Unsure of what happened to my pig

Lisa12

Post   » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:15 am

Thanks for the good wishes!

I think its because of the bordetella infections..symptomsare just more visible sometimes,... We already have Gentamicyn at home, thats why we dont have to go to vets. We have 3-4choices for exotic vets, yes(including one who operated him,far away, but really good). He is very lively. Of all my pigs i said for Irie cause he is so hyper active, when he wont be good, that would be very clear.

Sorry, Lynx I meant Saline solution inhalations..(0,9%NaCl?).

Lisa12

Post   » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:16 am

*bordetella bronhiseptica infection

Lisa12

Post   » Sun May 30, 2021 7:15 am

Hello!
He stop sneezing than and we were really happy...

We have another i hope just little problem...
About month and half ago.. he developed spot without hair on his back...Heis very long haired, so..you dont see it if you dont remove the hair.

At first to me it looked like he kind of sat in his own urine or poppings..so i tried to wash the hair(fur) and was hoping hair will grow back..well, it didnt ..how long does it take for hair to grow back? I tought its four weeks...

If anybody has any idea what that would be please comment..:)..we re planning on sending Lynx photo if it wontget any better but next week, cause my phone doesnt make quality photos and i need my sisters so..we will send photo in the future if thats alright...

We are also planning on visiting a vet if it wont go away, for me it doesnt look like when Ringo had demodexor something but it doesnt go worse and it doesnt go back to normal,... andmy cat Bob also had problems once with scabies(he was indoor and outside so he got it from other cat) i think its called (parazites)and it doesnt look like that, too..

Otherwise Iries s lively, moving normal, he runs around a lot, he doest loose weight and he doesnt look orbehave his age...Ringo was like that for a long time..if Irie is like him when he will reach he ll still look 2..but we will see...He s turning six in october..so..hope we havesome more years together..

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 30, 2021 8:50 am

Is the hair loss located where the grease gland would be? Is the skin nice and healthy looking? I would mainly be concerned if you see scratching or pulling hair out or if there is an obvious skin problem. If you have guinea pigs that have had mites, preventive treatment might be a good idea.

Lisa12

Post   » Sun May 30, 2021 1:55 pm

Thanks, Lynx so much, yes! I quickly googled grease gland(i didnt know what this is and this was first link):
https://www.guinealynx.info/grooming.html
:)I will read everything... it lookes like the first photo..

So we can clean it with Extra Virgin Cold Pressed Coconut Oil and the hair will grow back? How many times per day?
I ll get photos quickly..cause it looks a bit irritatted..does he need oral AB if its infected?

Currently we have only two pets: Irie the pig and Ziggy the cat.
I dont have any other pigs-i had Lee, Gallimore and Kluivertka-sadly they arent here anymore.:(

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun May 30, 2021 4:54 pm

Yes, it does look like the grease gland. Nothing to worry about! I think there may always be missing hair. Keeping it clean with the cold pressed coconut oil will keep it healthier.

Lisa12

Post   » Mon May 31, 2021 2:19 am

Thanks! Wish i had your knowledge ..#respect
We already ordered coconut oil..:)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon May 31, 2021 7:29 am

I am getting older and more forgetful! An observant owner goes a long way with basic knowledge and an awareness of what is normal for their guinea pig, along with a good vet!

I think the hair will always be wonky in that area.

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:46 pm

IRie actually really likes grease gland cleaning with coconut oil so its cool:).

However, i have some really wierd question so please excuse me...:).

I have grandpa that i visit today with my sister and he had sepsa last year(he is 80)y.o., fighting bladder cancer for 15 years-god bless him. After surgery last year he had sepsa due e.colli. He was given 20% of surivival..but he made it, however, he still has to be on ABs all the time..he was even able to walk on his own..now, he is worse again..he was in hospital for a week now he is again in homecare by my mother and her sisters..and they are really taking care for him..
He is also infected with VRE baccteria-its skin infection...
And my question is.. (as i said i am sorry,my sister thinks i am way over complicating, but irie is also infected for life with bordetella, despite bein in brilliant conditions, and my other pig Galli had two infections,soi ve had it with baccterias for life, let me tell you).

My grandma gave me some salad for IRie..but before she was checking my granpas temperature and she didnt touch him but she didnt wash her hands..

And i dont know..its really nice green leafy salad-iries favourite..but i think i ll throw it away, or we re gonna eatit..cause even if i wash it for hour VRE can survive..what do you say?Lynx, or anyboy, please:)?Advice..

I cant ask my family cause they would say i am crazy with worrying about Irie :)

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:49 pm

My mum only said all is disinfected..but i dont know how many time per day they do that..

Lisa12

Post   » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:03 pm

We have already solved the problem..Irie wont get this salad and my dad got him another from our local famer-vegetable dealer..:)

And my grandpa was negative on VRE last time in hospital, but this stuff its very resistant and tough to destroy..hope h ewill feel better soon.

And with Irie i risk nothing. Nothing.:)!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:05 pm

Sorry I was not available to answer your question but I think another salad was indeed the better choice, if you are playing it safe.

Sorry your grandpa is ill.