Jill, Jaffa and Jupiter

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:52 pm

Okay we lost Jessie 7 Months ago and Jemma 6 months ago and we got Jill, Jupiter and Jaffa in the hope they would be company for Jasmine.

But Jasmine did not like them so they are being kept together. The spooky thing is these 3 were born the day Jessie left us and Jill looks a little similar to Jessie.

Anyway's ever since about 2 months old Jaffa and Jupiter have sores on them only one or two every 2-4 weeks like bite marks. Sorry the pictures are blurry. Jill about every 4-6 weeks. Is this a dominence thing between Jaffa and Jupiter? We've never seen any agro between them. Or maybe it is Jill? Though doubt it as she's a real sweet-heart and so placid. We get a cotton bud, dip it in warm salty water and bathe the scrapes.
Here are some pictures, first the 3 of them when we first got them, love the way Jaffa and Jupiter are holding paws.
In order it is Jaffa, Jupiter in the middle and Jill on the end. They are now 7 months old.

All marks/bites are behind the head, sometimes on the back. There is nothing sharp in their cage. I am hoping this will settle down soon.
Sorry pictures are so big but have trouble downsizing them with photobucket.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:24 pm

I can't see the bite marks very well. Perhaps bugs? Have you treated for mites with ivermectin?

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:06 am

No have not treated with anything. May take to vet Friday to see Carol. Thanks Lynx.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:49 am

Treating for mites was the first thing I thought of too. How much do they weigh? You should not use ivermectin under about 12 oz. (340-350 g).

How big is their cage?

Girls go through puberty/territorial issues/pecking order establishment same as boars do, although usually not as badly or as violently as boars can get.

You're treating the injuries well (if nipping injuries is in fact what they are), but the potential problem is any nips you DON'T see. Anything you don't see under their fur is something that can potentially abscess.

If you see Carol, please let us know what she says and keep us posted.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:48 am

Jaffa the brown face one weighs 1060grams at 7 months old, Jill at 7 months old weighs 980grams and little Jupiter the black one weighs 950grams.

The cage is 9ft long and is wooden and when weather permits they do go outside in their outdoor pen but we are in Winter at present.

Jaffa, Jupiter and Jasmine are all booked into see Carol tomorrow as getting Jasmine's fatty lumps checked to see if others have grown and that none are growing in bad areas like thoart or nipples etc.

Will definately keep you posted on how we go tomorrow at the vet. It will be their first trip.

Talishan
You can quote me

Post   » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:17 am

Best to all of them and to you. Keep us posted.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:11 am

Took the mob to the vet, Carol fell in love with all 3 of them. She said definatly the marks were bites and that they are establishing the pecking order.

She checked weight, ears, body and teeth and all 3 just stood there and let her do it. I am NOT use to pigs like this who like the vet. Maybe I need to take their temp?

She said the pros of keeping them together outweigh the cons of seperating them. If however one gets picked on too much then seperate or if bites get worse and draw more blood.

So for now keep going as we are and keep an eye on them and an ear open. So thanks Lynx and Talishan for the replies and advise.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:00 am

A really big living space always helps. Note if one of them is particularly aggressive. May be a hormonal issue that could be helped by a spay.

www.guinealynx.info/_cysts.html

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:39 pm

Okay I am looking for suggestions for Jupiter? She is forever trying to pierce my husband's ear lobe with her teeth(she has bitten it quite hard a few times) she makes it bleed then goes to lick the blood.

How can we stop the vampire pig? Any suggestions much appreciated. She and her sister's are nearly 10 months old. None of her sister's do it. They bite his neck or clothes.

Jupiter is the black and white one. Jaffa the brown faced one and Jill the white face one.

Lynx
Celebrate!!!

Post   » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:41 pm

I can only think of careful handling and keeping her very far from any ears.

www.guinealynx.info/.html

bpatters
And got the T-shirt

Post   » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:42 pm

My suggestion would be to not let her anywhere near your husband's ears. Or let the others near his neck.

That kind of biting is very easy to resolve. Just don't put the pig in a position to be able to do it.

daisymay
Supporter 2016-2021

Post   » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:48 am

Just don't put the pig in a position to be able to do it.
My husband has them one at a time laying on his chest/shoulder. Jupiter has always bitten, she licks first then nips, Jaffa is the same. Jill prefers to nip clothes like zips or collars.

When I hold them one at a time I put them into the crook of my elbow BUT Jupiter and Jaffa still bite my arm. Jupiter actually bit a skin tag I had on my arm.

Now I hold them in the crook of my elbow but have a towel covering my skin, which for now is working out. Thanks for the replies Lynx and bpatters.