Eye ulcer snd vet visit

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:45 pm

Metoclopramide isn't an appetite stimulant; it's to help keep the gut moving if it slows down due to not eating enough or sluggish motility after surgery. I'd suggest handfeeding Critical Care to try to keep her eating and to keep her weight stable.

You're giving her such a small amount of Metacam (0.15cc) that it would be hard for her to choke on that, I'd think.

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:31 pm

yea, i did feed critical care. 1 syringe full and she did all the work. she loves bananas and it was apple and banana flavor. once i dropped her back in her cage, she did go to the hay on the floor of the hay box and hate a little bit of hay but that was about it. it wasn't enough to make me comfortable but it is something.

i was always told that if you place the syringe a bit inside a guineas mouth and they still don't chew that you should not administer anything because it may make its way into their lungs. this was just an example of what happened with my male pig and thought i should ask.

the only toy she even pays attention is the loofah and I'm not gonna use that anymore. i have 2 others that use natural material but she pays no mind to them because they are soft texture. just like the hay, she loves hard veggies, hay and toys (because of the loofah)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:00 pm

The syringe needs to go back and to the side, and then jiggle it a little. The jiggling can encourage chewing. With anything like Critical Care or larger amounts of medication, or of course water, yes---you don't want them to aspirate on it. And if they're not chewing, it can most certainly happen. But to squirt that small of an amount of Metacam (that's just a bit more than the tip of the syringe), especially if you angle it to the side, should not be enough to cause a problem if she doesn't appear to be chewing at the syringe.

Keeping my fingers crossed for a good outcome. :)

sozansound2

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:10 pm

right now my guinea is extremely picky with hay. she only eats the flowers so I tend to dig into the big 50lb hay box in search of them. i have 2nd cut timothy hay so there are some here and there. she ate the harder strands of hay but today she hasn't paid any mind to it. she used to eat flowers, hard hay, and leafy hay before the stone and just a bit after the stones confirmation.

since she eats her veggies plus the few flowers i give her, how much critical care syringes should i give?
i also bought a 2lb 1st cut timothy hay and hope it comes soon but if i had to guess on the latest it can arrive would probably be Monday

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:47 pm

Whatever parts of the hay she'd like to eat right now is fine. We are pulling for her! Continue to weigh daily.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:56 pm

There are wooden sticks that are safe for them to chew on if you can't get her to chew the soft ones or don't want to give them to her. From what you are saying, it sounds like she's chewing enough to keep her teeth from overgrowing. I just mentioned it because I experienced overgrown teeth with BJ from weeks of handfeeding and no chewing. I ended up having to put him down. The overgrown teeth wasn't the main reason. He had other, deeper issues which made ending his suffering inevitable. Try these. All of my pigs love them. If you buy them from Amazon, remember to use the link on this site.

Kaytee Perfect Chew Guinea Pig

I know your pig is in good hands. Keep doing what you're doing. You're giving her the best chance she could possibly have.

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:37 am

I'll give it a shot

And just before I was gonna sleep, I saw her strain herself for the first time. I think when the surgeon went around her bladder trying to feel the stone probably moved said stone to a much more painful place for her. I swear this happened the same way with my male last time. She was doing pretty well up till I took her home. It wasn't bad to the point when she peed yesterday I was surprised I didn't hear her vocalize.

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:01 am

Woke up at 5am thinking I heard her vocalize (I could of been dreaming) so I went to check and it looks like for the 5 hours she has been on her own, she did not leave her pig hut the whole time.

Water levels are the same and hay has been left the same.

I removed her pig hut and she stretched and actually went to go eat hay. By eat hay, looking for the fuzzy flower heads (which there aren't any) and some other specific strand of hay thay i have no clue what it is. She found like 5 or 6 of them.

I dug again in the hay box for flowers and whatever the specific strand of hay she was looking for (literally kept giving her random strands) and she only ever took the flower heads. She went to drink water. She took a whole 2 bites of the water bottle and thats about it.

I am even surprised she even wanted to eat hay, or in this case attempt but if im not awake she probably would go hours without anything cycling in her systems.

I think the 1st cut Timothy hay will help out allot but I jist don't know if it will be delivered in time. There was no way I could predict this level of pickiness for hay.

Edit: finally, I waited a whole hour and she took a long drink at the water bottle. Atleast makes me a bit comfortable to go back to sleep. I was falling while standing the whole time.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:32 am

If I'm not mistaken, those fuzzy flower heads are higher in calcium than the strands and leaves. We had a discussion about that here several years ago -- you might be able to google it up. Or to google up some nutritional information about them.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:37 am

Just a note here for other readers, hay is the BEST method of ensuring your guinea pig's teeth are properly worn. I have never recommend chew sticks (I think they are a gimmick and not necessary at all).

You have critical care and have been hand feeding? It sounds like she is in pain. Chewing can be a sign of pain, too. I wonder if some sort of vibrator might help the stone move to a more comfortable place.

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:57 am

Yes I have been hand feeding with critical care.

I asked about how much syringe feedings i should do if she eats her veggies but not enough hay?

Really? Those flowers heads are higher in calcium? So what am I supposed to do if that is all she wants to eat?

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:50 am

Anything that I may talk to her in changing? I know penicillin is not good at all. Any alternatives?