Worst Guinea Pig carer in the world or the unluckiest?

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:32 pm

To me, the lower incisors look too long and the upper ones look too short.

Bookfan
For the Love of Pigs

Post   » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:08 pm

I'm not sure if anyone's linked to this or if it will help but:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC339280/

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:51 pm

It was good to look that over again! One of Pinta's guinea pigs is pictured on that page!

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:51 am

Is that link on the tooth page? If not, it oughtta be!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:13 pm

Yes, it's on the malocclusion page (been there a while). I thought it would be helpful too!

rjespicer

Post   » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:38 pm

Thought I should give you a quick update.

The Short story is Chunky is doing fine now and is eating on her own and maintaining her weight at around 1050g. About 100g less than she was when she first had issues but staying pretty consistent.

I had limited success with the sling I got from Pinta. I managed to get it on her a few times but she had usually managed to mess it up within a few hours by scratching at it and rubbing it against the hideys so it would slip over her eyes, even when I had made it as tight as her protesting would allow.

I eventually gave up syringe feeding her out of exasperation as she was fighting me the whole time and I was worried that it was the end for her and we would have to get her euthanized if she wasn’t eating. Her weight dropped to below 800g at one point.

However she is a fighter and kept grinding her teeth at me and would stubbornly worry at soft veggies for ages to eat it them. I also put a selection of different hays in as well which she had problems with at first but she eventually got to a point where she was able to eat hay, pellets and veggies with no problems.

I wonder if maybe part of the issue was that because I was trying to get so much Critical Care into her she was so full she wasn’t eating anything else.

Anyway she is doing fine now eating Hay, Pellets and Veggies and has been holding her weight steady on her own for 2-3 months now

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:20 pm

Thanks for the update. Very encouraged she is eating well. These guinea pigs can put us through the ringer!

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:42 pm

So good to hear Chunky has been doing well. Thanks for letting us know.