What does rales sounds like?

M1dn1ght

Post   » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:03 pm

I can't find a good youtube clip that clearly plays it.

Wynn sounds like he's wheezing, but he's not showing any other extraordinary symptoms. Still eating like a pig, not lethargic, no eye or nose goop, no obvious problems breathing.

I'd love to take him to the vet, but we are scared to leave the house with all the Covid-19 stuff going on.

Can anyone provide a clip of what rales sounds like? I'm concerned about a possible URI.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:17 pm

If you can record him and then upload to a host and share it here, we might be able to have a better idea of what you're hearing. Is this something that just came on suddenly today, or has been happening for a while?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:40 pm

Our vet had a setup where we stayed in our car while they were dealing with the pig. They came & got the pig wearing masks & gloves, discussed situation on the phone & we paid by phone. I had them put the pig in the back seat along with paperwork & any meds. Washed my hands, disinfected whatever (not the pig) after I brought everything in.

I'm not trying to convince you - I'm scared to death of covid. But they might be able to accommodate you enough that you feel semi ok with a vet visit. Hope you can figure it out without going to the vet.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:07 pm

Good point.

M1dn1ght

Post   » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:16 pm

Well, now he's not doing it.

He's made this sound before and sneezed it out rather quickly.

I was concerned because he was doing it all morning, but then I took him out of his enclosure and put him on my desk so I could keep an eye on him while I work - now he's not doing it at all.

I'm going to keep my eye on him and if it gets worse, I'll take him in. Really want to avoid that, but I will. I will also close him up in the smaller part of the enclosure to keep him away from my other boar, who can be a bit of a bully. I think Wynn could use a little extra peace for a few days and if it turns out to be a URI, I don't want Cisco getting sick too.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:11 pm

Sometimes they can get a piece if hay or food caught in the windpipe, or there can be dust or another irritant that will cause one to make a wheezy sound. It usually resolves with a fairly strong cough/sneeze. Has happened to several of ours over the years.

I would say just to closely monitor for now, but take him in if it returns or worsens.

M1dn1ght

Post   » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:46 pm

UPDATE:

The loud wheezing kept increasing and decreasing over the weekend, and he developed watery eyes that showed yellow on the cotton ball when I wiped them.

His vet was all booked up until next week, but I got to talk to him on the phone and he prescribed some Bactril based on my description of what was going on (LOVE this vet. The guy really cares).

Gave him his first dose this morning (boy he did NOT like that), and he seems to be resting quietly now. Fingers crossed!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:40 pm

Good. Sounds like he may have an upper respiratory infection. Do monitor closely for any worsening of his symptoms, and weigh daily and be on the lookout for reduced appetite or diarrhea. Baytril is good at knocking out infection, but it can also do a number on the gut.

We generally recommend using a probiotic with most antibiotics.

M1dn1ght

Post   » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:11 pm

Sef -

I see this in the discussion of hand-feeding when considering probiotics:

"A half of a dropping from a healthy guinea pig dissolved in a small amount of water and added to the food is reportedly the best way to re-inoculate the good bacteria and boost appetite, especially if your pet is on antibiotics. "

I have a healthy boar (separated a week ago from the sick one) and easy access to plenty of healthy droppings. Do I just take a fresh one from his enclosure and follow these instructions? I know there are a couple different types of guinea pig droppings and I want to make sure I use the right ones.

Also, the antibiotic he is on is Bactrim, not Baytril. Is there anything different I need to watch for?

M1dn1ght

Post   » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:31 pm

Whoops. Also forgot to confirm: I would do this with each antibiotic dose, right? I'm assuming it's not just a one-and-done.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:53 pm

Ideally it would be with each dose. Or at least once a day.

The green stinky cecal feces are the most nutritious and would do the best job but they are hard to find. Usually guinea pigs reingest them and they are never seen.

M1dn1ght

Post   » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:40 pm

OK good to know!

He's actually doing very well with the Bactrim. He's still eating and drinking normally and his breathing has quieted quite a bit.

Thanks so much for the advice!