what's the latest about hormone injectons?

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun May 31, 2020 1:41 am

Glad to read this update, I hope she continues to do well!

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:09 am

Nice to hear good news about Zuki!

Tracy

Post   » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:12 pm

I wanted to post some photos of Zuki's hair loss due to cystic ovaries. If too many or administrators prefer links, by all means edit as appropriate.

First one is from March 3, one of the last photos I have when her fur looked normal (Zuki is the tricolor on right).

I noticed a bald spot 4 days later on March 7 -- right where her red hair meets the black, in front of her left rear leg, about the size of a nickel. I don't have a photo from those first few days because I had a friend visiting and was on the go a lot. By March 11, the hair loss had spread a lot and included underneath on her belly. This is just 4 days after I first noticed a bald patch.

March 14 was when Zuki had an ultrasound that confirmed cystic ovaries. That vet recommended a spay (preferred course) or hormone implants used in ferrets. I read the implants don't work in piggies and then contacted some other vets to explore possibly giving her Cystorelin or Lupron.

On April 2 we ventured out again despite stay-at-home orders, to have her examined by another vet willing to explore hormone injections. Of course he also recommended a spay, but I didn't know/trust his expertise enough to go that route and wanted to try non-surgical management first. He (and another vet) said Lupron is VERY expensive, though he was willing to order Cystorelin if I wanted to try that. During April (while staying at home as much as possible) we waited for the hormone to arrive, and Zuki was scratching/biting her bald areas a lot -- I guess the bare skin was bothering her or perhaps the cysts inside.

Vet gave first injection of Cystorelin May 7, and I wasn't sure it was administered properly since I read about intramuscular and he did subcue. But after my initial disappointment, I did learn from a knowledgeable exotics vet that subcue is listed in several formulary as an option for this hormone. Second injection was 2 weeks later, on May 21 (also subcue). Here are photos from May 16 and May 27, showing Zuki's bald patches on her sides as I waited with crossed fingers.

Now here's the good part -- she's beginning to grow back hair! Here are three photos from June 3. Her nipples are also less crusty, almost back to normal (I don't have good before/after photos of them).

I think at this rate she'll have hair back to normal before the end of June, and I hope maybe she's feeling better internally. Not sure yet if I'll repeat the ultrasound to check on her ovaries. My wallet needs to recover from vet expenses (plus car service for our 4 round-trips) that probably approach the cost of the surgery we avoided. For now I'm grateful for her turnaround and hoping Cystorelin will work for about 6-9 months, as per some documented cases. Next photo, I think, will be around Zuki's 5th birthday (July 20).

Thanks for following her post and lending your support. These hormone injections are new to me, plus I've been trying to find knowledgeable piggy vets here in Philadelphia for a while. I will likely return to the vet who gave Zuki injections for any future issues, though am still researching options in the area... and open to recommendations.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:45 pm

It is always helpful to have a progression of pictures to show how things have improved. I hope your goal of 6 to 9 months free of problems is a success!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:34 am

Like I said before Jessie would have a dose another two weeks later then this would last 6 months before getting another dose and again 2 weeks later. This continued for last 3 years of her life-she lived 8 years and 3 months. Good luck with Zuki. By the way Jessie had no fur lost!

Tracy

Post   » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:12 am

daisymay, are you saying your Jessie had the injection every 2 weeks for 3 times each? Zuki had 2 shots, 2 weeks apart. I wasn't planning to do more until at least 6 months and if she shows signs again.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:42 am

Jessie got one dose, then another 2 weeks later. Then nothing until 6 months later. Then at 6 months she would get one injection then 2 weeks after that another. Then nothing for 6 months and so on and so on. Sorry for the confusion.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:27 pm

That looks really good. She is a pretty girl!

Tracy

Post   » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:04 pm

I'm late posting for Zuki's 5th birthday (estimated July 20). Not great photos, but they were taken right around her b-day.

She continues to grow her fur back, no more bald patches. Her nipples are less crusty, though not completely normal (I clean them periodically, in case they're uncomfortable). And to me it seems like she's eating a bit better, moving around more... maybe just HAPPIER!

So I think the injections were a success; first one was about 3 months ago. It's also due to her new-ish pal, Maisy (together about 6 months now). Zukina was sad by herself after Izzy died, and she took to Maisy quickly. The two cohabitate nicely and frequently eat or relax side by side.

Happy birthday, Zukina!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:09 pm

Happy Birthday, Zukina! So glad to hear she is doing better. Very cute new-ish buddy, too. :)

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:53 pm

Happy belated birthday, Zukina, and congratulations on getting a new buddy.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:31 am

Happy belated birthday, Zukina! So glad you are feeling better and have a very cute play mate to play with. Would you mind if I tickled your feet? I can resist them! You look so comfy!