Jill, Jaffa and Jupiter

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:48 am

Took Jill to the vet today and vet was happy with her. In 10 days she had put on 120grams but poops whilst mushy had some sort of shape.

He said she had Cystitis. Where she didn't have stones but an inflamed intestines and bowels. Especially when she strained and pushed but no poop or pee comes out. He checked urine and poop, urine normal and no bugs in poops.

He said to give steroid for 2 days miss a day, give 2 days and miss a day for 2 weeks and report back. At least for now it is a relief! Will keep you posted.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:56 pm

It sounds like you’re getting on top of the issues, hope you see improvement!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed May 19, 2021 1:19 pm

Thanks for the replies. Jill is still having same problems, strange thing is once a day maybe twice her poops will be normal but sticky but most times blobs.

The straining and pushing is getting worse, she does this even if there is nothing that comes out. The blood has now disappeared thankfully!

Has decided to remove all veggies and hand feed every 4 hours instead of 6 in hopes of keeping weight on her with is now below 800grams. Now the girls are in our lounge where my PC is, how does one ignore a squeaking piggy who wants her food?

How long should I with hold food? Till poops normal or weight lost? I have never had this before in piggies. But test have proven it is IBD. Any advice much appreciated.

Medication: She is on Anaplex 0.01ml once a day, Predislone(sp) 0.08mls 2 days miss a day and so forth,Pron8ature(used to be Protexin) twice a day. Metomide 10th of a tablet twice a day. Will keep you posted and thank-you!

Vet wanted me to use charcoal on her food, just sprinkle on her food, but was told it would stop her medication giving her the full benefits. What do you all think? It would be a small amount once a day.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Wed May 19, 2021 10:01 pm

Perhaps you could stagger the use of the charcoal so it does not interfere with the medications?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu May 20, 2021 3:53 am

Had to restart normal feeding as being on just Critical Care and water made poor either more mushy or none there. She has also started to have spasms/tremors.

Made vet appointment for tomorrow as not happy with her at all! Have stopped glucose as told sugar bad. She was getting 0.02mls twice a day.

Thanks for reply Lynx will post again tomorrow. Maybe mushy poops are the norm from now on?

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Thu May 20, 2021 10:02 pm

0.02mls is a very tiny amount. As a human, if my sugar levels got low (failed to eat enough), I would be trembly and hungry. I wonder if the glucose might help with the tremors. I understand how worrisome this is. I hope you can get her sorted out.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri May 21, 2021 5:52 am

Thanks for reply Lynx, it would be 0.02mls twice a day. OK don't ask me how but the bad parasite is back in her poops, vet only saw the one and it took him some time to see that.

I had to stop him twice as he was going to give her medication that would have killed her BUT instead of saying hey I am the vet not you, he looked it up and saw I was right!

So for now she is back on Flagyl and on Tuesday have to go back and he will send a poop sample off to be tested. Now maybe I am wrong but I thought a piggy had to be off antibiotics for at least a week before poop testing. But I will ask the vet when I see him Tuesday after I get my own blood test(YIKES!). Will keep you posted.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri May 21, 2021 8:54 am

I could be wrong but I thought parasites in poops were something a vet would examine using an office microscope. They are hit or miss because sometimes they are passed in the feces but sometimes not. But this may depend on the particular parasite. What does he suspect? Is it indeed something treated using antibiotics rather than an antiparasitic?

What was the dangerous medication your vet considered giving?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat May 22, 2021 6:15 am

He did not tell me, he did consider using Doxy but after Jaffa and Joy's experiences with it where they went off their food and lost weight and poops were mushy right up to they passed I begged him not to go for that. One of the medications was/has to given by injection and is a slow release antibiotic. She has been on Enrofloxacin, Bactrim and Flagyl to no affect except to make things worse.

You know a normal parasite in a piggy's poop? Well this is the same BUT much much bigger. He DID see it under his microscope BUT he wants to send a sample off so they can find out what is the best antibiotic that will kill them instead of all this hit and miss that is happening so far.

Thanks for the reply Lynx, so far no change in her poops, will update if any change or Tuesday after vet visit! Thanks again.

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Sat May 22, 2021 10:20 am

Just a word of caution.

Antibiotics are NOT given to kill parasites. They are anti-bacteria, not anti-parasite. You need an anti-parasitic agent to kill parasites. Flagyl is one, ivermectin is another. I'm sure there are others.

Are you sure this vet knows what he's doing? I think it's a good thing he's sending a sample off, since I'm not at all sure he understands what he's doing.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sat May 22, 2021 9:39 pm

If you can tell us what parasite he thinks this is, it would be helpful.

Sorry your guinea pigs do not do well on doxycycline. It is considered a safe antibiotic.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun May 23, 2021 2:18 am

After what happened at the last vet surgery with Jan and the others I am watching these vets very closely! Jill was given antibiotics at first as she had blood in the urine so she was treated for an infection.

When Ashley got to see her the first time round the parasite was gone as Flagyl had killed them off. The lady vet I saw sent samples off but stupid pathologist stuck samples in the fridge killing anything in the poops off. Even the cultures were put in the fridge, hence is why they all came back clear.

Ashley said to see bugs under microscope have to have it on very high setting. There are small good healthy bugs in her poops the big bugs are the same as small ones but much bigger. He has always admitted he didn't know what they were.

As for Doxy a vet just has to mention it and I and my pigs will run a mile! It upset both Jaffa and Joy's gut flora that we were never able to get it right and they ended up passing NOT because of it but with it. Protexin I guess was not strong enough to repair the damage caused. Jaffa we think had teeth issues and Joy heart issues these are what we think killed our babies.

Will let you know how we get on, last time cultures took ages, but the preliminary results were in in a few days. I trust Ashley as I feel he is doing his best and best of all he listens to me! Thanks for the replies bpatters and Lynx, keep you posted.