Sudden thirst increase, urine scald, high calcium, diet

daj

Post   » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:05 pm

I decided to give Revolution another try. I'm too fearful of injections. 12 doses (3 pigs) was nearly $200.

Has anyone ever heard of using children’s Benadryl used orally, for itchy pigs?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:30 pm

If you do a directed search of the emergency and medical forum using the word "Benadryl", you will come up with various times it has been used on guinea pigs, sometimes by veterinarians. I don't have any definitive advice for you.

daj

Post   » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:57 pm

I don't see anything there that gives me hesitation on the children's Benadryl, so I I've been using a small amount on Henry, who's the most affected. I am just tired of watching him suffer. I don't like that it has saccharin in it though. At first I thought it worked like magic to stop the itching, now I'm not so sure how much relief it provides.

Meanwhile I received the antibiotic, and I'm still awaiting the Revolution. The vet prescribed the Baytril based on bacteria that was seen on the slide he pressed to the area where the skin was scraped. He said this indicated a secondary infection, probably due to the suspected mites. Now I'm hesitant to use it though, because I'm not sure what symptom it is supposed to address. The Revolution will hopefully take care of the mites/itching, and when the mites are no longer an issue, I would hope any secondary infection would resolve without the need for an AB. Am I wrong to hesitate on the AB? Or, should I get him on it ASAP?

Just to recap, it's an itching problem that's been going on and on and on. Two doses of Revolution didn't work, but the other vet wanted to stop bcs she didn't detect mites. Then I tried Ivermectin at home for 3 doses. No luck. This new vet found what appeared to be a partial dead mite or some sort of body with limbs. He wanted to do subcutaneous Ivermectin, but I chickened out and opted for another try with Revolution, using more doses and perhaps more time in between. I am just wondering about the need for the antibiotic now.... Anyone have an opinion? Thx!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:06 pm

Is this still pretty much what it looks like? I have mixed feelings on the antibiotic but if it is truly infected, an antibiotic might help.

daj

Post   » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:49 pm

Not at all like that now. That cleared up. It was clear for just a bit, then it started to build up again. I don't know if the Benadryl had any effect, but it seems halted where it is, just a bit of it. It was also never as bad as it looks in that photo, as I adjusted it and made it too red. There was really not much redness to it. I was trying to compensate for lack of focus.

But basically, that condition has been coming and going in cycles on all three. I guess I will check with the vet on my concerns regarding the antibiotic. I would strongly prefer to avoid it. I wish I questioned it at the time. It cost me $62.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:56 pm

I'd be reluctant to do it, too. That said...if it's not parasitic and it's not fungal, that logically leaves bacterial as a possibility. I usually don't like to use antibiotics without a clear indication of infection, but you have already tried so many things. Maybe worth a shot? Definitely would want to use a probiotic with it.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:04 am

Has the vet ever recommended Duoxo skin products? We had a dog with skin allergies and seborrheic dermatitis. Her skin was red, itchy, and had oily bumps that would peal. Our vet recommended Duoxo shampoo and it worked wonders. I had to use it every few days at first and as the skin regenerated it became healthy. Duoxo makes products for cats that might be gentle enough for guinea pigs.

daj

Post   » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:56 pm

No, we haven't talked shampoos, but I have used one called Miconahex. I will look into it though. Thx!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:22 am

It looks like something worth asking your vet about. From the manufacturer:
DOUXO® Chlorhexidine Pads are for the management of skin infections responsive to chlorhexidine. This formula contains antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory agents as well as moisturizers to help restore the skin barrier to health.
It comes in a shampoo:

And also a mousse:

There are also wipes:

I'm not sure how the three formulas differ; haven't had a chance yet to look at the ingredients. All three have very positive reviews. So far, I haven't been able to find anything specific to its use in rabbits or guinea pigs, but we know chlorhex to be very effective for treating various bacterial issues. I'd be interested to hear what your vet has to say.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:10 am

Our dog got so much relief from this shampoo she couldn’t wait to get in the tub. Sometimes she would jump in the tub and just stare at the shower wagging her tail.

daj

Post   » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:58 am

The shampoo I have used was Miconahex. It's miconazole and chlorhexidine. I will pick this one up, but in the meantime, we are already into the current treatment. They've all gotten their first dose of Revolution, and Henry is on Baytril twice a day for a skin infection. Children's Benadryl was giving relief before the other two meds, but now that I've given the antibiotic and the Revolution, I've held off on the Benadryl. I'm tempted to still use it, but I don't know if it's safe in combination with the other two. He's still itching, and the vet was supposed to get back to me today, but they didn't, so I can't get an answer until Monday. Does anyone have an opinion on whether I should hold off on the Benadryl until I hear from the vet? Do you think it's safe in combination with Revolution and Bayril? Should I not risk it?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:33 am

I am pretty sure Revolution, Baytril, and Benadryl can all be used at the same time. You can certainly confirm with your vet tomorrow (let us know what he/she says).