Jill, Jaffa and Jupiter

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:00 am

Okay, went to the vet not the usual ones but one who has seen our girls before. Heart, lungs sounded good, gut sounds also good.
Tried to take temp but Jill cried out again, so for now back onto Entrotril Oral Solution 0.4mgs for another 5 days. Have made appointment for next week for X-rays with her normal vet. Now off all food except for carrot and hay. Weight gone up 20grams even though not eating has me concerned too.
Keep you posted Thanks Lynx.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:12 pm

Is she getting any Critical Care or vitamin C supplement? The weight of 20 grams is a little more than a tablespoon of water, so it could be the difference between a full and empty bladder. Unless there's a trend over a period of days, I don't know if it's something to be concerned about.

I hope you find out what's going on with her, and that she starts eating better and feeling better.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:14 pm

NO vitamin C as last time with a pinch she went off food. Husband is syringe feeding Critical Care every 6 hours. She was weighed Christmas Eve and was 980grams, 5 days later 1020grams, then another 6 days 1040grams. 3 doses of Entrotril and no interest in food. Thanks ItsaZoo. Keep you posted.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:12 am

Had to take Jill off Entrotril as she developed runny mushy poops. Took to the vet has lost 80grams in 3 days she is now on Flagyl for a week half a ml twice a day.

Then in a week she will have X-rays. She is going same way as sister Jaffa did 12 months ago, sadly we lost her. Her current weight is 960grams. She is still not eating. Was eating grass but has stopped that too. Keep you posted!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:33 am

I am so sorry to hear about her mushy poops and weight loss. I know how devoted you are to your guinea pigs. So hoping she turns around.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:09 am

When she does these mushy poops she whines, so am going to take the risk and put her on Meloxicam as well as Flagyl and Protexin even if only for a few days at 0.2mls twice a day. Was told Meloxicam upsets the tummy even though we ALWAYS give with syringe food. Vet was worried tummy already upset with mushy poops. Lost another 40grams down to 920grams.

Is it Ok if she gets Flagyl at 4.00am and 4.00pm, Meloxicam at 7.00am and 7.00pm and then Protexin 10.00am and 10.00pm? Are they spaced far enough apart?
Thanks guys!

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:50 am

For now decided not to give the meloxicam and we didn't want to upset Jill's tummy any further. Have decided to stay on Flagyl(NOT doing a thing), Protexin and poop soup courtesy of Jay and Jersey. And see if she improves poop wise. She did eat ALL her breakfast but only grass(cat/wheat grass) since.

Her sister Jaffa had same problem after doses of antibiotics and sadly passed away whilst she still had it, hoping with Jill it will have a different out come!

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:25 am

I can't comment on the timing of the doses (don't know) but hope they work out okay for her.

Are you able to get the green, stinky poops (ceacal feces) to give?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:52 am

Are you able to get the green, stinky poops (ceacal feces) to give?

Just the normal poops. Jay 2 years, Jersey 14 months move very quickly. Will see how we go for now, otherwise will have to have Jay and Jersey out till we DO get the Ceacal poops. Thanks Lynx.

ItsaZoo
Supporter in 2023

Post   » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:20 pm

I hope you can get this under control. Sometimes it’s so hard to balance meds and figure out what is causing what. But as you well know, antibiotics in general mess with digestion.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:24 pm

Not getting my hopes up but poop soup may be working. I will have to get Jay and Jersey out to try and get some more! Thanks ItsaZoo.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:44 am

Went to vet and thankfully no stones. BUT Jill has wind everywhere, tummy, intestines and abdomen. So she is (a) back onto Flagyl twice a day, Metomide a tenth of a tablet twice a day, Protexin twice a day and poop soup 4 times a day. Hoping she will improve.

I know Flagyl is for 7 days not sure on Metomide as vet was busy. Windy is pushing on diaphragm so she may be in pain. Should I put her on Meloxicam even though she is drinking a lot of water? It could be kidneys or she could be trying to push things a long. Lynx will send you the X-rays. There's 4 all up choose the ones that are best.

Jill doesn't feel or look gassy, tummy not extended, not hard, showing no signs of being gassy. Had me stumped but vet picked it up as soon as she looked at her. Weird one for me. To be gassy but show no signs.