Jewel and Jinx's medical thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:29 am

Ditto on the glad they found no stones. Can you get chlorhexidine? If the source of the infection was outside the body, cleaning the sutures with a chlorhexidine solution like Erin advised with neuters on this page may help them heal better. There is additional info on sutures further down the page too.
https://www.guinealynx.info/postop.html

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:22 pm

Okay, has anyone experienced this? We have taken Jinx out of her cage 4 times since getting home. And on each occasion her tummy has been very wet by urine. We gently pull her skin and it is slow to return so am syringing water into her until vet opens.

She is eating and pooping and finally surgical site has stopped bleeding. I just don't understand why she is peeing and sitting in it. I think going to the vet freaked her out again even though I was there the whole time and we were only separated for 45 minutes. And she was sedated for most of them.

Lynx, vet said no infection as found no white cells. I will wait till the surgical site calms down a bit then will bathe with salt and water.

Any advice much appreciated! Vets open at 8.30am and it is 2.50am now. Thanks Lynx for the reply! And yes it is wee as no red on white towel.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:24 pm

How much meloxicam is she on? What strength? And how often?

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:33 pm

That’s a thought - maybe getting a little loopy from the pain meds.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:40 pm

That was my thought -- effects of sedation and/or pain meds.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:50 pm

She is getting point 0.3 twice a day. She has cat's 0.5 strength Meloxicam. Vet said it is normal as sedation gas still in system and may take 24 hours to get out her system. Has quite a few dogs and cats who do same thing.

Funny thing is she moving around to eat but not when she pees. We are in Winter would it be safe to give a bath? She is really on the nose.

Vet said wait till tonight if still doing it make an appointment and bring her in. At least her poops are normal. Thanks for the replies Bookfan, ItsaZoo and Sef.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:02 am

I don’t think I’d do a full bath. Maybe a little butt bath would be okay but I would keep the rest of her dry.

When mine was ill she had stinky pants. I mixed shampoo and water in a spray bottle and gave her a butt spray, then rinsed with the sink sprayer and got her dry right away.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:55 pm

Thanks for the reply ItsaZoo! Okay, how can piggy get wet with pee but bedding be dry? Going to vet today. May stop Meloxicam and she how she goes! Keep you posted!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:39 am

Got back from vet. Urine tested and looked under microscope. Urine was very milky and like Jill's very alkaline. Jinx's pee had small amount of blood in it. Though white towels are always clean.

Under microscope however was a different story. My husband also had a look. The vet and my husband said it looked like she had what looked like bugs and were wiggling in the pee.

So for a week Jinx is on 0.1mls of Bactrim twice a day. Vet said it stinks-Bactrim, but when he gave Jinx her first dose Jinx tried to eat syringe as well she loves the Bactrim so much. To me smells like strawberry.

He tested the flow of pee and that was normal. There were no crystals in pee or sludge. So it seems Jinx has bladder infection. Urine was collected vet manipulated Jinx's bladder and husband caught pee in specimen jar. So hopefully after this Jinx can rest for a while!

First blood in pee, then a stone, then a lump and now bladder infection. Poor little mite! Will keep you posted! Only good thing was stone disappeared/passed!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:59 am

The vet and my husband said it looked like she had what looked like bugs and were wiggling in the pee.
This sounds very unusual! I hope things clear up completely.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:13 am

This sounds very unusual! I hope things clear up completely.

Vet just said bacterial infection and she had wiggling bugs. He offered me to have a look but with my bad eyes I thought it best not too! Wish I had now! Thanks Lynx.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:40 am

UTI isn't uncommon as a secondary issue with bladder stones. Hopefully she will do well on Bactrim.