Accidentally Got Liqiud Antibiotic in Morty's Eye

amberkenn2016

Post   » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:39 am


His lips are still pink as ever and I hear a small bit of rasping. I've also noticed that he's kind of dribbling at the mouth, which is usually a sign to me that he's not improving. The hooting is still happening unfortunately, but he's still as active and interested in food as he always is.

I've always housed him on a combo of paper bedding and fleece, the paper being in high traffic areas that gets soiled very easily. I wonder if changing this will help him?

ClemmyOddieIndy

Post   » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:23 pm


I'm sorry to hear about your pig. I had a pig in heart failure, but it's been a long time ago. I think she died in 2013. She was on furosemide and something else (maybe Vetmedin, but it's been so long I can't remember). I think she lived about a year if I remember right, but it wasn't the heart failure that got her it was cancer. I had a dog in severe heart failure for years. She had many bad days, but we lived for the good days. She eventually had a stroke and died on the way to the vet.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:50 pm


Thank you for sharing that. It's been 5 months since his diagnosis, so I would think you're very lucky to have had yours for that long. Right now he's been hoot free for the past, maybe 6 hours? So I'm holding onto hope that he's slowly improving. I've practically been living just outside the cage keeping an eye on him while I go about my day. Hopefully I'll be able to update with more good news!

amberkenn2016

Post   » Fri Feb 05, 2021 10:36 pm


Okay, very dumb question here, but we just got a new bottle of liquid enalapril. It's quite the drive to get there and back, so I thought it'd be smart to get a bag of ice and keep it near the bottle to keep it cold because we were told to keep it cold. I noticed that once we got home, I think I saw a small part of the solution frozen. Is this going to affect the medication?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:27 am


I doubt it.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:54 pm


Hey guys I just need a little advice with Morty again. This morning, he started barely eating any of the veggies I've given him, which he almost never does( he's still eating his pellets and hay). On top of that, his poops are really soft and they smell. I've made an appointment for tomorrow with his regular vet, which is the soonest they could take us, and we've been giving him as much critical care and water that he can stomach. We've also been giving him Benebac in the powder form in hopes that might harden his poops just a little. He's never had this happen before, although he's had soft poops in the past, they just never smelled bad that I've noticed, and we're also wondering if this is the result of the medications he's under for his heart.

Any advice or suggestions to help him until we can get him in would be very appreciated.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:43 pm


Soft, smelly poops are cecal poops if they're greenish. If not green, they're definitely an indication of some GI problem. The lack of fecal poops is also.

Has there been any recent change in any of the meds he's taking?

User avatar
Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:30 pm


Ditto bpatters. You may wish to reread:
http://www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html

amberkenn2016

Post   » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:06 am


bpatters- There hasn't been any change in meds, and I don't believe they're cecal poops. I've seen a ton of them in my time owning pigs and they don't look like them I don't think. I'm hoping that his poops will harden by the morning, but I'll give updates when I can.

And thank you Lynx for the link!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:15 am


If they're not cecal but they're smelly, he's got something going on in the GI tract. I'd see a vet for some flagyl or other antibiotic.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:20 pm


Completely hypothetical here, but would having another med added on to help him with gut issues be too much for him? I know the alternative, to just let him suffer, wouldn't be an option, but he's already on quite a few meds (pimobendan, furosemide, and enalapril). I'm willing to help him out however way I can because he's my little Mort, but I don't know what to expect when adding another med like an AB.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:41 pm


Update: We just got back from the vet, and they found that he had quite a bit of air in his stomach. The vet is thinking that the reason there's so much is because Morty's heart and lungs are deteriorating to the point that the air goes past the lungs. She doesn't think increasing meds would help, and she also said there was a possibility of an URI happening as well. So we were sent home with doxycycline and she suggested euthanasia is in the near future for him.

I'm heartbroken. He's home with us as we speak and I'm going to try to give the AB's to see if he improves, but I don't know what else I can do. We are also continuing the probiotic and critical care. He squeaks every time he goes to the bathroom and I can't stand to see him in pain. I just wish I could take all of this away from him.

User avatar
Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:06 pm


I am so sorry to hear this news. I know how much you care about him.

User avatar
ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2020

Post   » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:40 am


I'm sorry to hear that Morty is going through all this. You take such good care of him, I hope the ABs help him feel better.

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:13 am


I am sorry to...
But in dog world people used to say maybe some vets arent good enough.. cause some always go maybe i am notgood enough..well maybe sometimes doctors arent good enough for you. i am not saying we are not grateful to ones that helped us cause we found some really really brilliant vets, but sometimes its worth second oppinion..just thinking:)

amberkenn2016

Post   » Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:08 pm


I've got good news! Morty gained back an ounce and a half and he's interested in carrots again! I really don't want to jump the gun and say he's back, but I definitely feel like some divine being out there somewhere is looking out for him, lol. We're going to keep on trucking until we know he's ready to go. And thank you to everyone so far for your kind words, it makes difference for us, truly. I'll keep giving updates when something changes. Again, I appreciate y'all so much.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:13 pm


@amberkenn2016, I just read your post from the 16th: "Morty's heart and lungs are deteriorating to the point that the air goes past the lungs."

If your vet really thinks that, you need a new vet. ASAP. Air doesn't go "past the lungs." It goes into the lungs, and comes back out again, and there's no place else for it to go.

Gas in the abdomen is almost always caused by digestive processes (like fermentation) and comes from the food that's eaten. It does not come from inhaled air that's gone past the lungs.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:19 pm


I say this with a heavy heart that Morty is scheduled to have an at-home appointment to be PTS. He's not eating carrots anymore, and if he's interested at all he only has a bite. His breathing is more heavy, and he's dribbling on his chin again. He looks uncomfortable when he tries to lay down to nap, and when he tries to go outside of the cage for exercise, he gets tired very very easily.

We saw a second vet that was mentioned on this website for vets in MN, and she suggested we dial back the enalapril to once a day, which helped his poops have shape again, but I hear him still grunting here and there. I just don't want to put him through more horrendous episodes of being barely able to breathe and painful diarrhea. He's also very thin and continues to lose weight even though he eats still.

I don't want him to stay if it's more for my benefit, which, I have done in the past to one of my piggies. If he wasn't such a fighter, I wouldn't have tried to help him for so long because the vet even said that his body will give out before his spirit will. However, I still have a feeling in the back of my mind that wants me to cancel the appointment and hold onto him for another day, but I feel like that's just me being selfish. I don't want to let him go, but I can't bear to see him go through more discomfort and pain. I apologize if this sounds like I'm rambling on, but I am devastated that I have to make such a tough call.

User avatar
Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:28 pm


It sounds like you are both hurting. This is indeed the most difficult decision to make, even when it is the right one. I know you have fought for his good health. You have my sympathy.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Wed May 12, 2021 1:46 pm


Alright, so my update here is both good and bad, and the good is that Morty is still here. He's got the same fight and spirit he's always had, however he's slowly losing more weight (he is 1lb 4.3 oz at the last weigh in, but he's always been smaller). Plus, I'm thinking his furosemide is not helping as well as it used to. The poor guy has been having off and on hooting episodes these past few days and I don't know if I can increase his furosemide dose any further. Right now he's getting 4 mg every 6 hours, and sometimes more depending on his symptoms.

Has anyone had any experience with Furosemide and what's the limit with it? I want to keep him trucking along comfortably until that's not possible anymore.

Post Reply
43 posts