Sudden thirst increase, urine scald, high calcium, diet

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:42 am

I think mineral oil is more efficient.

Ingesting a small amount of mineral oil should not be a problem. We humans are even sometimes given it orally.

daj

Post   » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:55 pm

Is this something that should be checked on all of them periodically?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:45 pm

If you read the link Sef posted, you would see that regularly checking "guys" is a good idea. I would say at least weekly (during their weekly health check) and more frequently if they are prone to impaction.
https://www.guinealynx.info/impaction.html

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:13 pm

I've always used mineral oil. You don't need a lot; a very small amount will get the job done. Personally, I'd be leary of using coconut oil or any vegetable-based oil that can go rancid. I don't know if it's a valid concern or not, but the thought of leaving a residue inside the anal sac that could go "bad" makes me a little uneasy.

daj

Post   » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:13 pm

I cleaned a few fine pieces of hay out out Henry's sack, but he is still going down there. I haven't been able to get a read on whether it seems like an itch or something more. I didn't check his penis because I wasn't clear on how to do it. I will try it now. They are all still itching though. I stopped the Revolution after 3 treatments, even though I have a 4th dose. I didn't check with the vet, as I assumed it can't be mites after 3 doses, with no change in the itching, and I was/am feeling totally discouraged on this. It's been about 14 days now since the last dose. Did I make the wrong decision? Should I have given a 4th dose?

3 vets have now seen them for itching, and I've made every environmental change I can think of. The last vet we saw was by far the most thorough. He thought he identified a piece of a dead mite. It was far from conclusive though, to my untrained eye. If I take one in again, I assume he will want to do another scraping. None of them have any lesions or visible skin issues. The other two don't groan like Henry when they scratch/bite, but all 3 spin their heads to flap their ears and scratch a lot.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:45 pm

Since mites are microscopic and all but totally invisible to the naked eye, I doubt seriously that 1) he identified a "piece of a dead mite" and 2) that he knows what he's doing at all.

daj

Post   » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:02 pm

I did numerous slides, looked at under a microscope.

daj

Post   » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:02 pm

I meant to say 'he'. He did numerous slides.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:10 pm

It's baffling. I can't imagine that they have mites, after all of those treatments. Did you ever talk with your vet about those Douxo Chlorhex products?

daj

Post   » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:52 pm

I haven't spoke to him in several weeks now. I was just looking at those products last night, and my concern would be with ingestion. Another thing is that I used a chlorhexidine shampoo that didn't help. I'm about ready to pull my hair out, it's so frustrating. I guess I will call the vet tomorrow. I probably need to take one in for diarrhea anyway.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:01 am

I wouldn't expect a chlorhexidine shampoo to work. But have you tried an antifungal shampoo?

daj

Post   » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:23 am

I suppose I have. It was actually both, called Miconahex. It has Miconazole and Chlorhexidine. I will post on the diarrhea on Melvin's thread since he is the one with that issue.