"Healthy" Piggie Peeing Blood.

victoria15

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:21 pm

Hi all,

English is my second language so I am sorry if you find it hard to read and understand. I chose to post here, the Cavy Chat, instead of Medical Forums because although it is related to health, it is not an emergency situation.

I have two pigs and one of them has been peeing blood since earlier this year. I went to the vet 2 times and the vet cannot give me an answer what was causing my pig to pee blood.

Clarifications:

1) I went to the same exotic twice (She has experience with pigs. She removed abscess from my pig in the past).
2) Blood Test (Blood Positive, no infection, no White Blood Cell) and X-Ray examination (No stone in the bladder) were taken.
3) The Vet made sure that the sample, the fluid which contained blood, was taken from urinary tract, not from else where.
4) I asked for testing twice in 3 ~ 4 months interval.... end up costing at least 400-450 dollars just to be told, basically, good luck and hopefully there is no significant bad problem. Both times, the testings gave us the same result: No infection (no White Blood Cell), Yes Red Blood Cell, clear x-ray result.
5) Most of the time, I cannot visually see the blood in her pee, but I sometimes do.
6) She plays, eats, and runs healthily as before. Her weight is consistent.
7) There is no bad chemistry between two pigs that I own. They aren't like best friends, but neither of them are showing fear and they feel comfortable to steal food from each other.
8) My pig shows no sign of pain. She poos and pees fine. She does not hunch her back.
9) At my first vet visit, when the x-ray told us that my pig has no stones, my vet said that maybe my pig had the stone in the bladder but she peed it out. When she peed the stone out, the stone may had given a scratch; thus, maybe the blood is due to that scratch. (I doubt this bc she's been bleeding for such a long period now).
10) I feel she tends to bleed darker when she is stressed. For example, at the vet visit, my pig peed clear fluid on her 1st try, but her 2nd pee was darker in color. However, I do not see any posts or discussion on piggies peeing blood due to stress.
11) I asked for potential disorders. My vet explained that she has seen a dog that had a benign disorder but we dont have enough research on guinea pigs. Also, in order to give a conclusion like that, I must continue to spend money for different examinations.
12) Although she sometimes pees a dark-toned translucent pee, it is not an opaque red pee like the pictures that we can find on google pictures.

I understand that, ideally, I should continue spending another 200-250 dollars on second, third, forth etc opinions from other vets until somebody can find the cause and an answer. Regarding my vet's examination, I've made research prior to the vet visits and she did the examinations that I expected her to do.

It's been weeks and months since I noticed her bleeding. She has not lost weight and has been eating well.

I am posting this experience not because I am suggesting other owners to cross their fingers when their pigs pee blood. I really would like to know if any of you had been in the same situation as me.

Thank you for reading.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:41 pm

I moved your post. It is definitely medical-related, and so does not belong in Cavy Chat.

Are you seeing blood clots? or just pink-tinged blood? or just plain blood like you would see from a cut?

Although sows don't ordinarily bleed when in heat, occasionally one will. If this is what's going on with your sow, you'll see it every 14-16 days for a day or so, but not in between.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:56 pm

Some foods will color pee too. Ditto on asking if this is diluted blood (pink pee) or red blood. Some blood will turn a rusty orange color. Porphyrins are supposedly the cause. Ditto on the red blood that a very few sows may show associated with their cycle. For my guinea pig it was one or two day, just a few drops.

victoria15

Post   » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:43 am

Thank you for your responses and for moving my post to the suitable thread.
My response is long so the summary is that I think it was just a menstrual cycle. May I ask a quick question? Will she be bleeding for the rest of her life or stops when she gets old?

Food- I do not feed any food that cause coloring. I knew this fact because my brother went to doctor after he ate a lot of beet in the past.

Blood- On the very first day that I noticed, I saw very red liquid on the fleece blanket. It looked too red to be a liquid from vegetables so I picked my piggies up to check if they are OK. One of the girl had plain blood leaking from her vagina. I immediately brought her to the vet. Since then, I only see a pink(or brown)-tinged pee and never seen that vibrant red blood spots again. I thought of menstrual cycle too as I am female, but I could not find any resources that would suggest so (All said it is a serious condition when piggies pee blood). I think around that time, my pig was turning 6 or 7 months. I did not keep a record, but I feel like I see dark pee spots (usually approx. 4) on white towel every 2 weeks when I clean up. I do not know how long she bleeds for because I use a colorful fleece bedding. I spot a blood on white towels underneath the top layer when I clean up. Her pink-tinged pee will turn dark when I leave it in a container.

I think I am convinced that this is just a menstrual cycle and my vet did not know about this (I am disappointed. Vet fees are too expensive). All online resources that I found said it must be a serious medical condition but now, I just wish I came here after my 2nd visit.

Thank you very much for your knowledge and time. I am now free from feeling guilty and hopeless. Thank you, thank you!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:05 am

Sounds like that may be what you're seeing. If you start to notice other symptoms, though (straining/difficulty urinating or defecating; crying when urinating/defecating or other signs of pain; reduced appetite and weight loss) do have it checked out further.

Good luck!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:24 am

Most sows don't bleed, but it's not terribly uncommon to find one that does. But you're right, your vet should have known that.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:28 am

The handful of drops of blood for no more than 3 days or so is what my guinea pig had. If you were seeing lots of constant blood, that would indicate a problem.

A very few members can tell when a guinea pig is in heat. There is a membrane that dissolves at this time. This would coincide with the bleeding if there was a relationship with the menstrual cycle.

victoria15

Post   » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:30 pm

Thank you all for the advice and support. I did not expect I would get many responses and most importantly, THE ANSWER!!! to my piggie's situation.

I will look into different vet clinic. The fees were too expensive for me to "just get over with it." I could have used that money to feed my pigs for several months.

victoria15

Post   » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:29 pm

My 3 years old soar has a big, soft, and un-ruptured lump on her back, close to her butt. It is big: approximately 5.5cmx4.4cmx1.4cm. Since it is that big without being ruptured, I am guessing it is trichofolliculoma and not abscess. She has been active, happy, and shown no change in appetite and temper. I only have one picture from April to see how fast the lump as grown but it was hard to tell. I have many pictures of their faces but not their butt. However, it seems pretty big back in April already. So dumb of me. I've made a vet appointment earlier this week and asked for the earliest possible... which was on this weekend. Maybe because of COVID, I was rejected by 4 clinics (that say they see exotic small animals on their website) and my choice was to go to the most expensive vet in the town. To be precise, one of the 4 clinics could have seen my pig... but if she needs a surgery, it would be in fall. I was hoping to upload pictures but I could not figure out how to. Maybe I will figure it out once she is shaved. The surgery would have been easier if smaller; It would have given less stress to her; what if the lump is too close to her anus and surgery/recovery becomes even more difficult?; what if it is malignant?. I am embarrassed how I let it grow that big. So disappointed in me.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:33 pm

If it is clear where the lump is and its size, you can email me a couple photos to put up.

This fall is way to far away. I am sure you are frustrated.

victoria15

Post   » Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:19 pm

Hi Lynx,

I just send you the pictures. Thank you so much. I think I wrote it badly: I did not make an appointment with the clinic that said surgery would be in fall. The receptionist recommended me to ask elsewhere. I made an appointment with the 5th clinic that accepted my pig, but I have not asked when the surgery would be yet. When I was calling around, receptionists were telling me to contact clinics that I got rejected already.... so it must be hard time for other piggie owners in my town, too.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:23 am

Here you go. Usually the sort of lumps we see are not centered on the body but on one side or another.

Do let us know what the vet you eventually see thinks. The primary problem with waiting (I know you don't want to wait) is that if the lump increases in size, it is more difficult to remove because the skin needs to be stretched over a larger area. I did not think you were going to wait until the fall.

I see you are in British Columbia. Are you anywhere near Vancouver? We have a longtime member who has had guinea pigs forever and has worked with some excellent vets in Vancouver. She might have some ideas for you.