Eye ulcer snd vet visit

sozansound2

Post   » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:27 pm

Is this it?

sozansound2

Post   » Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:30 pm

She gas lost almost 30% of her underbelly fur since the first image as well.

Also spotted some fur loss around her 2 lower paws.

Here is an image

And I don't know. I also feel omething is off about her belly just by looking. I don't know if it is because of the weigh but it is hard to tell for me.

Here is an image about that concern. I am talking about near her hind legs. It just looks big no? She is currently walking so she is stretched out in this image.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:15 pm

The grease gland, I think the dark hair to the side of the bare skin may be the grease gland. It might be slightly oily to you or sometimes a little crusty. The oil helps them groom their hair.

The last picture, it dose seem like it is somewhat lopsided and perhaps swollen. You are best placed to examine her, compare the two sides by feel and see what you think. Her abdomen does seem swollen in the picture above.

So at this point your vet feels this is ovarian cysts but feels further examination by ultrasound will provide more information and/or confirmation?

It might be worthwhile to email Pinta through the board mailer and see if she has any ideas (give her a link to your topic). Pinta has had many many guinea pigs over the years, most adopted and some with unusual medical conditions.

sozansound2

Post   » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:36 pm

A few months ago when I posted about crust surrounding both nipples, I tought she had or is developing an ovarion cyst with all the advice given here. I went to the vet but she ended up saying it is probably because of old age because her x rays didn't show anything. Fast foward months later aka now, because of all the hair loss, i am feeling allot more strongly the cyst is the case.

Tomorrow is her vet visit.

I did inspect her when I was taking those pictures. It liked to shift to either side when I was looking or standing her up. Not fast doe. Sometimes when she would be eating, I tend to rub my hands all the way down and some fingers would reach to the sides were it looks maybe distended and it would push into her stomach and after a few seconds it would bulge back out slowly. All the times I would feel around, nothing feels hard at all.

Board mailer?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:55 am

Do a search for posts by Pinta, click on her profile and send an email.

Thanks for bringing up your initial issue (the crusty nipples). Sometimes it is difficult to focus on all the signs as more signs develop. This is what makes keeping all posts about a guinea pig on one topic so valuable. I do not recall seeing such extensive hair loss solely due to ovarian cysts though and in the back of my mind wonder if something else is going on.

I wish I had more experience to draw from. Let us know how the vet visit goes.

sozansound2

Post   » Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:26 pm

just got back from the vet.

The vet said she did feel a mass around were the ovaries lie. she mentioned it could be an ovarian cyst, a tumor or be dealing with both. she also said there isn't a way to confirm which one it is without doing an exploratory which is not an option as my Guinea is in her mid 5 years of age. she also mentioned most tumors that form in guineas tend to be benign so there is that.

I did mentioned about using hcg to her since if it is a cyst, it should help. she excused herself to go check in her medical forums to get back to me and said it looks like it has been used but also mentioned there is another one which is kind of the same thing.

the hcg is an injectable which can cause pain around the injection site. she also mentioned about an implant that last for 6 months called Deslorelin which tends to be used on ferrets but it is a hormone as well. has anyone heard of deslorelin or know someone who has used them on pigs and is it worth it?

of course if it is a tumor, none of those 2 things will help but hoping it is a cyst (even doe i do not want it there in the first place lol)

also, is there really no way to tell if a cyst or tumor at all without an exploratory? is there really no other way for confirmation?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:11 pm

Yes, that product has been used. Do a search of the site using the word "deslorelin" and you will get a page with multiple posts referenced. If you give it a try and it helps, that is a good sign.

sozansound2

Post   » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:36 pm

is there any other way to get confirmation if it is a cyst or a tumor?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:04 pm

Biopsies are often used to determine what a growth is, but the problem in this case is that if it's a cyst, puncturing it for the biopsy would just cause ii to rupture, and then you'd have all that cyst gunk free in the abdomen. Not a good scenario.

If it's a tumor, and if it's malignant, there's really no good way to treat a guinea pig for cancer. The goal would be to keep her comfortable as long as possible.

Is there some particular reason, other than just curiosity, that you want to know exactly what it is? Maybe I'm missing something, but since surgery isn't an option, I don't know how that knowledge would help determine a treatment plan.

sozansound2

Post   » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:20 pm

i was just wondering since cyst are filled with fluids so i wanted to see if an ultrasound would be a good way to see if there is free fluid inside. i had multiple abscess and a massive surgery and an ultrasound was the reason how i was able to get a confirmation in the beginning. i just did not want to put in a hormone implant if it was a tumor.

but yea, i looked into Deslorelin here in the forums and i think it would be the best course. since she has lost allot of fur, i feel if the implant is working i would notice immediately. the good thing is everything is good except the nipple crust, slight distended stomach and fur loss.

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:46 pm

Hey all. I ended up letting the vet know I wanted to go foward with deslorelin implant. I received a call from one of the nurses to let me know a prescription has been written down for an injection shot. I wanted to go foward with the implant, not an injection shot. Apparently she did more research and said that an injection in the name of cysporelin is the best one for guinea pigs with cyst. I have no clue about that.

I was cought off guard because she only told me to do my research on hcg injection or the implant over here in the forums in our last vet appointment. Anyone know if cysporelin has been used before?

My tought process was to try the implant and minimize the amount of shots towards my piggy to minimize frequent visits and stress her out since she does not like to be handled a ton. Ofcourse, if there was no response to the implant, then I would go with the injection.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:52 pm

I think it's cystorelin.