Slight diarrhea, not acting 100% himself

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:26 pm

You might want to skip the yogurt drops too. Treats generally aren't recommended in a good diet (unless you are talking healthy greens treats). Some have added calcium, too.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:13 pm

Is it possible for gas to cause a pig to vocalize while pooping/going to the bathroom? I am planning on bringing Leo to a new vet and get a second opinion, because they keep passing him off as fine even though he's clearly uncomfortable.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:23 pm

Yes, our gassy pig sometimes vocalizes when he eliminates, particularly if he's gassy at the time. I think a second opinion is a good idea.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:42 pm

Update-

Leo has been looked over more thoroughly with an x-ray, and nothing of significance was found. The vet said he was practically a perfect specimen as far as she was concerned. We then ran another urinalysis and fecal float at my insistence and both came back negative for infection and parasites.

So I am almost inclined to think his digestive system is just incredibly sensitive and that's why he has a hard time going. He will just sit in a corner or in his hidey and when he comes out after a while there is just a huge pile of poop! He just looks uncomfortable while he's going, sitting hunched up a little and squinting. I should also mention that he's always had large poops, and I wonder if it's because of the size that he's having troubles?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:20 pm

Most intact boars have very large poops.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:31 pm

I wonder if a low dose of Reglan would be helpful. Did the vet happen to mention using a motility drug as needed?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:06 pm

Not rereading but I imagine impaction has been ruled out?
www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html

amberkenn2016

Post   » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:25 pm

Hello all! I suppose we're back at it again with digestive issues. Last night, Leo was refusing all veggies and, because this is very unusual for him, I rushed him to the cities to an ER vet. No x-rays or tests were taken, as the vet was confident that what was happening was excess gas in his stomach. He was sent home with Reglan every 8 hours, metacam, and critical care.

He was eating a little hay before and after the visit, and is still showing interest in eating his hay and pellets. I was able to give him a baby carrot when we got home last night, but he hasn't shown interest in veggies since. He is still passing stool, but it's very soft and is a little less than normal. I haven't noticed any weight loss yet, but I will be weighing him once a day to monitor that.

I should also mention too that when we came home last night, he peed a pale pink, which hasn't happened since. I sent off a urine sample to our usual vet to see if there's an infection going on. He has had UTI's in the past, and it's been a long time, but I wanted to be sure.

His buddy Morty is still with us, if you guys remember my thread for him in late March. It just seems to almost come in waves when one of them doesn't feel good, something happens to the others. If there is any info or advice you could give, I'd greatly appreciate it. Right now I'm practically on pig duty and staying as close to the cage as I can.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:40 pm

I think sometimes when a vet manipulates the stomach area, slight blood in urine is reported. If there is any grit or debris or a stone in the bladder, the wall of the bladder can be irritated by the palpation.

Sending good wishes to you and your guinea pigs!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:07 pm

I hope Leo is doing better and eating veggies again. Also, glad to hear Morty is doing well.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:01 pm

I have a good update for Leo! He's practically back to his normal self and is eating regularly again. He's also pooping normally and was negative for sludge and infection. The vet said that I caught this early and luckily all he needed was a gut stimulant and some unwanted forcefeeding, lol! But he's feeling much better now, thankfully.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:50 pm

That is a great update! I hope he continues to do well.