Eye ulcer snd vet visit

sozansound2

Post   » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:49 pm

she got her 3rd cystorelin shot. cant even tell she even had hair loss but she does look weird because she is a full dark grey colored pig but now she hats lots of places that is light grey and she looks hilarious. she spends more time outside than inside her hut and wheeks at any movement. she is not the same pig at all. i knew she tends to have her chatty times but not like this. makes me wonder how long the cyst was releasing hormones till it decided to start having her loose hair. for a single pig, she is one active girl.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:07 am

That is a super result! It sounds like the cystorelin is making a wonderful and positive difference!

Thanks so much for the continued updates!

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:46 am

she even gets exited for water when the bottle is empty and no problem. appreciate the help and advice from everyone.

sozansound2

Post   » Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:45 am

quick question. a while back i started making my own fleece pads since some of my big cage fleece has started to not absorb very well. my pig has started to flip them and chew them which ruins them. was wondering if there are any etsy pages or other places were they sell these fleece pads since mines do have flaws.. i would appreciate it.

sozansound2

Post   » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:05 pm

another issues just showed up. I found my female pig whining (what i believe is slight pain. the same kind of whining my male pig was doing and found out it was stones a few weeks after) when she went to a corner to pee. it wasn't loud but you had to really put your ear as close as possible to hear.

that isn't the worse part about it. there was blood coming out. the picture I attach shows no fresh poop so I assume it was all from peeing since i took this picture rght as she left the corner. super unfortunate since we just resolved the hormone issue (which she has been super happy since. no issues presented that i was aware of). plus, she loves to drink water so she pees pretty frequently.

sozansound2

Post   » Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:28 pm

she well could of developed a stone since the last time she had an xray was back in august 2021 (when she was having her hair loose and suspected it could be an ovarion cyst). The vet did palpate her ovaries and she felt something. after the hormone injections, she was not able to feel anything in her ovaries anymore and hair started growing back a few weeks after till all her hair was back to normal.

if it isn't a stone, can other things like UTI cause bleeding with pain? i still want to do another x ray to confirm no stones but i just want other things that can cause blood with pain while peeing.

if UTI can cause something like this too, is septin the better meds for it as well?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:30 pm

If there is a UTI, Bactrim (I think aka septrim) is generally well tolerated. But odds are high that it is a stone, especially if you heard her vocalize.

I know she is in good hands with you. Let us know what the xray shows.

sozansound2

Post   » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:19 pm

i hope it is a UTI because if it is a stone, she is turning about 6 years old so there wouldn't be anything i can do to resolve the issue aside from painkillers and making her comfortable.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:39 am

Get the x-ray asap. Take it from me. Sammy had the same symptoms and I lost him because I let the vet convince me that he didn't have a stone because they couldn't "feel" it when they palpatated his bladder. If I had insisted on that x-ray on his first vet visit, he might have stood a chance. I say might because when they finally took the picture after 3 visits and several hundred dollars, it was the size of a tic tac and the surgery would have been pretty risky at that point because of his age and the size of the stone. His condition deteriorated very quickly, but when I took him in for the first visit, he was still pretty strong, hadn't lost that much weight yet and stood a much better chance of getting through surgery. You can see the xray on his medical thread.
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 6&start=40

Whether or not they could have successfully removed it, I'll never know, but at least I could have saved him some of the pain and suffering he went through while they treated him for a misdiagnosed UTI. I still can't forgive myself and I don't want anyone else to ever feel this way, so get that x-ray as soon as you possibly can so that if it is a bladder stone, you can at least treat the pain so your pig doesn't suffer while you make the determination on what to do for her.

sozansound2

Post   » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:09 am

Trust me, I wasn't gonna leave the vet till an xray was done to rule that out. Just dropped her off, just waiting till she is seen

sozansound2

Post   » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:20 pm

so xray showed a small stone sadly. i got Metacam (0.15ml twice a day for 1 week, after 1 week just once a day) for pain and enrofloxacin (0.16ml twice a day for 2 weeks) for inflammation. pretty sure these were the same meds i got for my male pig when he had his stone. any meds i may be missing for this situation?

they tried to collect a urine sample per my request to make sure she don't have an ongoing infection (just incase) but urine was not enough sadly. i don't know if i should go back in a few days while my female pig recovers from the stress she may have experienced at the vet. kind of concerned about it. let me know your advice for this one.

they recommended me to reduce her calcium intake (trust me i was thinking about this the second i dropped her off) on veggies. the only veggies i give her is green/red lettuce twice a day and a different color bell peppers around night time everyday. very few times i give her a small piece of banana (only fruit i have seen her really love) and very rare a may give 1 strand or 2 of parsley because of the high calcium contents so i am careful with this. oxbow pellets every other day. i don't believe the veggies i give her are super high in calcium but the pellets are my concern for this. i feel i should reduce her pellet intake some more while increasing her veggie intake instead with more opportunities for her to drink more water (she is already a drinking machine at times). every time i switch the extra fleece i place on top of the location of her pig hut, it always has powdery substances. not every time but they are there.

if the veggies are not the issue, maybe she is a sensitive pig towards pellets? i want to reduce the pellets and see if I notice less powder at least because i have no experience in taking care of a piggy with no access to pellets (I know it is possible but have no clue on it).

something important to note just for reminders, she is nearing 6 years of age so i feel surgery is not the play here unfortunately.
my male pig passed away the night he got his stone surgery done and he was also 5 years of age so it does hurt allot more she is end of 5 years of age and also developed a stone. i hoped this would never happen.

any advice is appreciated.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:52 pm

Some pigs are just prone to stones. A few have even developed stones within three weeks of having them removed.

You can modify the diet, but I'm not optimistic about that helping. I would completely stop the parsley, and avoid herbs in general. Also avoid romaine lettuce. It's not particularly high in calcium, but it does cause excess urinary calcium in some pigs although not in all.

As far as I know, the best two things you can do are to drastically increase her water intake, and make me be more active. The more she moves, the more likely the sludge in the bladder is to be peed out rather than clumping into a stone.