"Healthy" Piggie Peeing Blood.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:17 pm

Very important point! I wish there was another way of preventing her from pulling out her stitches. Did she by any chance use both glue and stitches?

You might want to supplement with some B vitamins if she is unable to eat her cecal feces (they are the stinky ones, often green).

Body bandages can help but they would be difficult to apply in that location and would also not leave the area open to air out/keep dry.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:49 am

I hope this is a success and she heals nicely. So glad you got Vet C to take care of this.

victoria15

Post   » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:11 pm

Hi,

Sorry I was away for a bit. I got the second COVID vaccination two days ago and got sick from it.

Anyway,
- Vet C explained that she will not be prescribing antibiotics unless it infects. She suggested to apply atopical one (polysporin) twice a day.
- I made the new cone for her. It is not long enough to prevent her from eating, but should be enough to prevent her from chewing the site. I am hoping that this length would be good enough since the stitches are around her tailbone. I will look out if she can reach it in next few days since that's when the stitches get itchy.
- Regarding body bandages: I tried this before the revision surgery but she hated how it felt (maybe the tape was pulling her fur) and rubbed her butt against the wall to remove it.
- Regarding cecal poop: Oh... I did not know there is a difference between the regular and cecal poop... I was just offering the freshest one and she was not taking it.

Other observation: The incision from the first surgery looked wrong by this time. It was leaky and it looked like the site wants to open.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:21 pm

So it sounds like the incision looks really good this time? In contrast to last time? That is excellent.

victoria15

Post   » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:47 pm

Hi,

I just wanted to report that Choco passed away last night. She was underweight and was suffering from the lower stomach pain (not diagnosed) so I went to the emergency to get the Metacam so we can manage the pain until the appointment with exotic vet. The vet instead suggested buprenorphine and she took my pig to the medical room to give the first dose. When Choco returned, she did not seem like she was doing well and stopped moving but was able to stand up. We took her home but after about two-three hours, she passed away. She showed few signs of overdose. She was not pooping at all after the initial dose, her body was giving a weird "hiccup"-like muscle movements, she could not stand up, became paralyzed (her backfoot spread out and could not fold back in), and passed away when I was about to ask for the med (Narcan) to reverse opioid. She was giving the last attempt to standup when she passed away. She must have been scared that she was losing control over her body. Although the receipt shows that she was only dosed 0.03mg, these to me are clear signs of overdose.

I feel some guinea pigs and rabbits do not respond well to this type of med. Although it may had been by chance that she reacted badly, I want the owners to keep in mind about it.

Lastly, thank you so much to Guinealynx members who supported Choco and provided me of good info/resources when she was ill last year.

Wishing fast recovery for all the rest of piggies in discomfort or pain,
Y.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:07 pm

Oh, I'm so sorry about little Choco. Thank you for the update.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:49 pm

I'm so very sorry. I know Choco was well-cared for and deeply loved.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:56 pm

I'm so sorry. RIP little one.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:07 pm

I’m so sorry you lost Choco. She had such good care with you. Take care of yourself.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:02 pm

I'm very sorry you lost her.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:04 pm

I am so sorry for your loss. You tried so hard to take care of her medical issues.