Daphne's Medical Thread

Zaphy

Post   » Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:27 am

She's eating great on her own now, actually! I'm still supplementing with Critical Care because she's still losing weight but demeanor and behavior-wise she's pretty much back to normal (but still showing signs of pain when she doesn't realize I'm there, though that's been the case for a while as well). For the salad last night she stood up and hung onto the top of the C&C cage they're in just like she always did, she'll just about climb out of the cage for treats. She and her sister are absolutely the most enthusiastic about that, they just go completely nuts about food every night.

Hydration- I've been seeing her at the water bottle but have also been syringing Pedialyte alongside the Critical Care (both of which she's taking enthusiastically now as well). She had subq fluids and a vitamin C shot at the vet on Monday but not since. B vitamins are an interesting idea, I should ask the vet about that.

X-ray- she had one done Monday as well to check for stones as she has a history of urine sludge/infection. No stones and vet said everything else looked normal as well. Bladder was empty at the time so they couldn't do a urinalysis.

Few months ago we did xray/blood panel/urinalysis and everything was clear then apart from some crystals and blood in the urine so we tried some antibiotics in case of UTI. Cleared up the urine that way but didn't clear up her general discomfort. Definitely possible/probable that we'd find something different with a blood panel now but with how she's looking... I'd probably opt for palliative care anyway. :/

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:56 pm

Encouraging! I'm glad you are so observant. And thorough!

Zaphy

Post   » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:55 pm

She... Might be stabilizing? She's stopped losing weight and actually gained a tiny bit back (~830g). Behaviorally she's still great. So I'm thinking maybe trying to wean her off the pain meds to a low dose of Meloxicam? Maybe it was just a random one-off episode? Well, except I keep forgetting that we know there's something wrong. But maybe it's just aging? What a confusing pig...

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:55 pm

Nice to hear she gained back a bit of weight. I am guessing the low dose of Meloxicam is somehow helping. If you do choose to taper it down, I'm sure you'll notice any negative changes.