Slight diarrhea, not acting 100% himself

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:31 pm

I wouldn't ask for an ultrasound to diagnose stones; x-ray is a better diagnostic tool for that. Being puffed up is often a sign of pain.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:15 pm

Alright, so I was not able to be at the appointment because I had work, so I had a relative bring him in. The vet decided against both an ultrasound and xray because no crystals were found in the urine, so she isn't suspecting a stone. There was quite a bit of bacteria so she switched his meds to Baytril, as he was on Albon before. She would want to do an ultrasound in a week if things did not improve for him.

He is still doing pretty good, he's still eating, drinking, and maintaining his weight. However he still looks a tad uncomfortable to me, so I'm hoping that's because the medicine hasn't taken effect just yet. He was not given another round of Revolution, so I'm going to be calling the vet back to request another round of that.

The vet did not give us a painkiller, and I have some leftover dog metacam that has not expired, would it be alright if he had that for a short while? I want to make sure he's as comfortable as possible through all of this. Also, if the Revolution didn't work, would it be worth a shot to try Ivermectin instead?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:06 pm

Better choice if the vet suspected a urinary tract infection would probably have been Bactrim rather than Baytril, but I suppose it's worth a try to see if knocks out anything else that might be lurking. I'm just not a big fan of throwing antibiotics at something without clear evidence of infection. I would strongly recommend using a probiotic with Baytril.

Remind me...you have done two rounds of Revolution? You can certainly treat with Ivermectin yourself. Do read the Mites/Ivermectin pages here very carefully. This needs to be *plain* Ivermectin with nothing else added, and needs to be dosed carefully based on weight.

What pain med do you have?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:46 pm

Read over www.guinealynx.info/antibiotic_advice.html too. The Baytril may throw off his appetite (weigh/continue to weigh daily).

amberkenn2016

Post   » Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:09 pm

I had asked for Bactrim but they had given us the Baytril instead, and he is taking it rather well. I'm continuously weighing him and so far he's been maintaining it still. I ran and got the Revolution and put it on Leo, but now I'm starting to think this might be fungal. He does have a cage mate now but I not heard or seen them fighting, yet now Leo has a bald patch on the side of his jaw.

It's not flaky from what I can see, but I'm putting Miconazole on it just in case it is indeed fungal. It looks red with no scabs. I would take a photo but he is not the most photogenic pig I've encountered.

I have Metacam, the 1.5mg/ml kind, of which I've been giving about .15 ml every 12 hours with his antibiotics. Yet, he's still looking a little uncomfortable, so I don't know if I should up the amount or keep it the same.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:14 pm

Metacam dose is based on weight, with a sliding scale up or down to manage pain. What is his current weight?

amberkenn2016

Post   » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:08 pm

Leo currently weighs 2 lb 11 oz

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:03 pm

For his weight, .17ml would be a higher-end dose, and the recommendation is generally every 24 hours. You're dosing a little less than that but giving it to him every 12 hours, so I personally wouldn't bump it up much beyond that.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:16 pm

Oh okay, thank you! I've heard that since their digestive systems move fast it doesn't stay with them very long, so that's why I try to do it only twice a day. But I'll stick to that then.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:09 am

It gets absorbed into the blood stream, so I don't think gut transit time has anything to do with its effectiveness.

amberkenn2016

Post   » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:17 pm

Hi all! I figured I would give an update on Leo, and fortunately it's good news.

He's much more active! When he was in the thick of it I had to motivate him to get up and eat but now he's so vocal and is officially back to his original energy level. He had an ultrasound done a week ago, and he was cleared for stones. He is still on the baytril only for a couple more days, and I intend to keep him on it until then so as to not celebrate early. He's lying down so much more comfortably now, and I bet he's getting more undisturbed rest as a result. I'm so happy, I'm almost to tears. I'll give another update once he's off the meds, so let's hope this will be all there is.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:57 pm

Thanks for the update! So happy to hear he is doing well! I take it you are continuing to weigh daily (it helps in making sure he is eating enough)?