Unsure of what happened to my pig

Post Reply

Post   » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:55 pm

No, Lynx if i ve learned anything from you its to be extreamly careful with pigs.

I tried everything, but as I said comunications does go two ways. And if vet cant tell me if he Will operate somebody in noon or morning(and in the afternoon they dont have anybody to even look for animals..some students do check, but they re alone 23.00 p.m. to 7.00a.m.)-I was willing cause he is obviously very skilled to let go of everything, but I cant put somebody in danger just for the sake of it. And that animals are alone so long it is irresposible for me-maybe dogs and cats can be, but no I wouldnt let Ringo alone at vets, just no. If pig wouldnt have such a problems i wouldnt say a thing and i politely explained he had severe bloating episodes and he would die without forcfeeding, benebac and skilled vet who helped us.

I didnt rule out surgery..here schools and everything are closing cause of coronavirus, people are in shock and panic nobody died yet but we have 100people affected-here are 2M only in Slovenia.., so i think we ll have wait a little bit.
But I ll try find someone else, yes. Whos experienced, kind to pigs, skilled and willing to give them away on the same day.

Even if me and Irie are wild, we are also greateful to vets and everybody who was willing to help. We have nothing against anybody and I respect someones knowledge.

We Will let you know if we ll have something new to write..even if in two months.

I dont belive we can leave it if it Will keep on growing-certainly not. I am sure we ll find some good option anyway, it seems it was just not meant to be there-even when the this brilliant vet left them ..i knew that would be trouble..didnt expect it so much, sadly.

If vet wanted he knows us well enough he could have said he can operate Irie in the morning...easily. But if he doesnt care..i am not even sad,
we re not, we re staying positive. You cant force people to help you.

We Will keep you posted when the news are coming!


Post   » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:31 am

Little news from us..

We re meeting new vet in the begining of May,if it all goes well. He is like half an hour away from us and experienced with exotics!
I dont know what kind of medicine and anesthesia he uses yet-we llfind out, but he has some really positive references and reviews.
We ll need little help from above to sort it all out. ..

We had no plans in changing vet, cause we were really happy with vet Irie had he was everything-skilled, kind to pigs, focused, calm, experienced, but he left the clinic he worked at and he still doesnt have any contact..so he also left us, too in the cold or in the dark or how do you say, haha:).

We were kind of upset and angry-Irie is always jumping in the air and his hair are flying everywhere when he is completely pissed off and i do it too-so it looks so cool, but we have to move on, now and choose availible option. Right.Even with this on going-growing skin formation.

We reover half of this covid-19 epidemic and schools and ordinary stores(with clothes etc. are still closed), but we re in mountain country side and its much much easier for us as for people in the city. We wish you all the best.

I hope more news Will come. Irie is fat with nose discharge, but otherwise lively and happy. Ringo is stable which is brilliant. And Ziggy is Young and naughty-our kittEn.

As John Lennon said Power To the People. And animals if i can add. <3

"Lift up yourselves, men, take yourselves out of the mire and hitch your hopes
to the very stars themselves. Let no man pull you down, let no man destroy your ambition,
because man is but your companion, your equal" - Marcus Garvey


Post   » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:37 am

I mean he aint really fat he is 900g, but fat enough for pig to look the way he should;)!

User avatar

Post   » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:04 pm

By the way, did you find out what clinic the vet you liked moved to?


Post   » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:27 pm

No, Lynx, I did not. Sadly.

But I ve been searching all over and the only information you can find on Google is he registered as sole proprietor vet, but he only has adress and doesnt have even contact number ormail-i had his mail from previous job, only. In fact I was so disapointed as i couldnt sort it out with this other vet who still Works there that my sister called informations and they have all existing phone numbers there, but not his.

i dont know what he is doing if he is something if i knew he Will i would have waited, but we re waiting for 7months already(he sent me back mail on september when he was still at previous clinic, he is registered on his own for Quite some time) MY sister said wait, but what if he doesnt open he cant help us... and how can i know he will. And formation is 1cm long now..

I Will check out and visit the other with Irie(new one) and wrote to you what he Will say about anesthesia, ok, so i hope you Will tell me if all its okay there…:) And if he can return pig on same day, its ok, cause he already operated skin tumors on belly sucessfully, so..that would be great, too.

Everything that i have to go through with my pigs and now, this with vets..eh:).


Post   » Thu May 28, 2020 11:34 pm

We ll have little update till middle June..

This time we try to do everything the way it should be:).

Lynx and others so you have all operated pigs in dogs clinic with speclialist for exotics, right?:).
And you all got pigs back on the same day?

That we wont complicate over something normal...cause with this formation it was so many things *itsnotmeanttobe*, that we re just filling positive attitude, vibes into the fact that we finally sort out this. (However it is 1,2x0,6 now and the beggining was 0,45x0,25 so we re unhappy towards it).

User avatar
Supporter in 2020

Post   » Fri May 29, 2020 12:26 am

I hope everyone there is okay. Did you have a chance to see the new vet the beginning of May?


Post   » Fri May 29, 2020 12:40 am

Thank you..not yet..but now we no longer have epidemic, so..now, its possible.:) Hoperfully next week.

To be honest I try to ask his old vet (the other one)one more time, but some assistant were so rude.. i wont even..it doesnt matter, cause I dont care, I didnt even expect nothing. Its kind of interesting assistant can even speak in doctors name and doesnt give a new date and said that it doesnt matter if pig had so many problems as we have, thats pro, of course. I am stunned. :). But I do not wish bad on people, just get out of my way, than.
And I know who was willing to help and who declined and Irie is still alive cause the one vet who helped us was also present that now is not.

But, anyway..positive vibrations and hope we can get new operation date with new vet around 10.6! Thats the plan..

User avatar
Supporter in 2020

Post   » Fri May 29, 2020 12:53 am

Good luck and I hope it works out with a new vet that will help you.


Post   » Fri May 29, 2020 2:08 am

Thank you so much we appriciate it!

And I even rescheduled my two school exams, i have only two left and diploma and i planned to finnish till the end of June, but due to vets complication and corona closing I seem to have one on 1.7 and one in autm. Irie is more important. We ll do our best, we promise:)!

User avatar
I dissent.

Post   » Fri May 29, 2020 6:54 am

Fingers crossed that all goes well.


Post   » Fri May 29, 2020 7:06 am

Thanks, Sef as always:)!!!

And let me tell you if we make it through 2020 i am gonna do guinea lynx donation in the USA in the begining of 2021, cause Irie is turning 5 in october if he Will come to that.

I never do that, but you were always by our side, even when things didnt go well and I said also with Ringos gazillion of problems its been everything but easy for me..even now its not..but I Will update if we get a operation date next week. This is all we are about, anyway, and you cant break that no vet assistant or vet or disease or anything..:


Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:02 pm

Sorry, this will be a long post. I ll try keep it clear and not too long.I tough I ll never bother you with my problems, again..hope you can help us out.

Ringo broke on through to the other side in June.. He lived such a long-happy-go-lucky as was his pedigree name, cool life, with so many dog friends, walking in the woods, playing football, doing agility having fun..he was soo remarkable. Such a legend..they all called him legend.. even at vets. He was so inteligent and such a strong character-much stronger than me. No didnt exist for him even till his last day. that was so amazing.
And he went naturally.. he didnt show signs of ilness or infection, but he was getting older and older.. it caught me by suprise that he went, but he didnt suffer-he always got proper medication.. he ate by injection on lastday..he loves food..even before he went he went with food in his mouth..like pigs who just go away quickly..and i was with him as i was all the time.. more than half of my life. He got the most out of his life..and he walked on his own till his last day. I am so grateful that things worked out for him as they did, but it broke..me..i just couldnt. I still cant.

I got job at the store after that-before i only worked at home all thoose years to take care for Ringo..and he needed asistence as he was older..but he was still so happy with will power that was bigger than is life itself. We all knew that.

With Irie.. I couldnt do nothing-i just needed a break..he s happy and here..

And than this formation kept on growing and growing..it was quite large.
We found good surgeon 2h away. She removed it..we didnt put it on any analysis. But she did good job, she removed it completely..we are greateful.
I got Irie back on the same day.. HE was happy and runing around at noon already.

However.. thats main reason we are writing this. We checked urine before operation..i had this urine test for Ringo who has problems also with
urine infections..so we checked it at home and called vet if results werent right.
Irie s urine was alright except leucocytes were high.. before operation..he got marbofloxacin after skin formation operation,..but now he has even
more leucocytes in urine..he s very lively..i couldnt get a hold of this vet who operated him..and she was sort of like its not that much of a problem if he is lively.
But for me its wierd and this scene with exotic animals here is wierd..or i cant handle it, but its wierd as people dont give that much for pigs anyway..its sad. For me it is. So much I ll get out of it. 100%. I would just like take care for Irie properly.

And as Ringo was and will always be my best friend i dont plan on having animals at all anymore.

I am planing on going to Ringo s vet and Ziggys current and ask her if she can check urine.. and do urine analysis as is for dogs so you have actually
written on paper.

Maybe i can ask her for TMS (Bactrim)as is the same as for people and dogs, right?
Even tough she doesnt know for Ringo and its so hard for me that i ll have to tell all that, but I dont have much choice.

What would you do? My sister said I wouldnt do anything on my own, but we cant just left it.. We ll do test on Moneday again than if results will be off, i ll go to our forever brilliant dog/cats vets..

Any advice on urine situation greatly appriciated.
Irie handles very poorely any AB except MArbocyl..but it didnt seem to help with urine situation, sadly

User avatar

Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:31 pm

Is there an odor to the urine? Was bacteria found in the urine?


Post   » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:57 pm

We only test this at it home. There isnt any special odor to the urine or blood or whatever.

Bacteria found? Like culture? No. we havent tested that. Only leucocytes are high. We can send you urine stick photo on moneday, when we will repeat the test.

We ll figure something out till next week. We have, too. Thank you for reply.


Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:14 am

Eh, I tried to remember dossages you know..
I think vet said(but it seems i cant remember correctly).
If you disolve tablet that contains


Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:27 am

If you disolve tablet that contain sulfamethoxazole trimethoprim(we have white tablets) 400 mg 80mg(480) in water. 8ml
You have 480g of whole thing in 8ml liquid right?

Irie has 800g, bit more, now..
The dossage was 0,2 ml on 12h
So with that formula that is not correct cause it would contain 12mg of sulfamethoxazole trimethoprim on 12h which is not correct?
If anybody is good with this..
I tought i remember correctly but i seems i dont.

User avatar
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:10 am

Sorry for your lost of Ringo! Sounds like you went through the wars and made it through. So glad you were with Ringo at the end. RIP little man forever young and popcorn in paradise. You have earned it! Sending hugs to you and Irie.

Jessie had Bactrim tablets and she would get quarter of tablet twice a day. Not sure on strength of medication. Now current vet has Bactrim in pink liquid full of sugar and smells like strawberry. Pigs would get 0.1ml twice a day. Hoping Irie gets better soon!

User avatar

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:17 am

Oral Dosage: 30 mg/kg q12h (i.e. 30mg/kg is given every 12 hours, for a total of 60 mg/kg in 24 hours)

Bactrim is a commonly used human and veterinary antibiotic and generally comes in a standard suspension. Each 5.0 ml of this pediatric oral suspension (one of the drugs sometimes referred to as "the pink stuff") contains 200mg sulfamethoxazole and 40mg trimethoprim/5ml for a total of 240mg active ingredients/5ml or 48mg/cc. A dose of 0.625 cc would provide 30mg bactrim for a pig of one kilo (2.2 pounds).

You wrote "400 mg 80mg(480) in water. 8ml" This is a suspension of 480mg/8ml or 60mg/ml (a higher concentration than the standard pediatric solution). At a weight of 0.8kg and dosage of 30mg/kg every 12 hours, this would mean each dose would be:
0.4 cc

Since this is a crushed pill, make sure it is crush really finely and shaken thoroughly so it is evenly distributed. A suspension in water should be refrigerated and I don't think stays good a really long time. Personally, I would make up a smaller amount and mix it fresh every day. If you can quarter the pills, you would mix each finely crushed quarter with 2cc of water, using the guidelines you were given.

User avatar
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:36 am

That is correct. Thanks, Lynx---I had just pulled out my calculator to try to figure it out for her. Agree on shaking it very aggressively each time to make sure the bits of crushed pill are thoroughly mixed and dissolved.

I'm so sorry about Ringo.

Post Reply
512 posts