Our girl Cherry has taken ill and has lost some of her appetite

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:53 am

That's a relief. Thank you for the update! Fingers crossed for continued healing.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:36 am

Ditto Sef. Hoping she recovers completely!!

duskern

Post   » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:40 am

Thx guys, I sure hope so too. I wanted to write you Monday already, but my days are so tight with taking care of the pigs, the children and working from home. She seems fine today as well <3

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:09 pm

It certainly can be challenging dealing with an ill guinea pig, making a living, and caring for children! Glad to hear she continues to seem fine.

duskern

Post   » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:35 pm

She is still doing really good and she seems totally normal. She has been making some strange sounds some times, but I haven't been able to figure out what that was about. I haven't heard it today though, so I guess it's probably nothing. She is slowly gaining more weight also :) We are to take her off the antibiotics and pain medication tomorrow, so I hope that goes well. There's nothing to suggest otherwise though. She seems to be eating fine every morning before I give the meds.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:55 pm

Excellent. Do keep us posted. So glad to hear this good news!

duskern

Post   » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:32 pm

Things are still going really good here. Cherry is doing fine. So far I haven't seen any negative signs in her behavior. We are so happy for that right now! I just hope she will continue being at good health :)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:15 pm

Excellent! Keep up the good work, both of you. :)

duskern

Post   » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:23 pm

Since I last wrote some more bad stuff has happened. Cherry slowly started eating less. We found out she had pus leaking from the wound the vet made under her chin. We initially thought it was just the wound closing that had this kind of crust, but we later saw fresh pus that was leaking from the wound.

We took her to the vet on the 16th and they did some surgery again. They cleaned the root channel, or something like that, and found out that some hay may have gotten into the channel. They gave her a couple of stitches there to keep it closed and reopened the wound under her chin to make a way for pus to come out.

She was very tired from being drugged from the surgery. We are giving here pain meds and antibiotics as well as Critical care and Fibreplex. So far she haven't been doing that well. She is not really eating yet, except for a few small leaves of leaf celery that I've found out she would take. Haven't seen her eat anything else, not even hay. This is her 4th surgery in the last 1.5 months, so I'm still hoping she will snap out of it and start to get better.

If she isn't doing better come Monday, I really fear this is goodbye :( I can't begin to express how unlucky I feel we have been with her. I love her so much, and this was not in any way how I was hoping our time with her would end :(

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:04 pm

Oh no, poor little girl. I'm awfully sorry. Was this a very lengthy procedure? I would have expected it to be relatively quick and straightforward, so it's indeed concerning that she would have issues with the anesthesia. What is the pain med and which antibiotic are you giving her now, and at what dosage? What is her current weight? How much and how often are you handfeeding her? Is she drinking at all on her own, or are you giving her fluids?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:34 pm

That poor pig. Hoping for the best.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:52 pm

I am so sorry you are both struggling through this. I so hoped there would be a good outcome.