Bella's Med Thread

skuchi

Post   » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:06 am

Thank you Lynx! After reading through a good bit of that it sounds like it may be arthritis. She's been on metacam in the past but it wasn't helping with the pain so the vet switched her to Tramadol, which she has been taking for about 2 1/2 months. The switch occurred about the same time as she started having issues with that left leg. I don't know if it's coincidence or not, the drug change was at the same appointment she got her HCG shot the vet thinks damaged a nerve. But I'm questioning the nerve damage hypothesis. I've read about Rimadyl helping arthritis, maybe her vet will try that. She has another appointment tomorrow but I am wondering if we need to take her back today? She doesn't seem to be in pain, she's not grinding her teeth or chittering. She's still eagerly eating. She's chipper this morning, just not walking or moving around.

Yesterday, she stood and walked just a bit right after my daughter moved her joints but by the end of the night she wasn't using either leg. She did stand last night for just a few moments on her own, but otherwise she's laying and her hind legs are positioned oddly (a little extended, even when they are under her). When she stood her rump was up higher than her front half; she didn't take any steps or even attempt to do so. Just stood for a bit. Also, when we touch her feet she doesn't respond by pulling them away. :( She's always hated having her feet touched so that concerns me.

It's a puzzle. I grew up primarily with cats and dogs. I know what to look for and how to treat them for many things, with piggies this is all new. They seem like such fragile little creatures.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:08 pm

Not rereading but was there ever an xray? Arthritis would have shown up, as might have other issues like bone loss or injury.

There certainly may be something completely different going on that is causing her issues.

skuchi

Post   » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:00 pm

The last x-ray she had was a couple of years ago, not since this started. The vet thought it was a nerve they hit with the HCG needle so they haven't done anything else. Her feet are flexing again this morning/afternoon. It seems like the Meloxicam and movement are helping. Vet said to give her a regular dose 2x/day and we'll see how she's doing at tomorrow's appointment. Poor girl. She's being taken good care of, treats (not in excess), hourly bedding changes and water, extra food, stretches. It makes my heart hurt for her and my daughter.