Blood spots on Lacey’s bedding

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:17 am

I was thinking the same thing that it’s hormonal. She’s peeing normally, no sign of blood, and no indication of pain or straining so I doubt it’s a UTI or stones. I’ve been keeping notes and watching eating habits and behavior in addition to weight. She is feeling good and eating well. If I wasn’t using white bedding, I would never know there was an issue.

So I think at this point I'll wait and see and if there are changes I’ll contact the vet. Just 3 weeks ago the vet did a really thorough abdominal exam plus an ultrasound of her abdomen, bladder, and uterus - everything looked okay.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:31 am

Ditto Lynx. Guinea pig heat cycles are every 14-16 days, so anything that happens on that timeline is very apt to be related to it. A few guinea pig sows do spot a bit when in heat.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Dec 20, 2019 1:18 pm

Thanks for the info - you have so much more experience with this than I do. It seemed like a lot of blood to me - about the diameter of a pea or little fingerprint. But she was sleeping in her hidey for a few hours so it probably was just a few drops.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:53 am

Lacey had a vet visit yesterday. She tore a toenail and I had a tough time stopping the bleeding. She somehow got her toenail caught between the base of her cage and the cage itself. I found the nail, poor thing. The vet said it's better to have the whole nail go than cracked or torn, and he expects it to grow back a little thicker. So he recommended a drop of hydrogen peroxide on the tip of the toe, and then a dot of Polysporin using a cotton swab.

Her foot looks good today, no redness or swelling, but she must have some pain because her activity level is less. She's eating and anxious for food. I'm just concerned because feet are so delicate.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:55 am

Oh, poor sweetie! Do you have any Metacam?

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Oct 24, 2020 1:00 am

No, I don't have any pain meds. She's on fleece so a soft surface, and I took the shelf out of her overnight cage so she can't jump up on anything. Tonight she was standing up on the bars waiting for vitamin C, so it must be feeling better. I thought a cool pack would feel good, but I don't want to freeze her toes.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:44 am

Does sound like she is feeling better! Waiting for her vitamin C. What a good little patient she is. ;)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:52 am

Sorry about the lost toenail!

I wonder if a topical anesthetic like those used for babies that are teething might help.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:02 am

I wondered about that, too (Orajel).

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:44 pm

Oh, I never thought of that. I’ll have to pick some up.

Lacey’s doing well today. She’s eating well and moving around sleeping in different places. She’s not limping or hiding. Her toe isn’t swollen and it’s a healthy pink like the others. I cleaned it and put a dot of Polysporin on it this morning and she didn’t seem to mind. So I’m hopeful there are no issues and she’ll heal okay.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:17 pm

Oh good! I'm so glad her pretty little toe is better.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:20 am

That is encouraging! Ripped toenails do seem to heal fine in almost all cases but it is disconcerting to have it happen.