Why are my piggies getting sick?

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:53 pm

Sounds like you've got a good plan for the eye, and happily he's in good health. There's nothing like a healthy pig.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:56 pm

The eye is about the same today, which isn't a bad thing only one day out from treatment. As long as it doesn't get worse. The flushing and cleaning causes him more discomfort that the eye issue. He really gets mad and throws a fit in his cage every time I have to do the flush or wipe the drainage from his cheek in between the flushes. When I say throw a fit, that's exactly what I mean. He does the squeak of irritation and shoves his hut all over his cage. When he's done with that, he goes in it and glares at me. I use carrots or grass treats to earn his forgiveness. It really is very cute. He's quite the character. I wonder if the whole fit throwing is his way of getting treats. Guinea pigs are smart.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:34 pm

So smart and so endearing!

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:54 am

Ha, ha! Sounds like quite a pig.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:46 pm

Mr Bubbles eye is still getting a little bit of crusties, but nothing like it was. The fluid runs completely out of the eye now and dries on his cheek rather than gathering in the corner of his eye so I'm able to clean it with a soft paper soaked in saline. He still doesn't like it, but it's better than drops into his eye.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:27 am

Mr Bubbles eye was cleared up, but it's back to getting crusties again. I'm still flushing it out and keeping it clean. I hope this isn't going to be the norm for him from here on out. He's still otherwise healthy and other than when he goes into his hut to pout after treatment, he's still pretty lively and active. I think I'm going to call the vet to see if they recommend a steroidal eye drop to help reduce the little bit of swelling he's developed in his third eyelid.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:16 am

Thanks for the update. Hoping your idea of a steroidal eye drop helps.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:17 am

The thing is that other than the boogey eye, he's otherwise doing great. No loss of appetite, no weight loss, no decline in activity. If you didn't notice the eye, you wouldn't even know anything is wrong with him. He has all of the vital signs of a young and strong piggie. At his age, even the smallest thing can escalate quickly, so I am keeping that eye clean as much as I can.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sun Jan 16, 2022 4:55 pm

I'm having something similar going on with my Jethro. I have been flushing it and monitoring it, and it seems a little better. Let us know what your vet says about drops.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:36 pm

It would be nice if they have something to help Mr. Bubbles and Jethro with their eye issues. I don’t know about your part of the country, but here the air is so dry that just makes it more uncomfortable.

Renonvsparky

Post   » Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:40 am

Nothing dry about Missouri. I cleaned and flushed Mr Bubbles eye last night. It wasn't a lot. There was next to nothing in his eye today. Just a couple of very small crusties on his cheek. The vet never got back to me. I assume it was because the exotic vet doesn't work weekends. They're closed for the holiday on Monday. I'll have to wait until Tuesday to find out about the drops.

In the meantime, he's still going strong in every other way. He's been moving his hut around more than usual. I think it's because his neighbors, Gilligan and Skipper have been arguing over the hammocks more since I changed them out for clean ones. They don't fight or try to hurt each other. They just get very vocal towards each other. It usually ends with Skipper yielding because Gilligan squeaks louder than he does. Guinea pigs sure are so touchy.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:08 am

Guinea pigs can actually get conjunctivitis though I don't think it is particularly common. And eye problems can be viral.

Whatever it is, hoping it improves.