what's the latest about hormone injectons?

Tracy

Post   » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:53 pm

Hello. It's been a while since I've been active here, and I did browse posts a bit before starting this new thread.

I have a 4.5-yr-old female with ovarian cysts. Zuki has had crusty nipples for a month or two, which I clean periodically in case they're uncomfortable/painful for her. As of last week, she now has hair loss also -- first one side and now spreading underneath (not really on second side of her flank yet). A vet confirmed with ultrasound that both ovaries have cysts. He recommended an implant that's mostly used in ferrets, inserted like a microchip, slow release that suppresses/adjusts hormones for 6-12 months. He also said they could remove just her ovaries with side incisions rather than a full spay (including uterus) from underneath.

After researching the implants, I read they're not effective in piggies (though article was from 2011). And though the partial spay sounds appealing in terms of better recovery, I know females also get uterine problems (and am not convinced he checked her uterus much during ultrasound). Basically I wasn't impressed with the guy despite his 30 years experience with exotics, supposedly. And finding pig-savvy vets in Philly area has been challenging (I've posted elsewhere about that).

I'm leaning toward maybe Lupron or Cystorelin injections, if I can find a vet on board with that. But wondering if there's some even newer treatment since articles I've read seem to go back 5-9 years.

I would opt for surgery if I found someone experienced around here; it's a difficult surgery in piggies, I know. But having "an interest in exotics" and calling a spay "a procedure" ("all our docs can do procedures on guinea pigs") doesn't instill confidence. So far I've visited 3 clinics here and just have not been impressed (or even convinced they're competent). It's too bad the exotics dept at Univ of Penn closed because overall the animal hospital there seems very advanced for other species (plus a top vet school). And I was very lucky to have access to good exotics docs in the Boston area, before moving.

Thanks for any updates about alternatives to spaying. Zukina thanks you, too!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:08 pm

For what it's worth, I am not excited about a partial spay. A full spay would have more benefits and would prevent pyometra (infection of the uterus).

If she was otherwise healthy and you had a skilled vet, I would go with a spay. The injection method should buy you some time. Looks like you have done a lot of research and checking of vets in the area.

Tracy

Post   » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:28 pm

Yes, I realize a complete spay is best option. I just don't know someone around here who has done those in piggies... still asking around (and increasing my geographic diameter). I'm sad because now Zuki is sometimes facing a cage corner, which (in other piggies I've had) is not a great sign of well-being.

Thanks if anyone else knows good vets/surgeons around Philly or if there are new non-spay treatments. I'm also pursuing hormone injections (only Lupron or Cystorelin) in case I can find someone willing to do that for Zuki.

skuchi

Post   » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:22 am

We've been through this the past year with one of ours, she's 7 years old though so surgery is out of the question. Our vet gave her Lupron to start with, it worked for the hair loss but took a few shots to show improvement and she was still grumpy. And we had to go in every month for shots to keep up with it, they stung pretty bad (she cried, poor baby). We switched to HCG and she's doing much better. It requires a series of two shots 1 week apart every 3 months for us. Cleared up the grumpiness and hair loss too. Our vet also suggested the implant, but she primarily works with ferrets and said she hasn't done it with many guinea pigs. Also, considering her age it's likely more cost effective to stick with the shots. From what I've read, every pig is a little different. Our vet said there are many types of cysts, some trigger hormonal problems, others don't. There's a little trial and error in figuring out what helps your individual piggy.

Graid

Post   » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:10 pm

My pig Grenwen was given I think 2 injections of HCG about twice a year, which helped her regrow her fur and her normal guinea pig shape and reduced the symptoms of her ovarian cysts. She still had some discharge at time and her cysts remained large, but ultimately she managed to continue on with them. I definitely would recommend it if you're not going to go for a spay, it really turned Grenwen from a sad half bald animal back to being fully furred and happy.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:11 am

Our Jessie had cyst in her ovaries and was given hormone injections. The medicine was for cattle, not sure of it's name. But it worked a treat. We felt tooth removal surgery was enough for her to cope with.

If you are not comfortable with your vet doing surgery, our Zoe was passing blood, ultrasound showed she had tumours. So I went onto guinea pig forums. One lady recommended her vet in the UK a Dr Anne Taylor. So I spoke to our vet who had never done anything on a guinea pig. So our vet and Dr Taylor discussed ideas, notes, test results were emailed to the UK vet. A plan of action was formed and Zoe had her girlie parts removed and lived for another 2 years.

Hoping you find a way to help Zuki. Maybe someone on here can suggest a good vet and your vet can talk with them. There is also a website just for vets called VIN. Maybe your vet could post on there? Good luck to you both. Keep us posted!

Tracy

Post   » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:13 pm

Thanks for responses. I don't have a vet here yet. Tried three so far; not comfortable with any of them for surgery, so checking around about hormone injections. We have appt with someone new next week (20 yrs with exotics, I was told), if they will still do non-emergency appointments during COVID. Zuki is about 4.5, so might consider spay if I can find someone knowledgeable and experienced with piggies. Otherwise, only willing to experiment a bit with injections.

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:16 pm

I second the VIN suggestion. My vet in Charlotte used it to consult with others on my pig’s weird issues.

If you do find a vet willing to consult with others I would definitely recommend that vet in Charlotte - Dr. Lauren Powers. She spayed my Peppa via flank incision. It went very well.

Depending on how wide you expand your search, there are a few good vets in Northern Virginia. I know 2.5 hours is a long way, but just wanted to put it out there. Good luck!!

Tracy

Post   » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:23 pm

JJGiebz, was that a complete spay with flank incisions, or just ovaries?

JJGiebz
Make Good Choices

Post   » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:47 pm

It was a complete spay, and they actually only made an incision on one side.

In Feb 2019 Oxbow and my vet in Charlotte, NC (Dr. Powers) hosted a conference, and a veterinarian from Indiana (Dr. Lennox) who is an expert on the flank spay attended. She offered to walk Dr. Powers through it while she was in town, so my Peppa and another lucky gal named Pepper got a free, less invasive spay. On Pepper they were able to easily get both ovaries and the uterus out via one incision on only one side. On Peppa, they had trouble locating her other ovary. Having already poked around they didn’t want to open the other side and not be able to find it, so they left it.

So technically, she’s 66% spayed :) Though if the ovary had had a cyst, it would have been easy to find. Dr. Powers assured me that if Peppa ever does have an issue with the rogue ovary, she will take care of it. I don’t live down there anymore - but depending on the circumstances I would take Peppa back there if she needed it.

Peppa recovered well - we did the supplemental hand feeding thing for a few days because she’s not overly interested in food even when she feels well - but other than that no issues.

Brist1cm

Post   » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:17 pm

How effective has lupron been? I tried doing research but a lot of articles were out of date.

One of my girls who is 3 had fertagyl injection in November and after 5 months her symptoms are back. So now that I'm in a new state (graduate student... with campus closed I went home) I had to find a new vet and they only had lupron which was like $210(usd) (which was like almost triple the cost of the fertagyl!!!). Since they are only doing curbside appointments due to covid I couldn't talk to him to the extent I would have liked. He suggested that it would only last 1-6 months. But I read there needs to be multiple injections within a few weeks. He never mentioned this....

He was really pushing for surgery, but with her other health issues, age, and my upcoming travel in the next 2 weeks I said no for now. Honestly, I am reluctant for her to ever go under. Plus I wouldn't want him to operate this soon as I don't know him or his office enough to trust my girl to go under.

So since I opted for lupron for now, I would like to know if it seems to be effective? AND should I consider surgery if symptoms return?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:19 am

I do not know the name Jessie was on. It was a hormone for cattle. She got an injection and another 2 weeks later then again if needed every 6 months from there. You need to find someone you have faith in and can discuss at length. Good luck.

Jessie started about 9 years ago and it was $60.00AUD for the whole bottle that I paid for and $2.00AUD for a nurse to inject her when needed.