what's the latest about hormone injectons?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:15 pm

I would tend more toward stones or cystitis. I do not remember how pyometra is diagnosed. Bloody urine can also indicate stones.

I hope your vet can figure out what the problem is.

Tracy

Post   » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:56 am

Hello. This is not about Zuki's hair loss and hormone injections for her cystic ovaries (title when post started), but still about Zuki.

I'm still trying to help her maintain and hopefully gain weight. Most of the time she's around 700g, though I've seen 715 a few times. I've been mixing Critical Care with baby food and giving at least once or twice per day -- so far she seemed to like sweet potato, pumpkin, butternut squash with apple, and we're gonna try green bean. I'm trying to minimize sugar, carbs, and calcium for her. She also eats pellets, hay, and veggies with her cagemates. And I sometimes add pure cranberry juice to her supplement, in case that may help with urinary issues... plus I add half a crushed shilintong pill.

So far I'm nevous to try oats, but I've come across sellers of pea flakes (on Etsy, of all places!). What's the deal with them -- helpful for weight gain? Potential side effects, or precautions? I want to assess risks versus benefits. I did read through a few forum threads but hoping to learn more. Thanks in advance!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:25 pm

Once a piggy has lost weight I have always have found it hard to get it or most of it back on them. You could try to syringe more often. We are currently syringe feeding Jill 6 times a day and are barely maintaining weight.

I wouldn't use oats as read somewhere piggies have trouble digesting them. As to pea flakes I am sorry but can't help you there. Wishing you and Zuki luck and healing vibes from me and the girls. If you find a way let me know!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:39 pm

The pea flakes are a vegetarian protein source given to a lot of animals (like chickens, in an organic feed). I don't think they are very tasty but are likely nourishing.

Tracy

Post   » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:49 am

Hello. A belated post about my Zukina... we celebrated her 6th birthday a few weeks ago. Posting some happy photos here, including a cute birthday "cake" I found from Chewy.com, a toy "hamster" that's kinda piggy size, and her pals Maisy (beige) and Pepita (tricolor).

How's she doing? Zuki still has hair loss from cystic ovaries; I have not scheduled more Cystorelin injections because her low weight is main concern currently. She's 700g on a good day, sometimes more like 685. I'm still giving her supplemental syringe feedings -- usually baby food mixed with ground pellets, plus a splash of pure cranberry juice, a pinch of shilintong, and sometimes probiotic. She helps herself to syringe whenever she's ready for another dose from Mama and tells me when she's had enough (I give as much as she wants).

I sometimes apply diaper rash cream to her bottom due to occasional urine scald, because it doesn't squirt out normally (she had a calcium stone removed and may still have calcium issues). She doesn't hunch and whimper so much while pooping and peeing, yet to me I think that's because she has less output overall (though I also hope maybe any recurrent stones/sludge passed). Only occasionally do I give metacam or Reglan, especially since the meds I have on hand are older leftovers and I don't love the 2 vets I've tried for her. Understandably she's not as active as her younger cagemates (and younger self) -- mostly stands still for a while, often under a shelter, but can still walk around and stand up at hay rack. Unfortunately, it's rare that I see her resting comfortably (curled and/or flat). And she doesn't like being handled, though we have a certain way I pick her up and move her to a comfy blanket for petting, checking her body condition, and giving treats.

I've been considering another vet visit, not just for hormone injections (from Vet #1) but also maybe another Xray to check her calcium (perhaps Vet #2 since he removed the stone from end of her urethra). But I'm nervous that both of them may not be invested in helping an older piggy and/or may recommend a bunch of tests that will confirm what we already know (cystic ovaries and calcium issues). So mostly we're taking things day by day... and I'm grateful for whatever time we have together. And though Zuki has challenges, I don't think she's suffering. She also remains the alpha within my trio -- tells the others when to back off.

Tracy

Post   » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:50 am

Photos don't show for me, despite my tinkering with formatting several times. If Admins can help, thank you!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:38 am

Glad she still doing well! Would vet one or two being asked to contact a piggy savvy vet. Vets also have there own web site called VIN. My vet has used it several times.
My vet even consulted with a vet in the UK when Zoe was sick. My vet will treat any type and what ever the age. Just pick one and ask them. If they say no go for the other vet. Wishing you Zuki luck. I see no pictures, thought it was my TV. Thinking of you both!

Tracy

Post   » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:37 pm

Hi DaisyMay. Both vets claim to be knowledgeable about guinea pigs, and each has helped when I nudge them toward the treatment I want to try. First one will likely be willing to repeat her hormones injections, but when he saw calcium stone on Xray said options are to try meds and hope she'll pass it, or euthanasia if she has crisis from blockage. Vet 2 was willing to attempt stone extraction (I sent him an article about procedure that seems successful when stone is right at the end), but he wanted repreat Xrays first (which cost a lot and stone was still at end of her urethra). And I was concerned about Zuki for several days after procedure; he said she should have recovered quickly. His practice is pricey overall and seems to want to do "full workups" before suggesting any plans. So I usually start with Vet 1 due to pricing and then shift to Vet 2 to possibly execute some plan of action (if Vet 1 doesn't have recommendations).

It's so disappointing that the Exotics section at UPenn closed and has been "restructuring and trying to hire team" for at least the 4 years I've been living here. Philadelphia is just not such a piggy place, I've learned. I do consult with a former vet back in Boston who's Board certified in Exotics with 20 years' experience, but she hasn't practiced for past few years and admits she's not always knowledgeable about the "latest and greatest." Thanks for your well wishes.

On a brighter note... I just tinkered with coding and succeeded with photos from Flickr. So here's Zuki's birthday party!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:11 pm

Glad she was a good and shared!Our Jinx had a stone we syringe her water ever 4 hours. Before surgery took another X-ray and stone was gone. Before surgery she was going to flush it first to see it could be flushed out. She was not confident on her abilities so she was relieved when stone disappeared. I would try given her more water, it can't hurt! Good luck!

SardonicSmile

Post   » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:27 pm

Very late reply on pea flakes, here in The Netherlands they are relatively easy to come by and most piggies seem to like them. They are said to be good for weightgain, but I don’t know if there is actually science behind it or just people saying it because other people said it too.

My piggies used to get a few flakes every day and as far as I can tell there are no ill effects. I will probably go back to feeding the pea flakes once I find a new store that also has the other vegetable flakes I like to give my piggies.

Tracy

Post   » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:26 pm

Hello, and thanks for chiming in about pea flakes. I bought a small bag of dried veggies including carrots, yellow and green pea flakes, and sweet potatoes, and Zuki wasn't interested. Or maybe she ate a few orange pieces but not the peas. I put some of the dried veggies in my coffee grinder (that never gets used for coffee), turned them into powder, and will try that mixed with ground pellets and the baby food (for syringe feedings). I'm trying whatever I can to help her maintain weight or possibly gain... though so far I've held off on oats. By the way, my other two DID like the veggie mix, but they can't have it too often.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:40 pm

Is it the field peas you are giving? They can provide protein in the diet.

Those are great, cheerful pictures! I'm glad you worked out how to do it (must be a jpg, jpeg, or png).

Unsure what advice I can offer but hope your vets work out a treatment plan.