Jack with abscess

daj

Post   » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:09 pm

It won't be here until sometime Wednesday, and there doesn't seem to be any local availability, so I just have to wait. Now my middle pig is having painful poops. I thought Jack's pain had returned because I heard a squeal, but then I saw Melvin pooping with a squeal. I had Jack on the floor earlier, and he races about, happy as could be. So, now I plan to start Melvin on the same protocol, and I'll have to get him x-rayed. This is weird.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:19 pm

Strange if it is the same issue. Diet? Bacteria? Both? I don't know but hope he's okay.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:17 pm

My guess would be bacteria (UTI).

daj

Post   » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:26 am

Now I've seen blood in his urine just like Jack. I don't know if they're from the same litter. Can you get a brown and a black pig in the same litter?

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:19 am

Absolutely. And long hair and short hair from the same litter.

My guess would be a UTI that is getting passed back and forth. It would be an odd coincidence if they both had stones at the same time, but I guess not impossible.

daj

Post   » Sun Sep 06, 2020 11:12 am

I wonder if I should start him on the Baytril I have for Jack? Vets won't be back until Tuesday. You may be right about the blood clearing up in Jack being due to the antibiotic rather than the diet change.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:31 pm

They don't have an emergency number? Ideally you would run this by your vet first - then he/she would have a better idea of how serious this is and will agree with giving antibiotics until he can be seen.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Sep 06, 2020 4:16 pm

Yeah, I'm not big on giving antibiotics (particularly Baytril) without knowing for sure that there is an infection.

daj

Post   » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:00 pm

Just reading your posts now, but I went ahead and gave it to him this morning. I heard him yelp again, and thought I can't wait. I didn't think of trying to get the vet, and I assumed she would agree with starting him on it. I didn't want to do nothing until Tuesday. Now what? Do I continue?

I am confused on the antibiotics. I thought Baytril was milder than Bactrim? Is that incorrect? I wish I had kept records on all the meds my pigs have been on. I thought Baytril was the AB I've typically gotten.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:13 pm

Bactrim is usually better-tolerated than Baytril, and is generally the "drug of choice" for urinary tract infections rather than Baytril.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:50 pm

Bactrim is much more effective than Baytril against anaerobic bacteria, which are usually implicated in UTIs. That's the real reason for preferring Bactrim over Baytril in that case.

daj

Post   » Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:39 pm

After one dose, would you recommend I now continue with it?