Millie (born 26 july 2019)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:22 pm

So sorry to hear there is still visible blood but it is wonderful she is happy and maintaining her weight.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:13 pm

Day 11 of enrobactin, sadly still darkish urine so probably still some blood.

Worse, I heard her squeak in discomfort/pain for the first time this evening when peeing.

Will be calling the vet tomorrow morning for an xray. I already had a quote for a possible stone surgery, but it is (a bit) beyond my means. I also don’t know if I should put her through this surgery. She is so tiny and the vets are not well trained in guinea pigs (no experienced vets available near me). Recovery will be hard on her, but also on me mentally, I am not very stable at the moment.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:42 pm

Sending good thoughts your way and hoping for the best.

Knowing what to do can be so hard for so many reasons.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:47 pm

Send the user pigjes a private message (link at the top of this page). She's in Belgium, but has had guinea pigs for many, many years and knows quite a bit about vets in that whole general area. She might be able to recommend a good one who wouldn't charge an arm and a leg for surgery.

Size doesn't really matter so much. As surgeries go, removal of a bladder stone isn't the worst as they don't have to do any manipulation of the intestines which is what often causes GI problems afterwards.

Good luck, and let us know how things go.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:26 am

Hoping for a good outcome, I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:53 am

Keep us posted.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:38 am

Nothing on xray...

I can stop the antibiotics as that hasn’t done anything and just watch her. If anything changes I can opt for an ultrasound.

Her only symptom has been her dark brown/red urine, the whimpering from two days ago may have been onset irritation from the antibiotics. I only heard her once and her poops have become slightly deformed and/or really small. There was pee and a poop when I heard her.

So, for now it is a watching game.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:30 am

Grace had cystitis for many months, along with the occasional stone or infection. I don't remember her urine ever being brown. It varied from pink to the normal red color of blood, plus occasional clots of darkish red blood.

We had been giving Grace Cystease for many months for cystitis and we can't be sure, but it seemed to help.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:57 am

Is there any odor? I think you know some foods can cause urine discoloration. I think if it is more concentrated, you might see more discoloration. Urine will sometimes turn orange/dark brown from porpherines in the urine too. But I trust that what you are seeing is abnormal for her. I hope she managed okay. Syringing some water a couple times a day might help.

What antibiotics are you giving? If it is trimethoprim sulfa methoxizole (Bactrim), it might still be of benefit if there is any low grade infection.

Generally small poops indicate not eating enough.

SardonicSmile

Post   » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:04 pm

Piggies are on wood pellets with fleece so it is difficult to see urine. I don’t see any spots on the fleece, but they do have a “kitchen area” that is stainless steel or aluminium (or something like that) tray filled with wood pellets. Millie often pees on its edge and that is where I found/find the blood. The brown might be from a reaction with the stuff the tray is made of, the last time it was not a super fresh puddle I soaked up with a q-tip to have a better look.

When I first noticed the blood her pee smelled rather sweet. Now I sometimes smell just a pee smell, nothing horrible. I smell her butt too, nothing horrible there either.

She is still her happy self, has been all this time. She drinks enough on her own I think, more than my other piggie. And though she is a slow(ish) eater, she does eat. Her weight is holding steady.

For now she isn’t on any antibiotics anymore, her last dose of enrobactin (a very strong antibiotic) was yesterday.

I am thinking about getting some urine testing strips so I can check for blood myself, probably cheaper than having it done at the vet.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:25 am

For the time being is there any way to use fleece instead of wood pellets so you can see for sure if there is blood or dark color? Have there been any tests for kidney function? I don’t know about guinea pigs, but people and dogs can have dark urine when the kidneys are struggling.

I hope she continues to feel good.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:16 am

You can see urine when using fleece over wood pellets. All you need is a light colored piece of fleece.