Clover's Medical Thread

Zaphy

Post   » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:41 pm

Here are three words I never thought I'd be able to say in regards to a pig's surgery: Things went optimally! Better than optimally, in fact- once she was under the vet was able to manipulate the stone out of the urethra without even making an incision. She did great with the anesthesia and is recovering in the quarantine cage, where I plan to keep her at least overnight to make sure she's eating/drinking/eliminating well, and then she ought to be able to go back into the big cage :) might keep her in quarantine until she's done with the Metacam to make absolutely sure, but it's just a couple days' worth.

They're sending the stone to the University of Minnesota for analysis and we'll find out what kind of stone it is, which ought to be able to clue us in to what to do to prevent more stones in the future, if possible. This is literally the first time I've had a pig undergo a procedure and not have complications. Kinda had an anti-complication even, I guess! So good job, Clover. Now don't go finding a way to die from this anyway D:<

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:49 pm

Cautiously optimistic! Fingers crossed here for an equally uneventful recovery.

Most likely calcium carbonate -- most guinea pig stones are. Hopefully the folks at University of Minnesota will be able to accurately identify it as such. I seem to remember something in a veterinary article a few years ago about guinea pig stones sometimes being mis-identified as oxalate or struvite.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:41 pm

I wouldn't quarantine her. There's no infection, so nothing to protect anybody from. She'll be happier in her cage, and you won't run the risk of having to do reintroductions.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:28 pm

So glad you got a straight forward diagnosis! I hope she recovers quickly!

Zaphy

Post   » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:56 am

Eh, I disagree- I think it's worth keeping her separated and possibly having to go through introductions again in order to make sure everything's running smoothly. I've had a couple pigs not pick up eating/drinking well enough after anesthesia and end up needing to be hand fed for a little while to get them back on track. You bring up a good point though, I won't keep her separate longer than is necessary and will keep a close eye on things when I put her back with everyone else. To be clear, she's not actually quarantined-quarantined like in a separate room- just separated next to them since as you said, there's no infection and no danger to anyone else. But yeah, she will be happier when she's actually in the big cage, you're right.

She's been eating and drinking a bit on her own tonight, and there's a few eliminations in the small cage already. Tiny bit of blood in the urine, but small enough amount that I'm inclined to think it's residual and am not terribly worried. Will check again in the morning to see how she's doing then.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:46 am

A little blood will be normal. Metacam will help not only with pain but also with any inflammation.

So glad you found out what was going on with her!

Zaphy

Post   » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:42 am

I forgot to post an update. Clover's been doing great! She's started to gain a teeny bit of weight back, so we'll see if that continues. There was one incident on 10/3 where I found three small spots of blood in the cage, but it has not recurred since then so if it came from Clover, hopefully it was just some remaining irritation and is clear now. The stone results came back- calcium carbonate, yep. Not sure what I can do to her diet though- toying with the idea of eliminating pellets, but not sure if that's really practical or if it will really even make any impact (they get KMS pellets). The vet said that diet-wise I was pretty much doing everything right. Probably going to put another water bottle in the cage to encourage water consumption, Clover's never been shy about shoving anyone else away from the water so again I'm not sure if that'll help but it at least shouldn't hurt at any rate. The vet recommended a urinalysis once or twice a year to keep an eye on the levels, so I'll be planning on doing that. Also switching from romaine lettuce for their main fresh veg to green leaf- they like green leaf better anyway.

Fingers crossed that the issue does not come back, but time will tell I guess.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:03 am

Thanks for the update! It sounds like this may be under control and you have a plan. I hope she does drink more and that it helps.

Sef
I dissent.

Post   » Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:07 pm

Very good indeed. I have been battling stones in guinea pigs for years, and can tell you that some pigs will never have a bladder stone in their entire life, while other pigs are naturally prone to stones and will manufacture them no matter what you do. Increased fluids, regular exercise/activity, and a lower calcium diet can all sometimes help, but there is still very little known about what predisposes certain animals to forming stones or how to prevent it.

Here's hoping for a stone-free Clover for the rest of her days!

Zaphy

Post   » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:58 pm

Things are happening in clusters with my pigs again- found a small mammary mass on Clover today, about the size of an apple seed. Booked her in to the Fancy Vet™ asap which unfortunately means waiting for three weeks for an appointment. Will be keeping an eye on things to make sure it's not growing quickly though. Feels like a tumor to me, for what it's worth. I'm feeling hopeful since it's so small though (or I assume that's small for a guinea pig).

She appears extremely healthy apart from that though :)

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:45 pm

Mammary tumors often seem to be easily removed and are generally not cancerous so your plan sounds good. Hoping there are no complications!

Zaphy

Post   » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:32 am

Well, I was right- it is a tumor. The Fancy Vet actually expressed concern that "this kind of tumor" (I'm not sure if they identified the type of cancer with the aspirate or if he just meant mammary tumors in general) tends to metastasize to the lungs and rest of the reproductive tract. So what I was thinking was looking more like just a lumpectomy/mastectomy unless it was benign in which case do nothing, has turned into full diagnostics and spay, mastectomy, and lymphectomy. Clover's 4 1/2 which to me seems like just the edge of the "palliative care only due to age" line. I hate these decisions- not exactly a groundbreaking statement there, I know. She is otherwise in fantastic health though, so I'm tempted to go the full gamut... Without doing anything she'd maybe make it to 5, depending on how aggressive the cancer is? That is a respectable age... But if we were able to spay her and she recovered well given her health I would put money on her still having a couple years yet. Or she might die on the table. Blergh.

Maybe I should start doing elective spays on all my girls right after I get them before I get attached to them. That's a dumb idea, I just feel like I've run into reproductive tract issues so often now.