mammary tumor removal and anesthesia on senior guinea pig

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 28, 2021 12:16 am

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:25 am

Thanks for the feedback, I learned this tonight with Lacey. She's really tired of CC and I was using a 3 ml syringe and making it thicker. Tonight she'd had enough and just wouldn't take any more CC. But she still took water so I tried adding more water to the CC and using the 1 ml syringe. Worked like a charm - wish I would have known this sooner.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:45 pm

Yes, experiment with the consistency and see what she can handle.
I use a 6ml syringe and fill it from the top--I seem to be lazier than everyone else with their 1 and 3ml syringes!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:45 pm

For some reason, I used to be adept at drawing a syringe of cc from a small container using just one hand. I don't remember quite how I did it.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:54 am

Yes, the one-handed draw is an acquired skill. Tonight I put the syringes back together and drew the CC into the syringe with one hand and a piggy burrito in the other. I watched a video of Saskia giving syringe food. She does a burrito wrap and then tucks the piggy under her arm and syringes the food. So I'm learning that skill and it seems to work well.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:00 pm

I was trying to remember more about it. I think I used my little and ring fingers to hold the syringe and thumb and forefinger to draw the plunger up. You need a plunger that moves freely. The middle finger for this operation was a non-performer :-)

Luna1

Post   » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:51 pm

Thank you all for your feedback. I have a new issue with Gerbil. As he is getting older he is not cleaning his face area as well as he used to. I was cleaning his mouth area and noticed some food stuck around his lips, and it looks like the lip fold areas are cracked. I am attaching a picture here. [

I emailed my vet and he said it looks like mild dermititis, and recommended using douxo chlorhexidine wipes for 10 days and take him in person if it doesn't improve by then. Has anyone had an issue like this with their guinea pig and used these wipes?

Thank you!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Sep 20, 2021 1:58 am

I have only used chlorhexidine on a dog, but it worked very well for dermatitis. I would use a healing moisturizer after the chlorhexidine since the skin looks dry and cracking. Something like coconut oil or vitamin E oil applied with a q-tip might work.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:12 am

You might want to look this over too, in case it gives you any additional ideas or gets worse.
https://www.guinealynx.info/cheilitis.html

Luna1

Post   » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:44 pm

Thank you, I saw this page before, the second vet I sent the pictures to said he has cheilitis, and use the wipes first but if it doesn't go away he will need antibiotics & antifungal medications...

Luna1

Post   » Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:08 pm

Just to update, I ended taking Gerbil to a vet in person to make sure he gets the best treatment. It turned out that not only did he have those small cuts by his lip, but there is a big cut and swelling and inflammation under his jaw area. They saw it when they shaved his hair in that area. I have no idea why this would happen :( The doctor said it's not an abscess but inflammation of the skin itself. He is on bactrim, antibiotic cream and micanozole cream for now. We are waiting for culture results.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:25 pm

Sounds like having him seen was a good idea. I hope the inflammation clears up.