

tumble

Post   » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:55 am

A month is around the "longer period" that I was suggesting. It might be worth asking your vet about trying even longer though. I'm sure they'll have an opinion!

Best of luck!