Accidentally Got Liqiud Antibiotic in Morty's Eye

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 12, 2021 7:55 pm

I can't give you any advice on manipulating the furosemide dose. Has your vet given you helpful guidelines?

Hopefully someone more experienced than I am can provide some feedback on their own maintenance of heart issues. I am sorry he's losing weight and showing worrisome signs.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu May 13, 2021 1:28 am

I would check back with the vet clinic. There are other meds they sometimes add that are more effective than just increasing the furosemide. If he's having more trouble breathing, he may not be eating as much since it's hard to eat when you can't breath well. So if an adjustment of meds helps his breathing, his weight may stabilize. He's just so lucky to have you taking care of him so well.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Thu May 13, 2021 1:34 am

I'm planning on giving my vet a call in the morning to get the answer to that, however I fear she'll tell me it's time to PTS. She has told us this at times where he wasn't doing so hot, but each time he fought to stay here. So quite frankly, I don't know whether I can have faith in her when it comes down to that horrible decision. I understand that she's got her best intentions involved, but I don't think we want to throw the towel in just yet.

We have seen a different vet for a second opinion, and he did get better after her suggestion of lowering his enalapril dose. So I'm thinking I'll give each of them a call just to see what my options are. I'm truly hoping that I will get good news and will update. Thank you Lynx, and thank you too ItsAZoo. It's definitely the Mort who deserves the credit though; I've never seen such a pig who shows so much resilience like he does, and I don't want to give up on him as long as he's willing to continue, you know?

amberkenn2016

Post   » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:03 pm

I unfortunately have bad news. For a while, I upped his dose of furosemide to the safest yet highest level possible with guidance from my vet, and that seemed to buy us some time. However, Morty started slowing down late last week and he passed away at home yesterday morning. I would suspect it was a heart attack, so it was most likely quick, but we are heartbroken.

He was such a tenacious pig and even though he was small, he's the biggest fighter I'd ever seen when it comes to guinea pigs. I think I mentioned it here before, but his vet and I agreed that his body would give out before his spirit would, and we were right. That little guy fought until the very end, and now he gets the rest he very much deserves. We're having him cremated and bringing him back home hopefully by the end of this week. Thank you to everyone who helped out the Mort by giving us the advice to do so.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:53 pm

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:00 pm

I am so sorry you lost Morty, amberkenn2016. Sometimes our guinea pigs seem so fragile. I am sorry his tenaciousness did not win out. You have our sympathy.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:05 am

My condolences, I’m so sorry about Morty. He had a big personality and you gave him such a good life. Take care of yourself.

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:37 pm

R.I.P. Morty, I am sorry for your loss, too...;(