Eye ulcer snd vet visit

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Jan 29, 2022 5:20 am

I feel your pain. No booster or vaccine for me, but there's a 24 hour flu bug that swept through our house and it had us all under the weather. All better now, but I still had to clean cages and to top that off, my special boy, Mr Bubbles had a small relapse with his eye so I had to clean, flush and put his eye ointment in. Luckily, he's otherwise healthy and doesn't require hand feeding.

You can get through this. I can sense your resolve and your desire to give her the best care you possibly can. You've already done so much for her. I know she's worth the time and effort you've giving her. We are all with you and rooting for you both. Keep up the good work.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:28 am

You need to call your vet this morning and ask about giving her the Metoclopramide. If she isn't pooping, this is not good at all. Her gut needs to move.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:46 am

ETA to the above: Is she still very distended?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:40 am

[Edit - I posted this before reading Sef's posts which more clearly advise you to talk to the vet asap]

Explain the distended stomach and lack of poop situation to the vet and if advised, I would give it.

There is a picture of my guinea pig's healing incision on this page. At the time I was fearful of handling her too much after the spay so only took pictures later in her recovery.
https://www.guinealynx.info/spay.html

Tomorrow (today) will be better! And you absolutely did the right thing getting the booster shot.

sozansound2

Post   » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:29 am

i can call but we are in the middle of a blinding blizzard currently.
Edit: i called and they are not open right now.

the surgeon was the one who gave me the motility meds since i had asked her. she is distended but when she eats, she gets a bit more distended

i feel better, way better aside from the headache that hurts to move
Last edited by sozansound2 on Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

sozansound2

Post   » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:32 am

she ate 80% of her lettuce this morning. i did not think she would eat it personally.

sozansound2

Post   » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:54 am

something i think i should say but i don't know if anyone has ever experienced this. this is specifically with the 1 cc syringe with the tip cut off.

you usually see your pigs when feeding critical care is they push their tongues out and around the syringe at times as they are swallowing. well last night she was doing just that and i guess she pushed her tongue right into the opening of the cut off tip of the 1 cc syringe. well because there is suction from the plunger keeping the critical care in place, so did her tongue when she accidently slipped it in.

if this every happens to you, do not pull the syringe out as you will probably yank her tongue and hyper extend it. just push the plunger like you are dispensing critical care and the tongue will come out. luckily i noticed what was going on at the time.

sozansound2

Post   » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:02 pm

here is a picture of her distention. she did eat a good amount of lettuce plus her 2 meds and 3 water syringe so she looks more distended than usual put you get the picture. sorry for it being blurry but i used her pig hut so she can walk towards it to stretch her body for the picture.

I will give her the motility drug when i feed her critical care in a few hours. want the pain meds to kick in for her.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:13 pm

I'd give it to her about an hour before feeding, if you're going to use it. It needs a chance to get into her system. She looks pretty significantly distended/bloated.

sozansound2

Post   » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:15 pm

alright, ill take her out now and give it to her. does the metoclopramide help her poop easier i assume?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:32 pm

It stimulates the gastrointestinal tract. How long has she not pooped? Looking at that picture, she cannot be comfortable at all.

You might also consider gentle massage or using a small vibrator to also try to get things moving. There is a thread in here somewhere about how to massage a pig who is bloated. Perhaps Lynx can find it and post a link.

sozansound2

Post   » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:34 pm

the threat could help and she pooped on the 25th and 26th but 27th and now i have not seen any. i saw a poop the other day but it was only 1 and it was dry so i dont know from how long it was

and yea, at first i thought it was inflammation till i started looking around for poop and then i started thinking maybe its cause she cant poop

i have been petting her all the way down to her belly every time before i give her any meds or critical care but i don't know if that is the way to massage a pig doe