Bella's Med Thread

skuchi

Post   » Tue May 18, 2021 7:04 pm

Our senior piggy is having some issues. She's on a low dose of metacam but the vet suspects liver issues and said to get a milk thistle supplement without alcohol. I found one but it has vegetable glycerin in it. Is that something they can have? Or does anyone have one they can reccomend? This is the one I found on Amazon.
Milk Thistle Extract | 2 fl oz | Alcohol Free | Vegetarian, Non-GMO & Gluten Free Liquid | by Horbaach

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue May 18, 2021 9:42 pm

I am surprised that your vet suggested a milk thistle supplement. I do not know whether or not it will help.

I am sorry to hear she is having some issues as she has gotten older.

skuchi

Post   » Wed May 19, 2021 6:43 pm

@Lynx Can they have vegetable glycerin? That's one I've looked up and can't find any info for.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed May 19, 2021 7:46 pm

It's a sugar alcohol, so I wouldn't overdo it. But a little shouldn't hurt.

skuchi

Post   » Thu May 20, 2021 10:36 am

Thanks, bpatters! She should only need 1 drop a day so sounds like it will be okay for her. I sure appreciate your knowledge.

skuchi

Post   » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:26 am

Our senior girl, Bella, has been having trouble with her left back leg for about 2 months now. A bit stiff, noticed she was having a little trouble getting up, but was still getting around. The vet thought they probably hit a nerve when they gave her the HCG shot and it should get better with time. It looked like it was a couple of weeks ago, but then the past few days it has been growing more stiff. Nothing too alarming, just not getting better like it was. We called last week and got her an appointment for this Friday (their first available). Last night, however, she was having a hard time standing up on it. And this morning she cannot stand at all. The leg is extended behind her and she's not even trying to move. :( We picked her up and gently set her down to see if she can walk and she cannot even get her right leg under her and the left just stays straight out. We're getting fluids and CC in her, because she was in the same place this morning as she was last night. The vet's office is closed on Wednesdays (why does it always happen this way?) but we are calling to see if they will take her on an emergency visit. Anything anybody has in the line of advice or similar experiences would be very much appreciated! Help her heal or keep her comfortable.

skuchi

Post   » Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:03 pm

I need to clarify that she is eating normally and moving around in a limited fashion (her front legs work fine). Her little toes and foot flex, but the leg doesn't move. It seems stuck. Her right leg is moving but she can't stand due to the awkward angle and immobility of the left.

We gave her metacam for inflammation. The vet said to give her more piggie PT, every couple of hours massage her leg, warm compress, and move it. Also to move her other leg so it doesn't get stiff. Make sure she has plenty to eat and drink nearby.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:39 pm

Does the circulation seem to be good? Are both legs the same temperature? Piggie PT sounds very helpful. I would do that all you can. A possibility this could also be arthritis.

You might want to read over the arthritis sticky to see if anything might apply (a link to it is in the master medical sticky topic).
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34228

skuchi

Post   » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:06 am

Thank you Lynx! After reading through a good bit of that it sounds like it may be arthritis. She's been on metacam in the past but it wasn't helping with the pain so the vet switched her to Tramadol, which she has been taking for about 2 1/2 months. The switch occurred about the same time as she started having issues with that left leg. I don't know if it's coincidence or not, the drug change was at the same appointment she got her HCG shot the vet thinks damaged a nerve. But I'm questioning the nerve damage hypothesis. I've read about Rimadyl helping arthritis, maybe her vet will try that. She has another appointment tomorrow but I am wondering if we need to take her back today? She doesn't seem to be in pain, she's not grinding her teeth or chittering. She's still eagerly eating. She's chipper this morning, just not walking or moving around.

Yesterday, she stood and walked just a bit right after my daughter moved her joints but by the end of the night she wasn't using either leg. She did stand last night for just a few moments on her own, but otherwise she's laying and her hind legs are positioned oddly (a little extended, even when they are under her). When she stood her rump was up higher than her front half; she didn't take any steps or even attempt to do so. Just stood for a bit. Also, when we touch her feet she doesn't respond by pulling them away. :( She's always hated having her feet touched so that concerns me.

It's a puzzle. I grew up primarily with cats and dogs. I know what to look for and how to treat them for many things, with piggies this is all new. They seem like such fragile little creatures.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:08 pm

Not rereading but was there ever an xray? Arthritis would have shown up, as might have other issues like bone loss or injury.

There certainly may be something completely different going on that is causing her issues.

skuchi

Post   » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:00 pm

The last x-ray she had was a couple of years ago, not since this started. The vet thought it was a nerve they hit with the HCG needle so they haven't done anything else. Her feet are flexing again this morning/afternoon. It seems like the Meloxicam and movement are helping. Vet said to give her a regular dose 2x/day and we'll see how she's doing at tomorrow's appointment. Poor girl. She's being taken good care of, treats (not in excess), hourly bedding changes and water, extra food, stretches. It makes my heart hurt for her and my daughter.