elongated roots and breath problems?

Julpsi

Post   » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:01 pm

Hi!

About 4 months ago my 4-year-old guinea pig Hertta started having weird breathing symptoms. First, once in a while, I heard weird sounds coming from her breathing when she sleeped. Then more symptoms started coming and weird breathing sounds started to be daily. Her "breathing movement" started also getting bigger and it looks sometimes like she is having hard time to breath. She also has runny nose all the time. She also lost weight.

I visited vet and Hertta get antibiotics, which helped little bit, but didn't remove the problem. Next time the vet took the x-rays and it showed that there was no any kind of liquid or tumors in lungs. Vet said that Hertta's heart may be little bit larger than guinea pig's usually, but it is hard to say. Vet gave her heart medicine Fortekor, but the symptoms didn't disappear or atleast the medicine didn't have noticeable effect to Hertta's condition. After two weeks the vet stopped the Fortekor regimen.

Now Hertta's condition is better and she is happy looking and active most of the time. Her weight is also started to gain up. But sometimes, when sleeping, weird sounds are still coming from her breathing and once in a while she is looking like she is having pain. Also the other nosetril is still leaking.

Two years ago hertta was diagnosed with elongated roots but they have been symptomless since then. Does anybody else's Guinea pig had same kind of symptoms and can these symptoms be linked with elongated roots? I'm also wondering, can there be something in her nose that might be causing the symptoms?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:46 pm

Could the new xrays be compared to the xrays that were taken to diagnose elongated roots? If so, it might be possible to identify or rule out the elongated roots as a possible cause of the sounds coming from her breathing.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:31 pm

I'm guessing that the elongated roots diagnosis may have been incorrect. Treating them is a pretty drastic effort, and doesn't often have a good outcome. But leaving them alone just means that they keep growing, IMO.

But there no connection between the roots and the breathing problem -- she breathing from the lungs, and the roots are in the mouth. There *might* be a connection between elongated upper roots and the sinus drainage, but an x-ray should be able to confirm whether the roots are poking through into the sinus area.

It is also possible that she just has a small piece of hay stuck up her nose which is irritating it. But nasal passages in a guinea pig are tiny, and there's really no good way to extract anything that might be in the nose.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:46 am

What kind of bedding are you using? Some types of wood shavings or shredded paper can be dusty or contain fragrances that irritate the respiratory system and cause breathing problems or a runny nose.