Our girl Cherry has taken ill and has lost some of her appetite

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 29, 2021 8:50 pm

I am so sorry to hear she is having trouble eating. When it is slow and not much progress seems to be made, it can be very discouraging and worrisome.

I know Pinta would advise jiggling the syringe and slowly depressing it as long as the guinea pig was chewing. One poster used the technique of covering the eyes with one hand and syringing with the other, especially helpful for an uncooperative guinea pig. Bpatters goes into detail here:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... 9#p2299759

I don't know if either of the techniques would give you some ideas for alternate methods. I know how hard this is.

p.s. I was trying to figure out what Ronoxan was. A google search turned up Doxycycline.
"Ronaxan contains either 20 mg or 100 mg doxycycline as its active ingredient."

duskern

Post   » Mon May 31, 2021 9:31 am

Thx for the reply Lynx. We are trying out different techniques when feeding her.

We put her on the weight today, and for some reason she has dropped from 790g to 780g. Although we didn't weigh her at the same time as a couple of days before, the drop in weight really surprised me, when giving her 14ml every 3. hours. I'm not sure what to do right now as the only thing she is eating is CC and FP. We can't get her to take anything on her own. I was really sure that we would see a small increase in weight with this amount of CC put into her. That was my experience from the last time we gave a dose this high.

Yes it's correct, the Ronoxan we have is 20mg Doxycycline.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 31, 2021 9:26 pm

The 10g might not be significant. As you probably know, you are looking for a pattern of weight loss. You can pick a couple times a day to weigh her. Try to pick times that have some kind of pattern (like just before feeding her at a particular time of day).
https://www.guinealynx.info/weigh.html

duskern

Post   » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:39 am

It has taken me some time to actually be able to write this. We decided to put Cherry to sleep on the 1st of June. It was not an easy decision, but our vet helped us reach it. Cherry couldn't really take any more and was not showing any signs of getting better. Along with the heavy costs in time and stress, that was taking a real toll on our family, we just couldn't do it anymore.

Just writing this takes me back, and I miss our last pigs, Luna and Cherry, so much <3 The time after have been hard, but I also feel an immense relief, since the anxiety I have been dealing with for years, was tightly coupled to worrying about our pets. All this time with Cherry constantly being ill, has been somewhat of a nightmare for me. Now it's over and we are not getting any more pigs, since I just can't deal with the constant worrying. Having two kids is enough! That being said, I'm so terrible sad that it had to end this way. I'd rather we could have had Cherry for a couple of more years without her being sick all the time, while also letting me get used to the idea of not having her anymore...

I'd like to put up some pictures of her, but I've forgotten what picture sharing services actually work on this forum. Any suggestions?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:03 pm

I am so sorry for your loss but know you did the best for her. I understand the worry you have gone through. It is stressful to constantly care for an ill guinea pig and not see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am glad your vet helped you make this difficult decision. You have our sympathy.

I think Flicker works. There are others too.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:36 am

My condolences, I'm sorry that Cherry could not recover. I understand how stressful it was to care for her during her illness. I have been through that with dogs and it feels like you are giving hospice care - it is just exhausting.

You are such good pet owners, maybe in the future when the kids are older, you will find time to take in a guinea pig or two who need a good home.

Take care of yourselves.

duskern

Post   » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:08 am

Like I wrote some time ago, I wanted to put up a couple of pictures of her. Can't remember if I've done that before, but I'd like you all to see that lovely red little girl you have all helped me care for so much! There's a nice picture of her and Luna in the Luna thread also.

She was so lovely and beautiful, I have tears in my eyes just looking at the pictures <3

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:44 pm

Yes, what a beautiful girl she was! And what lovely button eyes!

I know you miss her terribly.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:44 am

She was adorable, especially her face. I'm sorry you lost her.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:04 am

She was just lovely and also very fortunate to have had such a caring home.

duskern

Post   » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:04 am

Thank you so much everyone. It means a lot to me <3 I just really wanted to let you guys see some pictures of our two beautiful girls that many of you have helped over the last couple of years.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 14, 2021 1:39 pm

And thank you for sharing your pictures of them.