Jewel and Jinx's medical thread

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:57 am

I only grow a little bit in the house for a treat, nothing in enough quantity to replace hay. And the kind I have has to be replanted at some point. It gets root bound and just stops regrowing.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:41 am

It gets root bound and just stops regrowing.
I have some in pots that I planted 3 years ago, still going strong. Will look into growing some lawn, cat grass in the mean time. Thanks ItsaZoo.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:49 am

Got back from the vet, seems Jewel also has bladder infection. Her urine also had blood in it but had Protein in it too. PH wasn't as high only being 8.0. She got an Antibiotic injection and is on Enrotril 0.3mls once a day for 7 days and then she goes back to the vet.

Her urine was looked under microscope and it too had wiggly bugs in it. Jewel had not lost weight still 1160grams. So Jinx goes back to the vet Thursday for urine recheck. Jewel goes back Monday for urine recheck. Jinx also goes in Monday and gets her stitches out.

I told my husband we should just buggar it and take all 5 girls in and have their pee checked. First time I have had a vet bank and I am using it due to all these bladder problems.

If no change in either urine X-rays will be taken to check for stones. Will keep you posted. I still feel like screaming!!! To make matters worse nothing to do with the girls, I got out of bed Sunday and when my feet hit the floor, I heard a crack. I stepped on my glasses and broke them at the bridge of nose. So they are taped up so I can see and read. Have ordered 2 pairs one for seeing one for reading(cheaper this way) but due to Covid will take 4-8 weeks to get here. I swear at present we are cursed. First Jill, then Jinx, then Jewel, hay poke Jay, now my glasses, what next???

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:40 am

Could the vet just see Jinx on Monday for urine re-check (and stitches) with Jewel on Monday and save you a trip and clinic charge on Thursday?

As we say here, "When it rains, it pours."

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:10 pm

Sorry about your glasses! I remember stepping on mine once and sitting on them a couple times. Have had to bend them back so they were vaguely usable.

When you say bugs, do you mean the urine has parasites in it?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:58 am

When you say bugs, do you mean the urine has parasites in it?

Yes that is what they are. Doing the backstroke(joke) in their pee. I have to joke or I'll lose it!

Could the vet just see Jinx on Monday for urine re-check (and stitches) with Jewel on Monday and save you a trip and clinic charge on Thursday?

I suggested this but was told I'd be charged a revisit for both pigs which ever way I go. And they felt it was better if the pigs saw the same vet they saw originally.
Sorry about your glasses!
Thanks Lynx, have put insulation tape to join them together. They are very flimsy but at least I can see and read. Thanks for the replies Sef and Lynx.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:41 am

That's peculiar. Did the vet say why he/she thought there were parasites in the urine? I don't think that's very common.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:22 am

I don't think so either. Was the urine sample taken directly from the bladder with a syringe (urocentithis - I know I misspelled that)? It may have been contaminated otherwise. (edit: it's called Cystocentesis)

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:12 am

Both vets squeezed the bladder and we caught the urine that they expelled into a specimen jar. Jinx's was very milky but Jewel's was very clear. They put a bit on a slide and looked under microscope and saw the bugs.

Then they dipped a urine test stripe in what was remaining. Both had traces of blood and Jewel's had protein. Jinx's PH was around 10 and Jewel's 8.0.

They go back Thursday and Monday to get urine tested again. I know to get 100% accurate test of urine a piggy should be sedated, why they didn't do this to Jinx when she had lump removed puzzles me! Thanks for the replies Sef and Lynx. Keep you posted. Jinx vet tomorrow.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:59 am

Okay took Jinx to vet for revist. Vet squeezed bladder and I caught the urine. It was dipped sticked and showed traces of blood in it. It was spun and looked under microscope no bacteria. So now it is to be sent of to pathologist too see if any sludge or infection not seen on X-ray or in spun urine.

Lets hope on Monday when Jewel goes to the vet there is better news. She hates her medicine, takes two of us to hold her and after she has had it the faces she pulls, really feel sorry for her! She is on Enrotril. Keep you posted.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:47 am

10.0 is very high. Urinary infection can increase urine pH. I'm not sure why you would be seeing such elevated pH otherwise.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:01 am

Jewel went to vet today and got her urine dip sticked. Come up all clear. Her pee was as clear as water. No blood, no infections, no bacteria.

Jinx's test results came back,-urine sent off to be tested. All clear though fresh blood was in the urine. Vet wants to leave it and see how she goes. I want an ultrasound to make sure all is OK. As the blood has to be coming from some where now all stones are gone. What do you think? Will keep you posted!