Unsure of what happened to my pig

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:54 am

Hy, our dear friends, this is gonna be long post..

In the morning 8:00 a.m we got up and i notice urine and blood in the middle..quite a lot of it..with no previou signs at all.

I put Irie on the floor he was happily runing around..slight discomfort when urinating..and it came out orgage-red. I said..this cant be happening, but it clearly was. We did try with urine sticks twiceand it didnt show nothing!!(i was nervous, but still, it should, its the same sticks vet has..i dont get it but okay). I said still this is blood. I waited till he was urinating for second time on the floor clear.
We called the old clinic my pigs went to, most of the time..young vet answered the phone..one of the new vets. We got in in 2hours and we are grateful.My mum drove us, luckily, i was just beyond exausted and worked whole day yesterday, two shifts.

He was immidiatly x-rayed for the stones or sludge-didnt saw nothing. (!). He was x-rayed for the stones for four time in his life, but never had blood in urine before.
HE stayed at vet for 1h alone..and than i picked him up..the vet said she found a lot of baccteriain urine(it was emergency, i amsorry we didnt get uriculture.).
He got marbofloxacin(that is baytril isnt it) ---for 14 days..vet said to call her in 10 days, but my previous doctor said to me urine infection should be cleared in 3-5 days(!). If not we will switch to bactrim(primotren) i have at home is that okay?

At home he was urinating clearly without blood. Vet suggested that he maybe passed the stone, but i didnt find any,but none of other three pigs had stones..so..i only know what i read on forum.

However, the vet was very disatisfied with front tooth, she noticed bruise in mouth. She suggested grinding(surgery with anasthesia). I suggested removal as dr Legendre wrote it will never solve the problem..cause of position of tooth. She said they dont recommended tooth removal in guinnea pigs as this is to heavy for that little animals(any have experience with succesfully done tooth removal?). MAybe they just dont do that in Slovenia as i said..i was sometimes dissapointed with state of exotic medicine here.

Other than that i ve been told numerous times from dog vet to think and not crash into problems. And you dont do surgeries just like that. Is not just surgery..what if animal or human comes in so weakned state from surgery and than you got surgery is sucesfull, patient died. I mean..hello...

So..first option for tooth removal is not an option anymore..we can ask our skin formation surgeon, if she can do it..and because she s brilliant and already operated irie we will visit her soon..hope we get better luck..

We are also grateful to young vet as she immidiatly took us in, she also suggested ultrasound if problems wont stop..and hope marbofloxacin will help. He also got meloxidyl(this is against pain, but he s not in pain now, so its not necessary?).
And we got buscopan(scopolamine butylbromide)... this is against pain too??? Anybody knows?
He aint showing pain..just slight discmfort.

And Irie is eating a lot..as my friend said once i was so beyond upset dealing with health care problems of my pigs and said i ll never have pig again..she said..you see but Irie aint guinea pig..he s border pig(as border collies are so unstoppable...)..so our border pig, get well soon).

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:23 am

Marbofloxacin is not Baytril but is apparently in the same class of fluoroquinolones. It looks like you have used it in the past:
https://www.guinealynx.info/forums/viewt ... n#p2311552

Buscopan is not a pain medication per se; it is typically used to treat GI spasms in people with IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), and I've seen it here a few times, used in guinea pigs to help with gas/bloat. I use it myself for my own IBS. I'm not sure why your vet would prescribe it in this case, though, so maybe you could ask the vet for clarification.

Lisa12

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:37 am

Yeah it didnt help with bordetella at all..we also got it as prevention for skin formation removal. If it wont clear urine infection, now..i would like to try bactrim as i said we already got it at home...

Thanks very much for your answer and informations..

I just gave him marbofloxacin, now..will only give meloxidyl if he will be in pain. I kind of dont feel the need of load him with all the medicines.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:04 pm

You said the urine was orange and did not test positive for blood? Could this have been porphirins?
https://www.guinealynx.info/normal.html#urine

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Jun 11, 2022 2:35 am

What i saw in cage it was bright red in the middle of yellow, clearly blood.

Than I put him on the floorto run around it was orange red and our urine sticks showed nothing(but i notice its out of date so i ve ordered new ones)

At vets when tested it showed a lot of blood, so it was and bacterias.

But since we come home yesterday his urine is clear by looking at it.

Thanks for the link and the answer.

Antibiotic dossage is the same as usual 0,1ml once a day.
We also ve got Meloxoral 1,5mg/ml(in description written that it contains1, 5meloxicam, for dogs). Dossage by this young vet who i saw for the first time 0,3 ml on 12 hours. I didnt give him any yet. Is that correct?
Is there any lighter regime like 0,1ml per day?

If anybody have time, help us out please:). I hope he will recover...i got concerned as vet mention we can do ultrasound that is not some cancer or something..well if its mostl likely infection i hope is not something else.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:03 am

Our Jinx was on dog Meloxicam and she weighed 970grams and dosage was 0.5mls every 24 hours. I broke this into 12 hourly doses so gave 0.2mls every 12 hours. She had surgery to remove uterus, ovaries and dissected bladder to remove tumour. The Meloxicam doses got her through pain wise after major surgery. Hoping all goes well!

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:26 am

Thank you very much..!! MAybe we will try 0.2 ml every 24h...

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:27 am

Or 0,3ml on 24 h..not on 12...that it wont be too little..

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:27 am

Have found Meloxicam doesn't dull the pain for 24 hours. Hence is why I divide dose rate and give 12 hours apart. If vet said 0.3mls every 24 hours I suggest 0.2mls twice a day. It has always worked for me. Maybe others can contribute when they wake up.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:28 am

It looks like the vet said 0.3mls every 12 hours, not every 24 hours.

You could certainly start with a lower dose, if you're concerned about it being too high. What is Irie's weight?

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:23 am

I re-checked(now, i am at home). Yeah, you are right...

Ok, thanks, we will..he is not quite lively as i wrote just discomfort when urinating he is not in pain in general.

He is small, fiesty, long haired and tinny..830g. I always wanted for him to be fatter, but he was never fatter than 900g in all his life.

And just for the record thanks so much we re grateful we can count on you, because for last 2 years and a half, we dont have regular vet, since the one who always helped us and had like 20years of experiences left, so it brings extra stress for me, Irie doesnt care..but i have to think, what is now like the best option(when we have a problem)...ah..

Lisa12

Post   » Sat Jun 11, 2022 9:25 am

I meant *he is quite lively, just a little discomfort when urinating, he is not in pain in general and he has sensitive belly so we will start lower dossages