Jewel and Jinx's medical thread

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:13 am

I think radicchio is okay. I no longer have it available here, but don't remember any issues with it when I fed it.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:45 pm

Every one of my pigs loved it and preferred it to any other vegetable.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2020 2:35 am

Here are the different lettuces in Australia I know iceberg is a no no but had no idea watercress was a lettuce. Rocket they hate.

Iceberg: firm green head with crisp, unblemished leaves.
Butter crunch: soft, buttery and loosely-packed leaves.
Mignonette: soft maroon-green head with unblemished, loosely packed leaves.
Cos: crisp, elongated leaves tightly wrapped.
Oakleaf: curly leaf-shaped red leaves.
Coral (Green or red): small with curly green-purplish leaves and slightly bitter taste.
Rocket: intense green colour and strong flavour.
Chicory: outer leaves are green and bitter; pale inner leaves are tender and mild.
Radicchio: ruby red miniature leaf with a slightly bitter flavour.
Watercress: dark green, clover-like leaves with refreshing, peppery flavour.

Now I normal buy them mixed(red and green leaves) or symphony lettuce(red and green leaves). But noticed on GL veg chart green leaves higher in Calcium. Should I only give red leaf lettuces? Which would be Mignonette(red ones), Coral, and Radicchio lettuces, oh and red butter ones too? Thanks Sef and bpatters.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:50 am

Butter lettuce (here also called Boston or bibb lettuce) is another good choice. I haven't heard of some of the others; they may go by another name here. You should be able to Google the other lettuces to look at calcium content.

Lynx -- do you know if that website from the FDA, with detailed nutritional info on just about everything, is still out there somewhere? I haven't been able to find it in years.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:47 am

I may have mentioned this before, but cystitis? It won't show up on an xray. Can cause pain & blood in urine.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:54 am

I may have mentioned this before, but cystitis?

Vet could not feel anything and nothing showed up on X-rays or ultrasound. I could suggest cyst but she'll just say what I have said. Maybe hormone injections would help Jinx? She is not showing any other symptoms. Just blood and nothing else. Thanls Sef and bpatters.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:38 pm

Just asked my daughter, who is cystitis queen, for the lowdown. It's an inflammation of the lining of the bladder, so it can't be felt by examination, nor will it show up on xray. I think it's a diagnosis made by elimination. Not saying that's what it is.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:03 pm

Cystitis is just an inflammation of the bladder. I don't know the Latin derivative, but cysto- means relating to the urinary bladder. So cystitis means inflamation, cystocentesis means removal of urine by a syringe, cystotomy means surgery on the bladder, usually to remove stones.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:16 am

Jinx before and after stone "disappeared" (looks like it was in the urethra):

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:48 am

Didn't stop her peeing. Was in there for around 6 weeks between X-rays. Second X-Ray taken day of stone removal surgery but no stone to remove. Thank-you Lynx for adding X-Rays.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:30 pm

Well Jinx still leaves blood spot on her towels but now she is losing weight. So when I take Jill to vet Friday will be taking Jinx in as well. She is eating, drinking, peeing and pooping quietly. Except for weight loss no other problems. Will keep you posted.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:01 pm

I hope you can figure out what is going on. I imagine you will have her teeth checked.