Eye ulcer snd vet visit

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:38 pm

Your pictures are so nice and crisp.

Do you see broken hairs around that bald spot? It is also possible she is chewing on the hair and/or pulling it out.

Did you read the hair loss page link I posted above?
https://www.guinealynx.info/hairloss.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jul 28, 2021 11:49 pm

Has she been treated for mites?

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:27 am

since it is allot easier to take pictures when i don't have to pick her up, i grabbed another one. The skin is basically clean shave with no blood or bruising. I have not seen her constantly scratching or biting (unless grooming).

As for mite treatment, i would not be able to tell you. All i know is that when i adopted the pair, all the basics was already done with the male also being neutered. I rechecked the adoption papers incase they wrote said basics and there is no info about that.

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:01 am

I did check that link when I noticed the first bald spot as well. I just thought I should post here and see if there is something I may not be seeing.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:56 pm

On that hair loss link, there are a variety of reasons for hair loss listed. Metabolic diseases are another possibility.

This skin looks nice and clean which probably rules out mite, fungus, and bacterial infections.

sozansound2

Post   » Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:58 pm

Have you or anyone had experience with a pig with metabolic issues? What did the vets do to figure that out? Blood work?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:01 pm

I have not had any guinea pigs with metabolic issues, that I knew of.

It may be hormonal, too, though that is an unusual place for hair loss. It is usually along the sides of the abdomen (which your pig has, I think):
https://www.guinealynx.info/ovarian_cysts.html

sozansound2

Post   » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:37 am

I contacted my vet to bring her in but apparently her vet won't be there till August 23rd. Do you think I can wait that long? There is only 1 vet who sees guinea pigs there. If you need me to provide more pictures of certain spots, I would be happy too.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:43 pm

Read over the other symptoms of ovarian cysts. Monitor weight. Determine if you feel this is an important medical issue that should be checked out.

sozansound2

Post   » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:46 pm

She has crust around both her nipples (was mentioned in this thread months ago) and has those bald spots provided by the previous pictures.

I do not see her shoulders bonier. I touched around that area and I don't feel any bones so she has some meat around that area still.

Her stomach, I don't know if it is round because of her hind legs but nothing looks wide enough to me but I could be wrong.

She has always ate all her veggies and when it comes to pellet time, she always became very fidgety and tends to eat and run back to her hut but then come back and take more and run back again lol so I just leave it in her cage and let her eat them on her own time. Always an empty bowl in the end.

Poop looks good and the occasional white powder from her urine here and there. Behavior is good as well and never stops drinking water.

That is my observations.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:52 pm

I am guessing this is hormonal. I do not know that it is a significant medical risk. The most important thing is to monitor weight.

sozansound2

Post   » Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:12 pm

I have a question. How fast does hcg take affect in reducing the size of a cyst? Just wondering incase an emergency arises.