Unsure of what happened to my pig

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:04 am

I hope you can get this figured out. Glad the exotic vet treated you well.

Lisa12

Post   » Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:42 pm

Thank you, ItsaZoo!!

We re upset i have to write on medical topic again..

We had some wierd looking urine again in the morning..i felt so sick, let me tell you..but as Johnny Thunders sung We re gonna live, till we die..and they just go rocknroll..
I quickly collected when Irie was on morning run(on the floor of our room).
Than the mess started. We went to dog clinic...our vet was too bussy with some dog business..and as he said i am gonna help no problem, i just tought, damn you really..but anyway..some young girl vet checked urine(1 waiited an hour and she said oh its so much blood, little bit baccteria and PH is abnormal-and i had to tell her its, not for pigs, ah..). But i was upset a lot..we were supposedto finnish MArbocyl at friday..its seems it cant finnish the whole thing off.
I was totally unfocused at work, than..and on top of that i was late, cause i was waiting on results for so long.
We applied to new exotic vet(he s like 40+something, not that young, i think), so yeah..for ultrasound..cause of IRies age and all that i didnt wanna made big deal out of whole thing. He s happy andthats all that matters, beside we had to avoid all dogs in this clinic, but i have some practice thanks to my dear Ringo and Bob(they told others themself to keep distance:)).
So..would you please remove your terrier from sniffing the cage..bad bad terrier and i just stood up..sorry..little dog owners who doesnt know nothing about dogs behaviour..our is the cutest oh welll...but he is hound dog not some cute -i aint gonna do nothing to anyone-toy dog..so..

However ultrasound was little inconclusive. Vet said we didnt need asistant cause asistant i was..Irie was calm and waited...he only showed me how he needs to stay.
-No big mass was found..there was found something a litte off in bladders wall, but when he kept on looking andlooking he didnt find it anymore(so he cant confirm 100% if it was just different projection.
-he checked mainly*prostate*-nothing wrong and uretra(?, sorry my english)and bladder..he didnt mentioned nothing wrong with kidneys.
-little stone was found, but i do not know what kind of (i cant write it all in english sorry, i do not think its typical calicum carbonate stone), however,..
buti saw it..and its really little..much more little than one i saw on photos and on forum. hope we will urinate it out!

All in all i know its hard to see all in one ultrasound..soem animals went like 3 times and they didnt find thing wrong than they did..so..i wasnt too happy about doing it..
The vet was checking long time, he did his best, really..Irie wasnt stressed at all..he was allowed to leave with me.. We try to keep away from cat dog bacterias asmuch as we could!!! I cleaned him after we came home with water.
For good luck we brought by our little fc liverpool flag, rasta flag, my legendary Patrick Kluivert T shirt i scored most of my goals with, i gave to Irie
Results were half good. We re now at home eating and drinking:).

Irie get reglan and bactrim..but we will ask you for checking on dossage and if we got correct stuff in following days..i am so tired now..and have to work tomorrow.. and if we wait few days of no AB we can only benefit i think.

Lisa12

Post   » Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:45 pm

On urine analysis at this vet leukocites were found, and some other stuff but no blood(eritrocites)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:30 pm

It's a little hard to follow everything you have posted, but it sounds like he has a small stone (the composition would need to be tested in order to know what kind), and he was given Reglan for motility and Bactrim I assume for blood and bacteria in the urine (what was the pH?). If you'll post the strength of both drugs (mg/ml) and his weight, we can help confirm that the dose is the correct amount.

Glad he did well and is eating and drinking.

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:49 pm

Sorry, i will write shorter and just important fact next time.

Ph was nine, but the vet that was suprised was vet who just checked his urine on dog clinic.

Irie s weight is 800-850g (daily depends on how much he ate).
Dossage are made for weight 800g

Reglan: 0, 35ml /12h(i dont know concentration), but i assume its correct since he got 0,4 ml 5 years ago(not at the same vet.
From what i found Reglan is the same as for dogs and cats and guinea pigs. Because with some medication i know pigs have to take dog medication not cats. I am a little bit concerned. Anybody know my information is currect that is the same medication for all animals?

Bactrim-we say Primotren(trimetoprim/sulfametoksazol) is 192mg/ml, dossage 0,08ml/12h. VEt prepared solution himself and he wrote that on bag.
Does that sound correct?

He desolved pill in the water or something. but i dont even know at how many water was added to a pill, we can repack or recheck how many mls have entire solution.

I am in the dark cause with our previous vet it was quite different calculation..Hm...also..different concentration, cause disolved pill at previous vet was 480mg/ml. We needto figure that out before we take it.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:48 pm

This page may help you. Note that it uses a period, not a comma to denote a fraction of a whole. I.e. 0.4 ml not 0,4 ml
https://www.guinealynx.info/calculate_dose.html

The 480mg/ml is 10 times the standard concentration for the trimethoprim sulfamethoxizole. Take a close look to see if it is instead 480 mg/5ml (which is still different from the standard concentration. One must equalize the mg to one ml (i.e. divide the mg by the number of ml if it is more than one).
https://www.guinealynx.info/antibiotics.html#bactrim

I don't know how to interpret the reglan.

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:28 pm

Sorry i made a mistake. At previous vets one tablet contained 480mg of (trimetoprim/sulfametoksazol). And you disolved this tablet in water in i think 8,0 ml and so on..and the dossage got 0,2ml i think..

This vet wrote 192mg/ml and dosage 0,08ml/12h..so i am clueless if this is correct dossage and also how did he got this kind of concentration if we only have tablets with 120,480 or 205 mg of (trimetoprim/sulfametoksazol) are available. ITs just not logical.
Cause as far as i understand it doesnt even matter how much tablets he disolved concentration of trimetoprim/sulfametoksazol should still be the same.
I will check how many mls of mixture of tablet and water is in the little bottle, but i do not know if this can help.

I dont know what we will do, now..i tought of trying this but for 14 days only. If its clear the infection alright if not i dont know,he doesnt tolerate this well and he was already on marbocyl for nearly 5weeks, buthe improved after 3 weeks additional 14 days did nothing.

Thanks for the link and reply. I ll try to figure something out till weekend. :)

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:02 pm

The veterinary formula of Reglan is the same for cat/dogs and off-label for guinea pigs and other animals, so that should be fine. I don't have any way to know if the dose is correct, as we would need to know the milligrams per mil.

On the Bactrim, the recommended dosage is 15-30 mg/kg. I took a middle dose of 20 mg/kg, and calculated as follows:

20 mg/kg multiplied by his weight of .85 = 17 milligrams. If you take 17 milligrams and divide by the strength of Bactrim that you were given (192 mg/ml) to end up with the cc's, I end up with a dose of 0.8854. So yes, based on all of this information, the Bactrim dose looks to be correct.

Lisa12

Post   » Thu Jul 14, 2022 1:28 am

Sef, thank you so very much for this!!

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:41 am

Ugh! I hope you caught that I miss-typed the decimal point. It is 0.08cc, same as what your vet came up with.

Lisa12

Post   » Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:49 am

I did, yeah:). We will take 0,08, of course!

Lisa12

Post   » Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:25 pm

Have some not very good update, i aded new informations to older summary:
SUMMARY OF IRIE S URINARY TROUBLES.(HE hasnt got any history with urinary problems so first time)
10.6 i noticed strong smelling and bloody(fresh red blood a lot of it urine) we went to vet where they did x-rays(all was good), urine analysis(in sediment there were a lottt of bacteria, they say really a lot, blood and cryistals). They prescribed Marbocyl for 3 weeks. Also they said sticks are not as accurate with pigs!
17.6., 28.6, 1.7 i collected Irie s urine with so called floor catch and collected it with sterile syringe in sterile cup.
12.7 ultrasound: small stone was found
2.8. urine check at dog clinic(we were at exotic vet on thursday previous week, but Iries bladder was empty, so he couldnt take sample)-we collected at home and i brought it to vet: erytrocites:little bit, leukocites:little bit baccterias: there are quite a bit of it again.

And our questions are:
I will ask some exotic or dog vet to do urine bacterial culture-anyone knows how its done, do they just collect urine sample with out anasthesia or anything?
Is it sterile enough if i bring to vet sample(flor catch, puting in the syringe and sterile cup), i am concerned if we can by our own collect good enough sample without Irie having to stay at vets?

So, bactrim didnt help at all, Marbocyl helped 75%, which is wierd, but through the years i ve learned pigs can hardly get rid of any sort of infections. which is shame, but we hit back, we always hit back when things are hitting us.
Irie is happy lively, weight is stable( his urine is sometimes not normal i know just by looking at it)and we hope we will celebrate 7 in october..

P.S.: we still have enough of MArbocyl left, and on friday he will be one week of AB.