Jay and Jersey's thread

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:41 am

Daisymay writes:
Hello everyone, I am Jay. But please do not look at me as my mummy slave put this stupid hat on my head and I hate it. It messes up my mohawk.

Today January 17th 2022 I turned 3, At one point my mum didn't think I would get here. Still not eating all my food but with mum's hand feeding I am hovering 860-880grams now.

I got very spoilt today and got 2 nice comfy beds as a present. They match my fur.

Mum tells me now I am 3 I am middle age. I don't feel it so I am going to ignore her as I am as young as I feel. I have had a wonderful day and am sorry in 90 minutes it will end.

Well mummy is coming so going to hop of computer before she catches me! Happy birthday to me!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:23 pm

Happy birthday Jay! Two beds - that's exciting.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:48 pm

Thank-you Lynx and Bookfan. Jay says wheek to you both.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:50 pm

:-)

Renonvsparky

Post   » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:45 am

Happy birthday sweet little piggie!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:42 am

Happy birthday to Jay! What a cutie!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:45 pm

OK, Another first for me. About 14 days ago Jay started to make this noise as if she was snoring/nose blocked. Three trips later to the vet she finally did the noise there. Ashley said the noise was made because Jay is suffering from soft palete issues.

Now (1) would this stop her from eating? (2) Is there anything the vet can do? Jay went to vet today and got sedated and all teeth good. Had small ultra sound and again all good.

So what is causing her to stop eating? Is she lonely? This started shortly after her friend Jersey passed away. But any piggy I introduce her too ends up looking like 2 lions fighting each other. Have barrier dividing play pen but some how one gets in with the other and all hell breaks loose. Any suggestions much appreciated! So have it now where they can't see each other.

Thanks for the birthday wishes Lynx, Renonvsparky and ItsaZoo!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:52 pm

Have you asked your vet those questions? Perhaps he/she could clearly describe exactly what soft palate issues are present?

So they fight even when they are in a large open space? Is one clearly the aggressor?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:53 am

Have you asked your vet those questions? Perhaps he/she could clearly describe exactly what soft palate issues are present
Lynx by now you should be use to my vets and their lack of knowledge! BUT the only signs she is showing I can tell is her noisy breathing. Something between a snore and blocked nose. Seems to happen when she is relaxed or asleep. It gets so loud I have to turn TV volume up.This is the only symptom that I know off. Have noticed when she cleans her face instead of milky liquid in her eye it comes out her nose. On ultrasound vet noticed she had a lot of fat in abdomen/tummy.

Her diet (USA and UK may call some of these by a different name). Red/green leaf oak lettuce, Cos lettuce, silverbeet, choy, carrot, continental cucumber, cherry tomato, cat or rye grass. Has meadow and Timothy hay, Oxbow pellets on paw, water bottle. But she shows no interest in food. She is being hand fed 4 times a day.
So they fight even when they are in a large open space? Is one clearly the aggressor?
Have tried her with Jewel, Jinx and Justice all failures. Jay is normally the aggressor except with Justice then that would be they both are! I hate putting Jewel or Jinx in with her as they are now 5 and are happy where they are. The current pen is 8ft by 2ft which I assumed was big enough for 2 piggies. I strongly believe Jay put Jersey under so much stress that is what killed her. Jersey use to give as much as she got but went very quiet once Jill passed away 3 weeks before Jersey herself passed. Keep you posted. Thanks Lynx.

What test is there to see if piggy has lost sight and smell?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:40 am

I don't know about smell. Sight, this will be helpful:
https://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html#blindness

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:04 am

Reasons for not eating:
Changes in diet (no changes)
Wide temperature swings(no change)
Poisoning maybe something in hay???
Water deprivation (water bottle)
Loss of a cage mate (Jersey passed August 18th 2021)
An aggressive cage mate preventing another's eating (lives alone)
Mechanical problems with feeders or sipper tubes works good.
Food changes (too hard or unpalatable food or a poorly designed diet) Diet in previous post.
Dental malocclusion you checked them. Is tongue trapped? Check sore from scraping teeth??
Pain-Could be in pain rarely moves around but what is causing the pain???
Loss of smell (How to test that???)
Obesity not fat!
Oral lacerations-don't know???
Infectious diseases (such as pneumonia) Hope not!!!
Metabolic disorders such as Vitamin C deficiency or renal failure Maybe kidneys? Critical Care full of Vitamin C.
Analgesic use can cause anorexia-Only on Pron8ture and Metomide.
Will read link. Thanks Lynx.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:01 am

I think I would place a follow up call to your vet and find out exactly what kind of soft palate issue she saw. For example, does she think the palate is elongated, or was there something else she observed? This is not really a condition that would be species-specific, and she should have some idea of what to expect in terms of eating and breathing, and any potential impact the condition might have on heart and lungs in the future. I would also ask her if she thinks any kind of surgical intervention is warranted.

Inappetence can be caused by any number of things, as you noted. You mentioned that your vet did a dental exam. Was anything else ruled out during the visit? That really does sound like something you will need to work further with your vet on to help determine what might be going on.

Good luck!