"Healthy" Piggie Peeing Blood.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:40 am

These pictures are very helpful in trying to see what is going on and how clearly a problem still exists. I don't remember if I asked for permission to permanently add your photos to your topic but they could be very helpful to future readers.

A second surgery certainly seems necessary. I am glad they are doing it at no charge. With the images I posted above of another guinea pig, I believe one of the concerns was being able to close the site because skin was lost. Will vet C do the surgery? I hope the second surgery goes well.

You are such a diligent owner! She is still eating well enough, not losing any more weight?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:36 am

You need a new vet. Is there one available?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:10 am

I had noticed you were in British Columbia and mentioned we had a longtime member in Vancouver. You wrote:
" I live somewhat near Vancouver but I would need to take the ferry to get there."

It might possibly be worth your while to use the mailer to communicate with GL member Pinta, the person in Vancouver who might have some ideas regarding finding a good vet. Switching to vet C (if a good surgeon and knowledgeable about guinea pigs) seems a reasonable first step. You want the surgery corrected.

Continue to weigh regularly, monitor for pain. Not rereading but do you have pain medication? Pain will affect the ability/willingness to eat.

victoria15

Post   » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:13 pm

Hi, sorry that my posts are long. I give my permission to Lynx for using the pictures that I provided.

Overall - I asked Vet C to take over and she will return on Wednesday. My pig's surgery date is not set yet.

I purchased a bottle of metacam so I will be good for another 60 days, at least. As of now, she is not showing pain and she is eating well. She is gradually gaining weight, too.

Today, I asked for a medical record via email. I received a response that they will send me one when he "completes". I emailed back that the surgery was weeks ago. Then the response was that the doctors always want to double check. I called the clinic because Monday is a statutory holiday in B.C. and I wanted to hear something before the clinic closes. While waiting for the call, I received the medical record from the front. According to the notes on yesterday's appointment, it says that there is no surgical notes to refer to; but I got the surgical notes now so he wrote it yesterday or today. The front told me that Vet A will contact me as soon as his appointments for today end. I got a call from Vet A about an hour ago. He told me the plan is to have him do the surgical revision so I asked for vet C to take over. Vet C will return next Wednesday and then she will schedule my pig in.

The vet A explained to me that the surgery will involve bringing healthy skin from elsewhere. He said that it is called "flap." I think this is what vet C suggested on her notes: "I think the skin can be peeled back and remove the tissue to save the skin for closure."

Regarding the vet in Vancouver - She clearly looked tired taking a cab ride so I am not sure if she would be okay with the ferry... I am keeping in mind of your suggestions.

Other vet options - I was rejected by many clinics and I went to this clinic by elimination process.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:34 pm

I think we all want to be optimistic.

This may have been a complicated mass that was truly difficult to completely remove. I also would be more comfortable having vet C do the surgery. With any type of surgery like this (and certainly a second surgery), having enough skin to cover the area is definitely important. I don't recall hearing about other guinea pigs getting transplanted skin but since this is also a human procedure, I am sure veterinarians also use the technique.

If you like to do online research, I remember how interesting I found articles on "wound care".

I am encouraged she has a good appetite and you have pain medication to administer. Sending good wishes!

Thanks for permission to add the pics. I will go do that.

victoria15

Post   » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:42 am

Vet C did the cyst removal surgery. It's only been 1day+ but so far, it is looking good!!! I am so happy and I kept looking at the picture of her butt during work today.

Vet C called me in the Wednesday morning and said that she will do my pig's surgery if the morning surgeries go smooth. I got a call in the afternoon so I ask my mom to drop her.

Before the surgery: graphic so I am leaving URL: ttps://imgur.com/Xcqze9T
The night before the surgery, I removed the cone of shame because it was giving injuries around her neck. As a result, she reached and ripped it open over the night.

SEE THE DIFFERENCE! - All images are taken on the day she had surgery -
Surgery Jul 7
- lump still exists, never healed, abnormal cells came back and grew really fast.

Revision surgery (free) on Aug 4
- Vet C performed external stitches because there was not a lot of skin. Unlike Vet A, she asked the technician (?) to see the cyst under microscope to make sure it's not a cancer (still waiting for a result). Vet C will be on vacation soon so I am glad it was done before that.
- :) :) :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:32 pm

This looks very encouraging! I sure hope it heals okay. Did she decide to prescribe antibiotics? Do you need to put the cone back on to avoid her pulling at the stitches?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:43 pm

If you have her wearing a cone, then see if you can retrieve some of her cecal poops and offer them to her to eat. They're very important for digestion, and she can't reach them if she's got a cone around her neck.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:17 pm

Very important point! I wish there was another way of preventing her from pulling out her stitches. Did she by any chance use both glue and stitches?

You might want to supplement with some B vitamins if she is unable to eat her cecal feces (they are the stinky ones, often green).

Body bandages can help but they would be difficult to apply in that location and would also not leave the area open to air out/keep dry.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:49 am

I hope this is a success and she heals nicely. So glad you got Vet C to take care of this.

victoria15

Post   » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:11 pm

Hi,

Sorry I was away for a bit. I got the second COVID vaccination two days ago and got sick from it.

Anyway,
- Vet C explained that she will not be prescribing antibiotics unless it infects. She suggested to apply atopical one (polysporin) twice a day.
- I made the new cone for her. It is not long enough to prevent her from eating, but should be enough to prevent her from chewing the site. I am hoping that this length would be good enough since the stitches are around her tailbone. I will look out if she can reach it in next few days since that's when the stitches get itchy.
- Regarding body bandages: I tried this before the revision surgery but she hated how it felt (maybe the tape was pulling her fur) and rubbed her butt against the wall to remove it.
- Regarding cecal poop: Oh... I did not know there is a difference between the regular and cecal poop... I was just offering the freshest one and she was not taking it.

Other observation: The incision from the first surgery looked wrong by this time. It was leaky and it looked like the site wants to open.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:21 pm

So it sounds like the incision looks really good this time? In contrast to last time? That is excellent.