Unsure of what happened to my pig

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:53 pm

I would discourage him from shaking the cage with his front teeth. As you say, it may very well have contributed or even caused the misalignment.

Some people put plexiglass in front of the wire to prevent tooth damage.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 11, 2022 9:35 am

Here's a new pic. By email, Lisa12 confirms her wondering what this is, is likely an injury (similar profile from earlier pics).

Lisa12

Post   » Wed May 11, 2022 2:19 pm

I was just afraid the other day that this thing is not infected, cause otherwise he would need antibiotic?..
I also notice, now..this is visable as well, on first photo..from March..just little bit less of it..

I would agree is cause of injury as i wrote., cause of bitting cage.and probably cause teeth position is not the right ..he is bitting on his skin in the side of themouth..or something..something similar must happened behind front tooth..

His weight droped slightly..and i notice he is sometimes making sounds with teeth when eating-he didnt before.

Due to his age(7 in october) i am in a bit of distress on what to do..we could visit vet for oppinion(and checking on teeth, but i am relucant toward surgeries, specially cause he is eating by himself. We are as well relucant about teeth x-rays, cause than we would rather just go for surgery if needed.

If anybody has other oppinion, experience with this things and how to handle it, all ideas appriciated.

He dosent need AB, now? I know for teeth there is azytromicin-cause i ve got it.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed May 11, 2022 5:47 pm

I can't really tell anything from the photo. Is there a way to brighten and sharpen it? Is the area red or swollen at all?

Lisa12

Post   » Thu May 12, 2022 1:41 pm

I sent Lynx, some clearer photos hope they are alright enough...

Sometimes its a little red ...swollen..i dont know if its swollen..it looks more like when you bite skin and than it sometimes becomes little bit of red and irritated.

I somehow decided to send photos to this clinic dr Legendre works https://petdentist.ca/about-us/(Sef, i got idea from you i read on the other tread:)),i found mail on their site hope its right one.or do you have another ? If theywill answer, great, if they wont, they wont..we cant visit, anyway.

And my sister confirmed Irie istoo skinny so we will do everything we can so he would gain weight in a week(i wont force fed him), cause i wanna know if he can eat all hay, pellets and vegetables by himself. If he will lose any more weight and wont gain we will visit his old vet for advice, otherwise we will keep on checking how it is in his mouth. HE is very lively otherwise. Still.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 12, 2022 8:48 pm

Here you go! They seem to be more clear.

p.s. often one vet will consult with another vet. I am unsure if Dr. Legendre might have time to respond to you but know he is a very good dentist.

Lisa12

Post   » Fri May 13, 2022 8:10 am

Thanks!
We already sent mail..and are hoping for an answer..

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Fri May 13, 2022 3:45 pm

You might have to call them. I believe I did an introductory call and maybe also a follow-up email in order to reach someone on his staff who was available and willing to work with me. I didn't just send images without asking first if someone could assist, as they have a very busy practice. Hopefully you'll hear back, though.

Lisa12

Post   » Fri May 13, 2022 3:54 pm

Thanks for infromations, Sef, we got the answer, already!

Dr Legendre did respond to us personally, we said that we heard from guinealynx that he is absolutly the best if he can please answer and he did...he is really kind and professional..its shame we cant visit him.

He said as I observed, that he thinks only this one tooth is the problem(he saw photos):
Guinea pig incisor continue to grow therefore if one tooth is displaced or misaligned, it will continue to grow in the wrong position. Recommendation is to extract that tooth.

We are a bit upset, cause it would require anesthesia, i guess. He didnt mention anything about age..so he probably doesnt see it as a problem.

I would just like to know if any of you knows why clipping the that one tooth is not recommended?

..cause our vet said once is not..but he didnt say why.. i know if they re fixing all the teeth they are grinding it, but aswe have only one tooth and first one problematic, i tought of some vet clipping it, too...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 13, 2022 10:11 pm

Glad you got an answer. You are fortunate he can draw on a great deal of knowledge and familiarity with guinea pig dental issues.

In the short term, I imagine clipping it should help keep it short enough to avoid causing problems. I trust it is clearly the sticking out skewed tooth that he recommended removal of.

A single good tooth, with the back and forth action of eating hay should be able to wear the incisors adequately.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Sat May 14, 2022 8:35 am

Your vet may have said that because clipping is riskier than cutting or grinding with a Dremel due to the fact that there is always a chance that the tooth will crack and split down to the gum line and become infected. Just looking at the angle of that tooth, I'm not even sure how your vet would really be able to clip it adequately. Remind me, how old is your guinea pig?

Glad you heard back!

Lisa12

Post   » Sat May 14, 2022 3:46 pm

Excuse me for a little tribute for Medo, dog, karst sheperd mix, 3 years old that we were one tinny step away from adoption and was euthanasied in killer Shelter, Trebnje, Slovenia. I am ashamed this is happening in 2022 cant belive it, still. So,yeah adopt...adopt before its too late.
Fly high, Medo...i wish to adopt you at the moment i saw you but i had too many problems myslef, so i was sorting everything outto help you and than the tragedy happened. You were already ours in our hearts and will always be..wonderful dog..i am sorry i didnt have enough money to sort out proper conditions for you sooner. Its one of my biggest regrets in life for sure.

Thanks very much for oppinions and very good explanations..!! i think i understand it all, now...

We only have two proper options at different clinics(both vets with 15-20years of experiences) for tooth removal..
At one point i even tought of cutting it myself, but with zero experience i dont think that would be good choice.

I will update when we will go to vet..what exactly they will say. I will told them what dr Legendre said.. of course...

Irie is 6,5 years young:)
He is not showing it, but he is as in dog world would say from working lines..he wants to run around no matter what... So, old age and symptoms are bit hidden..but i ve been looking for him and i even look when he is on the floor running if his back and legs are okay,..and it is.