Jay and Jersey's thread

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:17 pm

I am thinking of asking the vet whether it would be a good idea to start Jay on hormone injections. She did have a quick ultrasound whilst there but vet didn't know what he was looking at. Plus he could feel nothing.

She is showing all signs apart from fur lost. The vet said it was that as she would be bleeding and in pain etc. Anyways I bit my tongue. She is definitely in season and presenting herself, off her food and swollen tummy region(not hard). Now Jessie was on a cattle one but can't remember the name. Would anyone know the name of drug Jessie was on? Leave it to these vets and they might give her one for parakeets or something. Thanks in advance. Keep you posted.

Rearranged pen so she can see Jewel now but all she does is lay at barrier looking at her. When put onto neutral territory she fights like a tiger. Can't win with this one!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:38 pm

You are saying she has ovarian cysts?
https://www.guinealynx.info/ovarian_cysts.html

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:55 pm

You are saying she has ovarian cysts

I think so. Even though Ashley felt and saw nothing Jay is displaying same symptoms as Jessie did when she had cyst in her ovaries. But she might have something else as every piggy is different. Only going by past experiences. Thanks for reply Lynx.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:57 pm

Just got back from the vet. Vet couldn't feel any cyst, she did an X-ray and couldn't see any neither. So she is looking into hormone injection for behaviour issues. She will look up best one to get and order it. NOT sure where I read it but can one give guinea pigs Valium? This I have at home for myself. I am not sure if I saw it or not. I might have dreamt it. Mind all over the place. Thanks in advance!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:19 pm

Valium is prescribed by a vet in specific doses to sometimes stimulate appetite.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:00 am

Is it safe to use? Safer than some of the medication my girls have be subjected too. Thanks Lynx.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:59 am

You have to have a vet prescribe it to have it recorded in your guinea pig's treatment and to have the dose administered properly (the right amount).

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:33 pm

What hormone is good to use for behaviour? Something has to be used to calm her down. She is like a dog in season and wants to be with other pigs but when put in with one she just fights. So she is lonely but when she has a friend she fights. She is her own worse enemy. Thanks Lynx.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:58 pm

From the ovarian cyst page. This should help with hormonal issues too.
For guinea pigs that are poor surgical candidates, hormone treatments such as HCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) may temporarily shrink ovarian cysts.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Apr 13, 2022 2:12 am

Thanks Lynx. Just clarifying Jay has no cyst what she does have is bad piggy attitude! Will pass onto vet! Thanks again.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:22 am

Anyone heard of the hormone Gonadorelin. She would get 25ug then a repeat in 2 weeks. Would like opinions. Thanks. Google says it causes females to ovulate. I am not sure Jay needs help with that. https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... onadorelin

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:41 pm