Yes, please do add them! Thanks.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:54 pm

Thanks!

Zaphy

Post   » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:06 pm

IT'S NOT A TUMOR! :D :D :D

I brought Violet in this morning for the ultrasound. The student who did the initial physical exam was able to palpate the mass, and they took her back for the u/s. Some time between the physical exam and u/s it apparently burst! They were unable to see it at all- even shaved her all the way around her little tummy and back. So hooray! Vet recommends a spay within the next couple months, which is nice financially. As long as no other disasters also happen.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:32 pm

Good news!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:19 pm

That is good news!

Zaphy

Post   » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:21 am

The spay is tomorrow. I hate worrying about all the risks associated with surgery.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:31 pm

I imagine you are ready. I hope all goes well!

www.guinealynx.info/.html

Zaphy

Post   » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:57 pm

The spay did not happen today. They began anesthesia and everything, but when they put her on her back for the operation she began to have difficulty breathing. They attempted to intubate her but were unsuccessful, so aborted the operation.

Earlier this afternoon I brought her home, she was still a bit woozy but doing ok. When I took her out of her carrier she had some trouble again with the breathing- it became a bit labored and she started trying to cough, and I just didn't trust it so I rushed her right back to the vet. By the time we got there her breathing had gone back to normal, but I was so spooked that I just had them admit her, and she will stay overnight there where she can be monitored. I think I am just too spooked now, and I think I would stress her out more than the hospital environment at this point.

They've given her a mild sedative and anti-inflammatory to calm her down in case she's stressed and to hopefully help with the irritation from the intubation, which is what they believe the breathing issues are right now.

No clue what caused the breathing difficulties under anesthesia. I think their leading theory right now is possibly the weight of her cecum etc was too much for her when she was turned on her back? She's had two surgeries before about one year ago, so I can't imagine that it was the anesthesia itself... I know there are a lot of unknowns with that stuff though. I wonder if there is some sort of underlying cause that we might be able to treat. Maybe she's harboring a mild respiratory infection that wasn't bad enough that she was showing symptoms till she was weakened by anesthetic?? I dunno if that's even possible.

So right now the tentative plan is to let Violet recover, and try again in a few weeks. If it still doesn't go well then we'll probably look into the hormone injections.

I'm just happy she's alive (knock on wood).

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:42 pm

Poor girl. Sorry there were complications! I hope she is ready to try again in a few weeks.

mmeadow
Supporter 2004-2022

Post   » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:46 am

How frightening!

Zaphy

Post   » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:00 pm

Brought her home this morning, and she is doing much better. She's still obviously got some irritation in her throat that's making her raspy, but she was VERY spooked at the vet's when I got her, and as soon as she was put back in her cage she snapped back to normal. Sounds like she was having a bit of trouble eating over the evening and night- they had to syringe feed her once, and it sounds like the rest of the time she didn't eat that much- but she's attacking her hay pretty ravenously now.

Her breathing has gotten slightly more labored and I can hear that raspiness again, so I've given her some leftover Meloxicam that I had on hand from a previous pig's surgery to hopefully calm the irritation a bit. The vet suggested that part of the reason she wasn't eating well yesterday was because of the pain in her throat, so we'll see if that helps. I'll be keeping an eye on her.

Catie Cavy
Supporter 2011-2020

Post   » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:55 pm

I wonder if she has a heart condition? My Fluffy had similar problems with anesthesia and was subsequently diagnosed with a heart condition. She is doing well on benazapril.